Old 08 February 2007, 14:29   #1

Town: London
Length: no boat
A 4x4 question (sorry). 4HLR vs 4LLR

A dumb 4x4 question and I really SHOULD know this.

With all this snow, seems opportune to ask.

Under what conditions should I be using 4HLR vs 4LLR or vice versa in my Shogun? I appreciate LLR is Low ratio (good for rock climbing). The manual is very unhelpful (describes LLR for "getting out of tight spots").

Deep sand?
Slippery slipways?
Snow?
Grass?
Deep mud?

Anyone recommend a low cost 4x4 training course?

Thanks

Rich
Old 08 February 2007, 14:34   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Rich,

It all depends on the conditions in each of the circumstances you have stated.

Don't be afraid to use it and try it out for yourself. If you don't use these functions on 4 X 4s you eventually get problems with seals etc drying out.

I wouldn't have use Low Ratio today to get to work for instance but if I was crossing a muddy field then I would certainly consider it.

I wouldn't use it on a road or track with 1 inch of snow but certainly would if it was over 1 foot deep.

As regards a course here is somewhere to start looking.

http://www.landrover.org/Links.html

Regards Nick.
Old 08 February 2007, 14:36   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
A dumb 4x4 question and I really SHOULD know this.

With all this snow, seems opportune to ask.

Under what conditions should I be using 4HLR vs 4LLR or vice versa in my Shogun? I appreciate LLR is Low ratio (good for rock climbing). The manual is very unhelpful (describes LLR for "getting out of tight spots").

Deep sand?
Slippery slipways?
Snow?
Grass?
Deep mud?

Anyone recommend a low cost 4x4 training course?

Thanks

Rich

2x4 - dry roads and normal driving

4x4 high - grass fields, snow, very very wet roads

4x4 low - sand, deeper snow, mud, fording water, boat/car recovery etc

You may also find that 4x4 switching is advised with the car stopped and it's best to be in the low range before you need it
Old 08 February 2007, 18:00   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Do you get transmission windup on grippy surfaces with this setup then? Advantages of the LR are they are always in 4wd.
Old 08 February 2007, 18:46   #5

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Don't really see that as an advantage of the landrover.. Would much rather just be rwd on the roads all the time.

In my pickup today I only used 4wd on a handfull of roads which were completely covered in snow or up steep hills.
If you use 4wd on grippy surfaces when your tyres can't spin you get transmission windup which will do some damage over a period of time.

Low box, just for steep hills, wading, deep mud. Situations when you can't or don't want to drive at normal road speeds.
4wdHI, for snowy roads, slightly muddy fields, gravel tracks maybe. When you want to keep up a decent speed but aren't on a grippy surface.

Harry
Old 08 February 2007, 19:16   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Do you get transmission windup on grippy surfaces with this setup then? Advantages of the LR are they are always in 4wd.

yes big time the truck jumps as the tyres let go
Old 08 February 2007, 19:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0 View Post
Don't really see that as an advantage of the landrover.. Would much rather just be rwd on the roads all the time.

In my pickup today I only used 4wd on a handfull of roads which were completely covered in snow or up steep hills.
If you use 4wd on grippy surfaces when your tyres can't spin you get transmission windup which will do some damage over a period of time.

Low box, just for steep hills, wading, deep mud. Situations when you can't or don't want to drive at normal road speeds.
4wdHI, for snowy roads, slightly muddy fields, gravel tracks maybe. When you want to keep up a decent speed but aren't on a grippy surface.

Harry

The advantages of full time 4wd are huge - for example today I was driving some very slippery roads that had patches of tarmac showing through now and again. It certainly didn't warrent diff lock but I know it would have been hard work in a RWD car. With the LR system you only get wind up if you use the diff lock. When I hit the Roman Road I had to use diff lock - virgin snow over sheet ice!!!

Also when you are towing permanent 4wd is much safer.

It sounds to me very much like the old system they had on the Series Land Rovers years ago.
Old 08 February 2007, 20:10   #8

OK great thanks all. The other obvious question is...

When pulling away in LLR (or HLR) on a slipway say, or on ice - is there any advantage to being in 2nd gear (4 gear auto box, diesel) instead of relying on the auto-box?

Thanks

Rich
Old 08 February 2007, 20:13   #9

Its very similar.

I have the same setup on my Frontera. Can be a pain in the not so bad conditions where you only need 4 wheel drive briefly. But I suppose it does save on fuel when in 2 wheel drive mode.

Mine is an absolute b----- to steer at slow speeds in 4 wheel drive on tarmac. In fact you can't steer it.

Looks like a lot of Jap 4 x 4 s favour this setup.
Old 08 February 2007, 20:15   #10

Quote:
OK great thanks all. The other obvious question is...

When pulling away in LLR (or HLR) on a slipway say, or on ice - is there any advantage to being in 2nd gear (4 gear auto box, diesel) instead of relying on the auto-box?

Thanks

Rich

Doesn't your vehicle have some sort of system that you can switch in when towing from start off that stops the auto box kicking in to 2nd. My mates Toyota does and it stops the vehicle struggling because the gears have changed too early.
Old 08 February 2007, 20:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Doesn't your vehicle have some sort of system that you can switch in when towing from start off that stops the auto box kicking in to 2nd. My mates Toyota does and it stops the vehicle struggling because the gears have changed too early.
Yes it does, but I'm wondering if there's an advantage to starting in 2nd i.e selecting 2nd on the auto box.
Old 08 February 2007, 20:34   #12

Don't know about your setup but starting off I doubt it will select a higher gear just because you have put it into 2nd. When you are going down a slope or even just slowing for a junction etc then changing down the box manually can be a big help.
Old 08 February 2007, 20:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Don't know about your setup but starting off I doubt it will select a higher gear just because you have put it into 2nd. When you are going down a slope or even just slowing for a junction etc then changing down the box manually can be a big help.
D'oh... of course the car will always start off in 1st no matter what you select. Thanks for reminding me!

Sounds like there's an advantage to locking it in 1st.
Old 08 February 2007, 21:15   #14

Quote:
D'oh... of course the car will always start off in 1st no matter what you select. Thanks for reminding me!

Sounds like there's an advantage to locking it in 1st.
Yes there is - it means that the box won't change up just when you don't want it to - just use it like a manual without a clutch.

I THINK some of the newer discoveries and Rangies will actually lock into whatever gear you select but not sure.
Old 08 February 2007, 21:35   #15

Town: mansfield
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Mine is an absolute b----- to steer at slow speeds in 4 wheel drive on tarmac. In fact you can't steer it.
Ok, here is the instructors explanation. I'll try and keep it simple. All four wheel drive vehicals will have three diffs. Front, center and rear. A font and rear diff allows a variation in speed between the wheels on the same axle, thus allowing the car to turn a corner. The center diff does the same thing but allows a variation in speed between the front and rear axles for cornering. The rear of the vehical will allways track differently from the front, the longer the vehical the worse the track(an artic going round a tight roundabout for instance). Ok, permant 4x4 ie Landrover works using this system. But take one wheel off the ground and all the drive will take the path of least resistance ie 1 wheel drive. Engage the diff lock and drive is then locked 50% front and the same rear. But you wont have a speed differential for cornering and this is why it is difficult to steer. The problem is that not only are you damaging your tyres but you run the risk of transmission wind up. In other words the diff will explode You may also find that yur 4x4 lever cannot be disengaged, if this is the cas just select reverse and unwind the diff.

We could then go onto talk about traction control and rear diff locks on certain vehicals.

As for training, well I might be able to sort a level 1 course out in the north notts area for a small contribution
Old 08 February 2007, 21:56   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper View Post
Ok, here is the instructors explanation. I'll try and keep it simple. All four wheel drive vehicals will have three diffs. Front, center and rear. A font and rear diff allows a variation in speed between the wheels on the same axle, thus allowing the car to turn a corner. The center diff does the same thing but allows a variation in speed between the front and rear axles for cornering. The rear of the vehical will allways track differently from the front, the longer the vehical the worse the track(an artic going round a tight roundabout for instance). Ok, permant 4x4 ie Landrover works using this system. But take one wheel off the ground and all the drive will take the path of least resistance ie 1 wheel drive. Engage the diff lock and drive is then locked 50% front and the same rear. But you wont have a speed differential for cornering and this is why it is difficult to steer. The problem is that not only are you damaging your tyres but you run the risk of transmission wind up. In other words the diff will explode You may also find that yur 4x4 lever cannot be disengaged, if this is the cas just select reverse and unwind the diff.

We could then go onto talk about traction control and rear diff locks on certain vehicals.

As for training, well I might be able to sort a level 1 course out in the north notts area for a small contribution
Good explanation thanks. PM sent.

Cheers

Rich
Old 08 February 2007, 22:38   #17

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I'm sure on Shoguns I have seen you can select 4wd high range WITHOUT locking the centre diff which is basically the same setup as in a Land Rover without the diff locked - this is what I would use in any mildly slippery conditions, and lock the centre diff if it gets icy.

So you should have four settings

2WD high range
4WD high range, centre diff open
4WD high range, centre diff locked
4WD low range, centre diff locked

Some also have a rear axle diff lock but really that is for off road use only unless trying to get out of a ditch or something following an unscheduled "off"!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2007, 02:17   #18

I think it depends on the age of the Shogun.
Old 09 February 2007, 06:16   #19

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper View Post
Ok, here is the instructors explanation. I'll try and keep it simple. All four wheel drive vehicals will have three diffs. Front, center and rear. .....:
Is that true? As a Land Rover Experience instructor...how much do they teach you about vehicles?
Old 09 February 2007, 07:24   #20

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I'm sure on Shoguns I have seen you can select 4wd high range WITHOUT locking the centre diff which is basically the same setup as in a Land Rover without the diff locked - this is what I would use in any mildly slippery conditions, and lock the centre diff if it gets icy.

So you should have four settings

2WD high range
4WD high range, centre diff open
4WD high range, centre diff locked
4WD low range, centre diff locked

Some also have a rear axle diff lock but really that is for off road use only unless trying to get out of a ditch or something following an unscheduled "off"!
Stephen

This is how both my Manual Shoguns have been.
basically you go up the lever the more stuck you get, then push the rear diff lock button as a last resort.

Some of the special edition Shoguns like the slightly cheaper 'Field' ones do not have the diff locks. When I brought my latest one the Mitsubishi saleman couldn't understand why I wanted a normal vehicle he had with the diff locks instead of the special edition which had a leather interior. Dick head!

For towing its reccommended to use 4WD High.
I also use 4WD High for general use on rough roads, grass and snow.

I have only got to the point of pushing the button a few times, once when both car axles and the boat trailer axle were burried deep in Hayling Island beach. Dragged itself, the boat and trailer out no problem.

Nasher