Old 09 February 2007, 07:26   #21

Town: London
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I'm sure on Shoguns I have seen you can select 4wd high range WITHOUT locking the centre diff which is basically the same setup as in a Land Rover without the diff locked - this is what I would use in any mildly slippery conditions, and lock the centre diff if it gets icy.

So you should have four settings

2WD high range
4WD high range, centre diff open
4WD high range, centre diff locked
4WD low range, centre diff locked

Some also have a rear axle diff lock but really that is for off road use only unless trying to get out of a ditch or something following an unscheduled "off"!
My 1998 model has the 4 settings you mention. I do use normal 4WD (centre diff open) in normal slippery conditions. In fact, I have only ever used this setting on all slipways no problem. Sandy beaches - I switch to diff lock.

The later models have the 'thinking mode option' setting the wheels automatically between 2 & 4 wheels using a viscous-coupling.

My car also has the rear diff lock (may be optional on some shoguns, not sure). I have had cause to use this when stuck pulling the boat out on a very deep sandy beach - but I don't want to think about that memory... It also has leather interior (Nasher )

With the 'hold' setting there's effectively 6 settings so there's really no excuse for getting stuck
Old 09 February 2007, 08:56   #22

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Is that true? As a Land Rover Experience instructor...how much do they teach you about vehicles?
It isn't true if you are talking about all 4x4s not just LR.

All (I think! in case somebody can think of one with hydraulic wheel motors or something...) will have a front and rear axle diff but not all have a centre diff.

Old Series Land Rovers for example, and many others with "selectable" 4WD i.e. with a 2WD mode (1990s Mitsub L200 for example) don't have a centre diff, when you engage 4WD the drive is "solid" basically the same as if the centre diff is locked on a vehicle which has a centre diff. Suzuki Jimnys are the same, as are the old Suzuki Samurais, and some current Ford models (Everest and Ranger). Some vehicles have auto-disengaging front hubs but this is just to stop all the front drivetrain (diff, propshaft etc) spinning when you are in 2WD - in theory to reduce frictional losses and save some fuel, though whether it does is probably debatable.

Freelanders have a viscous coupling to the back axle which stiffens up if the front wheels start to slip and drives to the rear.

Freelander 2s have a complicated system in their rear diff called a Haldex diff which I don't fully understand but I think in the way it works its a complicated equivalent to the visc coupling on the old Freelander.

As Nasher said, on the Shoguns its recommended to use 4WD for towing, otherwise you are putting all the grunt through the rear diff and 4WD spreads the load. No idea what the "new" Shoguns have got though (the ugly 3.2L ones) as I have never really looked at those, but I think they are permanent 4WD.

Jap spec Pajeros don't have a rear diff lock.

Personally I like the Land Rover system, simple and it always works, which is more than you can say for traction control electronics, on the Freelander 2 launch here the journos had one vehicle crossaxled in a ditch and one of the LR guys said "it should drive out of there with Terrain Response" - "well it isn't..." out with the rope it does work well but is not as dependable as proper axle difflocks which is why that is what my Defender will be getting when I stop pouring money into the hypalon industry

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2007, 09:41   #23

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Stephen

Hi.

I have an (Ugly) 3.2l TD. But the system is exactly the same as my old 2.8l TD was.
I can only refer to manual gearboxes though not autos.

2WD high range
4WD high range, centre diff open
4WD high range, centre diff locked
4WD low range, centre diff locked
Rear Diff lock botton on dash.

Nasher
Old 09 February 2007, 09:47   #24

Town: London
Quote:
No idea what the "new" Shoguns have got though (the ugly 3.2L ones) as I have never really looked at those, but I think they are permanent 4WD.
I pretty sure the newer Shoguns still have the option of 2 or 4 wheel drive (like the old style) but also have the intelligent 4/2 wheel drive option using the Viscous-Coupling principle. Nasher?
Old 09 February 2007, 10:09   #25

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
I pretty sure the newer Shoguns still have the option of 2 or 4 wheel drive (like the old style) but also have the intelligent 4/2 wheel drive option using the Viscous-Coupling principle. Nasher?
My December 2002 3.2TD with manual gearbox does not have the intelligent system, it could just be on the Autos or very late ones.

Although I've moaned about it lately, I do like it a lot.

But still want a post Sept 2004 4.2l TD Amazon.

Nasher.
Old 09 February 2007, 12:43   #26

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
It isn't true if you are talking about all 4x4s not just LR.....
Stephen... I was being facetious..... Having owned, broken and repaired many 4 wheel drive vehicles, I was having a "pop" at an "instructor" talking nonsense....
Old 09 February 2007, 12:51   #27
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Reading this makes me glad my old 2.8 Isuzu Mu is the simplest 4x4 I've come across bar a series 1 or 2 Landy.

2/4H/4L switchable. Manual locking front hubs. No centre diff.31x10.5x15 All terrain tyres.
All I could really want on top of that is a difflock for the rear axle but it digs itself out of everything I can throw at it anyway.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2007, 20:21   #28

Town: mansfield
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Is that true? As a Land Rover Experience instructor...how much do they teach you about vehicles?
Yes they do, but I know what your about to say I was refering to slightly more modern machinery. Any way im back to being a pert time instructor due to new job at the dealer in nottm thats trying to get hold of ya. PM sent.

The new freelander haldex is very good, certainly better than the old viscous diff.
Old 09 February 2007, 21:02   #29

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
a)... wrong "Jono"
b)... No they don't.... not all.
Old 09 February 2007, 21:05   #30

Town: mansfield
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper