Old 21 August 2006, 16:10   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Audi A3 2.0Tdi DSG, S-Line

I know this is completely un Rib related, but we're getting p*****d off with Audi, we have a 2004 Audi A3 with 23k miles, 2.0 TDI DSG Gearbox, we have a problem with the Gear Box I believe, sometimes when you pull away it stalls, now I thought it impossible to stall and automatic car, obiously not, also sometimes it kangaroos away from T-Junctions. Has anyone else had similar faults. Audi have re-mapped/programmed the gear box and new oil and say problem is sorted, but it isn't and they think it's the way we drive. (Both of us that is, after all how difficult is it to drive an automatic car, first auto I've driven that behaves like this). Any ideas?
Old 21 August 2006, 16:32   #2

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Dont blame you. I had an A6 for a couple of years and wasn't too impressed
with the quality. Much overated for what it is. My carpet wore out - drivers feet and underneath was just frigolite. The other gripe was I had to drive my mother in law home , and to ensure that her door was next to her doorstep- did a u turn - but went over the kerb and the front fell down on to a drain cover- cost over 1000 quid just in parts ( support- bumber- new intercooler, new ect) -

Anyway- like Mercedes Sprinter drivers- Audi owners are always having to prove that they are superior to others( As far as I know Codders doesnt own
an Audi)

Jonathan
Old 21 August 2006, 16:34   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
went over the kerb and the front fell down on to a drain cover
Wasn't really the car's fault was it
Old 21 August 2006, 16:58   #4

Wasn't really the car's fault was it

Of course you are right... BUT the fall wasnt more than 10 inches - yet the whole underside -offside front was damaged and I was only doing 5 mph- it seems that the cost to put it right was out of all proportion.

Jonathan
Old 21 August 2006, 17:31   #5

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
I'm not doing to well with Audis this month, mines been in for a service now for 11 days and still waiting on a part on back order from germany. In the meantime I've had an a6 2.0 tdi dsg as a courtesy car - brand new with 14 miles on the clock when handed over to me - now fcked and got an A3 2.0T.

I cant tell if these two things are related or helpful to you, but in the week and a half of having the A6, I probably stalled it 6/7 times - like you, I thought this was impossible. Then on Friday on the M27 the "coil" warning light came on and I started to slowly lose power and depressing the accelerator just made it worse...so pulled over, turned ignitiion off and re-started her...all fine until 2 miles down the road same symptoms, pull over re-start. Did this half a dozen times until home...Not a happy chap. Saturday morning, Audi mobile technician arrives and tells me that the turbo is knackered, as is the engine management system. Talking about the stalling, the technician said it was probably the ems - the dealer should be able to tweak this with some computer gadgetery.

eupa, if you think your bill was mental, try a 40,000 mile service and a cambelt change on an rs6 and you'll fall off your chair.
Old 21 August 2006, 19:12   #6

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
IVE GOT A 2004 AUDI 1.9 TDI MULTITRONIC, crap is the best word i can find,
gearbox 2 , input shaft slips, juddering when pull away, and stalling,
gearbox 3, ecu goes and tell the gearbox to stop working, new ecu fitted, then gearbox 3 decides it doesnt want to work anymore,

Cardiff Audi have been great!! always lent me decent cars,
its coming up for change, so drove a dsg boxed car and was great, maybe not so great as there are more issues,
Old 21 August 2006, 19:12   #7

eupa, if you think your bill was mental, try a 40,000 mile service and a cambelt change on an rs6 and you'll fall off your chair.

Yep ...this is again one my gripes. When a garage ( especially audi/vw) sells you a new car- they are lucky to make 2% clear. They get it back from you by excesseive maintenance charges- and unless you stay with an authorised agent- the guarantee is void.
I have had VW passats and we do about 300.000 kms a year/vehicle.The passat is a good car and well built but you have to change the belts every 80000 kms.The belts costs about 25 quid but the whole job will set you back some 800 quid!!!!!!!!. Why? because they must also change the water-pump,-the tensioner and associated pulleys and this takes 6 hours labour. They change the pump and tensioner- because they have a nasty habit of seizing up, breaking the belt and voila no more engine.So in order not to supply you a new engine under guarantee- they would prefer that you pay water-pumps, tensioners ect.

Not exactly an honest policy to make up for a fundamental design fault.
I am surprised that master of all things mechanical ( codders) hasn't added his pennyworth

jonathan
Old 21 August 2006, 20:00   #8

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
So don't buy Audi then.

Are skoda's just as bad then? I was looking at an Octavia 1.8T 4X4 Est. Basicly the same running gear as all Audi, VW and Seat.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2006, 20:18   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
They get it back from you by excesseive maintenance charges- and unless you stay with an authorised agent- the guarantee is void.
not any more in the UK. the Office of Fair Trading has declared this unfair and forced the industry to allow non main dealers to do servicing.
Old 21 August 2006, 21:19   #10
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
On my 5th Audi and bar the and bar the hassle I had with the head gasket on the RS2 all have been 100% spot on. The problem is the more electronics you stick in a thing the more opportunity for hassle you have. And yes I know I am starting to sound like some one talking about Land Rovers.
Old 21 August 2006, 23:08   #11

Town: Clitheroe
If this is how Audi and presumably VB being in the same group are. we all know Mercs aren’t great for reliability or prices, what bout BMW? Price is a rip off, reliability?
Old 22 August 2006, 02:49   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt
On my 5th Audi and bar the and bar the hassle I had with the head gasket on the RS2 all have been 100% spot on. The problem is the more electronics you stick in a thing the more opportunity for hassle you have. And yes I know I am starting to sound like some one talking about Land Rovers.
Yes come on Gavin - how about a thread on Audis???
Old 22 August 2006, 08:24   #13

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Bear in mind that the DSG is not an ordinary gearbox. It's two electrically controlled hydraulic clutches operating a manual gearbox with split second gearchanges. So just like you can stall a manual car, if the computer aint working right then I'm sure the DSG can stall as well. Personally I think it's fantastic, no power loss and smooth changes, but then mines still working alright.

Keith
(driver of a petrol A3 2.0T DSG)
Old 22 August 2006, 08:51   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
Bear in mind that the DSG is not an ordinary gearbox. It's two electrically controlled hydraulic clutches operating a manual gearbox with split second gearchanges. So just like you can stall a manual car, if the computer aint working right then I'm sure the DSG can stall as well. Personally I think it's fantastic, no power loss and smooth changes, but then mines still working alright.

Keith
(driver of a petrol A3 2.0T DSG)
Going to take it back to Audi again Tuesday next week, so see what they come up with again, stalled again this morning poxey thing.
Old 22 August 2006, 09:55   #15

not any more in the UK. the Office of Fair Trading has declared this unfair and forced the industry to allow non main dealers to do servicing.

No- they got aroud this one, by refusing to sell to a non authorised agent the
special tools and diagnostic computers that are necessary to do the servicing.

This is particular for later models.- I believe after 2004.

jonathan
Old 22 August 2006, 10:04   #16

If this is how Audi and presumably VB being in the same group are. we all know Mercs aren’t great for reliability or prices, what bout BMW? Price is a rip off, reliability?

It seems an inherent culture with the VW group. I have not encounted this kind of protection with other makes- although I would be the first to admit that a VW is a well built car compared to similar priced vehicles. However, having said that - my wife has a 2005 BMW 320d estate and it is better than the similar VW or Audi. The motor has a chain for the cam, and servicing is comparitively very cheap.The motor is more economical, and will easily do 300000 kms without major problems.Mercedes, do they make cars???

Jonathan
Old 22 August 2006, 10:43   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

No- they got aroud this one, by refusing to sell to a non authorised agent the
special tools and diagnostic computers that are necessary to do the servicing.

This is particular for later models.- I believe after 2004.

jonathan
Then buy a car that is put together with normal tools and stop moaning about it. I know for a fact that my local garage services almost any vehicle and does so with the warranty remaining valid. The only exception I am aware of is citreon hydroelastic suspension - where they, probably sensibly, suggested that I really should take it to citreon dealer, cause its not something they are experts in. I have no idea what happens in Belgium.
Old 22 August 2006, 11:21   #18

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
MMSI: Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
So don't buy Audi then.

Are skoda's just as bad then? I was looking at an Octavia 1.8T 4X4 Est. Basicly the same running gear as all Audi, VW and Seat.

Buy a Skoda!!

I had my Octavia 2.0TDi for 18 months with my last job.
I put 50 k on it in that time and it was great.
The 2.0 TDi engine is a stormer.
You get a lot of car for your money too.

Only fault on mine was the turbo inlet pipe clip failed. 80mph + turbo - oil = BANG!!!

Skoda collected the car, gave me another Octavia, and had mine back to me in two days.

If I was gonna buy a car I wouldn't go anywhere else.

ps. Tow well too with all that diesel power!!

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2006, 11:40   #19

I have no idea what happens in Belgium

I AM NOT MOANING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST COMPLAINING

In Belgium, VW have a vicious, monopolistic, ignorant, stupid, sole importer, and in the main part the attitude is carried forward to the retailers. When a main dealer has to have a permament member of staff just to inform customers that when they come to pick up their cars- that they better check with their bank manger first - something aint right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

As regards buying a car made with ordinary tools, can'find one- and of course
cant afford a rolls, and I dont want one with a wooden chassis either( Morgan). This my spec:

cost < 5000 quid
takes 3000 kgs payload
does 200 mpg
service interval every 100.000 miles

should be possible

Jonathan
Old 22 August 2006, 12:00   #20

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
.... I dont want one with a wooden chassis either (Morgan). ....
Good job really... since they don't have a wooden chassis...