Old 16 June 2010, 16:19   #1

Town: Qualicum Beach
Make: islandteak
Length: 5m +
Engine: petrol
Teak decking

I have designed a new light weight (1 lb. per sq. ft.) teak deck for RIB's made from reclaimed Burma Teak. The teak is adhered to a black pigmented flexible fiberglass backing so it is simple to glue down to your deck. We left out the traditional black caulking between the teak battens to allow splash water to run down these channels as well as to provide more secure footing. Comments invited....even criticism :-) Ken Chaytor / Island Teak
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	51934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	51935   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	51936  
Old 16 June 2010, 19:13   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Love it . Teak or 'flexiteak/ tekdek' here the uk is all done by pattern etc etc . Can you supply in std size sheets for customers to cut themselves ?

Does it stand up to RIB use ? - the bonding etc I suspect being the weak point in any laminate type product.
Old 17 June 2010, 00:48   #3

The adhesion to teak is not that difficult, if the proper steps are followed.
Standard sheets....no. The width of the teak battens is 1-7/8" and the width of the decks do vary. What we do, is build in from the sides and provide a custom 'king plank' .
This is from reclaimed, solid, 1/4" x 1-7/8" Burma Teak, cut with the vertical grain showing on the deck. "Floppy Tek" type products are not similar at all....they are a plastic copy of the real thing. We supply DIY teak decking to the traditional sail boaters. This RIB decking is sawn to the same exacting standards. What we require is a template of your RIB sole. This is not difficult and it takes about 1 hour with scissors, a block of wood, and some tape. Most RIB's have a raised non skid surface. If you take a 'rubbing' of this surface we can make a true Burma Teak deck to that pattern.

This is a forum that I am new to and there is usually a balance between information and blatant advertising. I will tread softly.

best regards...Ken
Old 17 August 2010, 00:38   #4

Town: Milton
Boat name: Sanford 6M
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: TBD - Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandteak View Post
The adhesion to teak is not that difficult, if the proper steps are followed.
Standard sheets....no. The width of the teak battens is 1-7/8" and the width of the decks do vary. What we do, is build in from the sides and provide a custom 'king plank' .
This is from reclaimed, solid, 1/4" x 1-7/8" Burma Teak, cut with the vertical grain showing on the deck. "Floppy Tek" type products are not similar at all....they are a plastic copy of the real thing. We supply DIY teak decking to the traditional sail boaters. This RIB decking is sawn to the same exacting standards. What we require is a template of your RIB sole. This is not difficult and it takes about 1 hour with scissors, a block of wood, and some tape. Most RIB's have a raised non skid surface. If you take a 'rubbing' of this surface we can make a true Burma Teak deck to that pattern.

This is a forum that I am new to and there is usually a balance between information and blatant advertising. I will tread softly.

best regards...Ken
Ken,

Can you send me PM of your contact detail, and a website if you have an email address? I'm a long way off, but interested.
Old 17 August 2010, 03:06   #5

Hello,

Our website is www.islandteak.ca I will also contact you directly.

regards...Ken