Old 26 February 2014, 21:25   #21

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
A pal of mine has a 2.0 L D passat reckons its great on fuel roughly 500 miles a tank full up 5 persons on board.
How big is the tank????

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
I'd avoid ford. Just no durability.
Errr two Fiestas to 160 & 130K respectively, current Focus to 186K.... I guess you got a Friday car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Agree with HP again!!! Aaaagh for very good real mpg vehicles Go German..
Mondeo... that'll be the one built in Cologne and half designed in Germany, half in Britain ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesF View Post
This might be a useful resource (the Telegraph Motoring agony uncle's "Real MPG" database): Real MPGs | Honest John
Cheers, my poking of Google somehow didn't find that.
Old 26 February 2014, 21:46   #22

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
How big is the tank???? Errr two Fiestas to 160 & 130K respectively, current Focus to 186K.... I guess you got a Friday car! Mondeo... that'll be the one built in Cologne and half designed in Germany, half in Britain ???? Cheers, my poking of Google somehow didn't find that.
Duno I can only dream of such figures unless he is telling porkies I get 350 m out of 75 L in the Defender
Old 26 February 2014, 22:06   #23

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Little bit unfair on the Fords. We have Ford Focus pool cars at work and they're great work horses. The diesel TDCi models are frugal (easily 55mpg), comfortable on long drives, plenty torque, but lack refinement.

If you were looking for an estate, then the VW Passat has to be in the short-list. It's bigger than an Audi A4, has excellent residual value, decent diesel engines with smooth power delivery and enough toys to keep you interested.

I know this isn't in the mix but the Volvo V50 eDrive (up to 2012) is a fantastic car. If you opt for the SE Lux level it comes with leather interior (most comfortable seats I've ever tried), start stop technology, frugal 1.6 diesel engine (should do 65mpg, but is quoted to do 78mpg), £0 road tax, electric sunroof, Sat Nav, LED running lights, folding mirrors, usual safety kit, etc. 2011 examples with 30k miles in region of £14k.
Old 26 February 2014, 22:30   #24

Town: Lancashire
Boat name: Trigger Happy
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI: 235907196
I just offloaded my 2011 Fiesta 1.4 tdci with 23k miles, by far the worst car I have owned. Fuel economy was around 44mpg combined, but the worst bit was it leaked. The footwell was an inch deep of a morning, and despite it being under warranty, Ford said that it was only covered for 1 year against leaks.

Google it, it's very common apparently. I wouldn't touch another Ford.
Old 26 February 2014, 22:37   #25
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I wouldn't bother my lad Jonny is driving an old clio £1700 to insure 3 rd party
I was shocked recently at the price of insurance the youth face, my 18yro Daughter passed her test back in January, the cheapest insurace she could find was with those offering the black box option, with more discount if she took the motorway speed awareness course, which she took and passed the other day, so the 11 plate 998cc Suzuki Alto she's been driving round since early Feb has gone from just over 1k pa to under 800 pa, plus she can get a 100 squid discount if the black box shows good driving stats. the car and insurance all registered in her name too. It says in the book the Suzuki should do 75mpg motorway or 52mpg around town.
Old 26 February 2014, 22:43   #26

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
BMW 320d touring.
177 bhp
58 mpg recorded today with roof box on motorways!!
49 mpg local
.........enough said
Old 26 February 2014, 22:43   #27

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
If you were looking for an estate, then the VW Passat has to be in the short-list. It's bigger than an Audi A4, has excellent residual value, decent diesel engines with smooth power delivery and enough toys to keep you interested.
It is and I am, but compared to the Mondeos they are like hens' teeth round here.

As a general comment there are lots of frugal 1.6 Diesel versions of cars out there. Thing is it also has to drag my rib around, hence looking at the 2-ish L Diesel arena.
Old 26 February 2014, 23:05   #28

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Nae busses or taxis, we have a train station a mile away though, two trains a day!
....but you've got rib heaven on your doorstep!
Old 27 February 2014, 03:00   #29

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deekus View Post
BMW 320d touring.
177 bhp
58 mpg recorded today with roof box on motorways!!
49 mpg local
.........enough said
Is that USA MPG or some made up MPG? That is far better than either of our Prius' get, including our 2013 Prius, and a vehicle that does not have nearly the aerodynamics, and low vehicle weight.

Here in the USA the Prius is the clear winner in MPG and most importantly...reliability. As much as I like German cars, they just can't compete.
Old 27 February 2014, 05:35   #30

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I have had the pleasure of two ford mondeos a 1993 and a 2001 modeks. both petrol both very good. I have heard of a lot of problems with the rwd one though, stick with the fwd models

no one where i live would touch a rwd mondeo
Old 27 February 2014, 06:46   #31

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
depends on your driving style also my friend
Old 27 February 2014, 07:30   #32

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
depends on your driving style also my friend

Talking of which, am I the only one who seems to find myself following far too many people these days who appear to be wholly concerned with fuel economy, are religiously glued to the infernal SATnav and therefore completely oblivious to anyone else on the road or anything else going on around them?
Old 27 February 2014, 07:36   #33

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Ford bashing - My downer on them is that whilst they drive well and some of the engines are good, their durability based on numbers left on the road and the experiences anyone i know has had, is poor.

Everyone i know who has had them is in the garage each year with all sorts of little things once they are 5 years old or more, which when you add labour can be a big drain on finances. Wishbones, ecu's, water pumps, cv joints etc

(Vauxhall are no better)

VW 2004-2009ish do have less solid interiors, though they drove beautifully, the interior build materials were improved after this though on the golf mk6 for example.

There's a reason VW are more expensive new and when they are older. It's not badge snobbery either, as that doesn't stand the test of time on second hand prices. This is proved by certain poorly made models in some brands, look at the ML mercs compared to the X5s for example that were built around 2004. Similar new, but not once they prove to be unreliable.

You pays your money you take your chance one out of warranty and all cars can be a dog, but its best to pick a good breed and get the right chances of it behaving!
Old 27 February 2014, 07:42   #34

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Just recently got rid of an 09 Shogun which averaged about 19mpg, was costing a fortune to run. Changed to an A4 estate, it's the 170hp 2.0 TDI, I'm now getting 47mpg and that's driving it reasonably quickly.
Old 27 February 2014, 07:55   #35

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
I do find that Mass produced cheap cars like Ford Vauxhall Citroen Renault are just nasty.. I got given a modego as a co car, it was like driving a plank of wood..I Had to destroy it to unsure its total demise... It Japanese and German that sadly make the more desirable car

My old Man loves his shitroens.. always buys new.. every 3-4 years,, this latest one..C4 loads of probs. wont go into those but, the sat nav is so ill thought out its unuseable. the MPG for the latest petrol engine coupled to an autobox is terrible,, cannot average even 30 mpg!!
Old 27 February 2014, 08:07   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhf View Post
I was shocked recently at the price of insurance the youth face, my 18yro Daughter passed her test back in January, the cheapest insurace she could find was with those offering the black box option, with more discount if she took the motorway speed awareness course, which she took and passed the other day, so the 11 plate 998cc Suzuki Alto she's been driving round since early Feb has gone from just over 1k pa to under 800 pa, plus she can get a 100 squid discount if the black box shows good driving stats. the car and insurance all registered in her name too. It says in the book the Suzuki should do 75mpg motorway or 52mpg around town.
Think it depends on the age of the car as well Jonnys belong to my mother it's an S reg and was a freebie
Old 27 February 2014, 08:09   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Ford bashing - My downer on them is that whilst they drive well and some of the engines are good, their durability based on numbers left on the road and the experiences anyone i know has had, is poor. Everyone i know who has had them is in the garage each year with all sorts of little things once they are 5 years old or more, which when you add labour can be a big drain on finances. Wishbones, ecu's, water pumps, cv joints etc (Vauxhall are no better) VW 2004-2009ish do have less solid interiors, though they drove beautifully, the interior build materials were improved after this though on the golf mk6 for example. There's a reason VW are more expensive new and when they are older. It's not badge snobbery either, as that doesn't stand the test of time on second hand prices. This is proved by certain poorly made models in some brands, look at the ML mercs compared to the X5s for example that were built around 2004. Similar new, but not once they prove to be unreliable. You pays your money you take your chance one out of warranty and all cars can be a dog, but its best to pick a good breed and get the right chances of it behaving!
Makes a change from land rover bashing then
Old 27 February 2014, 08:09   #38

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Just to add something else into the mix.... Ever thought about the toyota Rav4?

The missus has a 58 plate, great MPG, looking at 47.6 combined, its one of those cars that we are actually getting MORE than the book.

It's 4wd too so its great for launching.
Old 27 February 2014, 08:20   #39

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
BMW 320d touring. 177 bhp 58 mpg recorded today with roof box on motorways!! 49 mpg local .........enough said
Cracking cars just watch those swirl valves.....
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2014, 08:48   #40

Town: Kyles of Bute
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Only one option for me! Skoda superb estate 170bhp 50mpg. 4X4 .A 2011 can be had in top spec for £11-12K. Huge capacity and better reviews than passats etc.