Old 24 August 2009, 01:02   #1

Town: Camarillo, Ca
Boat name: Plan B
Make: Achilles
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 30hp
So California Beach Launch

Does anybody know of any good beach launch sites in Southern California? I am looking for sites to access the off shore kelp beds between Northern LA County and Pt. Conception. I have seen plenty of people launch kayaks from the State Beaches but I'm not sure about boats.
Thanks,
Matt
Old 26 August 2009, 16:42   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
What part of SoCal? You're asking about a pretty large area.

If you have an area you want to launch from, Google "Boat Launch +[area]" and you should get some results. If you want a list of all launch points, try local boating groups, or search BoatUS.com or similar.

Placing this post in the North America Forum may help as well.

Luck;

jky
Old 08 September 2009, 05:39   #3

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: Napili
Make: Avon
Engine: Honda 50 o/b
Beach Launch Sites

I have a 4.0 M Avon also. Maybe we could get together sometime for a cruise along the coast? I am not aware of any beach launching facilities, but you might consider this location, since it seems to be near to you: http://www.sailorschoice.com/Channel...facilities.htm
Old 09 September 2009, 19:10   #4

Thanks for the invite. My Avon boat plan fell through so I ended up with "Plan B", 14' Achilles with a 30hp. I just took it out of Channel Islands harbor yesterday and all went well. I'm planning on cruising the coast to look for some good lobster spots. Season opens Oct. 3rd!
Matt
Old 10 September 2009, 06:12   #5

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: Napili
Make: Avon
Engine: Honda 50 o/b
Glad you got out on Plan B. My son and I have taken our RIB up to Channel Islands Harbor from MDR, so maybe we'll see you some day. I am involved in the Coast Guard Auxiliary, so let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out.
Old 10 September 2009, 07:10   #6

Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
You won't find any launch spots from the beaches for powerboats, I've done it quite a bit, but it takes a very time-consuming permit from the county.

You should be able to find a launch ramp within a reasonable distance to most of the spots that you want to go...
Old 10 September 2009, 15:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgarrett View Post
Thanks for the invite. My Avon boat plan fell through so I ended up with "Plan B", 14' Achilles with a 30hp. I just took it out of Channel Islands harbor yesterday and all went well.
I ran a 14' Achilles with a 40 Honda. Good boat, if a bit uncomfortable in heavy chop.

Quote:
I'm planning on cruising the coast to look for some good lobster spots. Season opens Oct. 3rd!
Matt
Hmmm. I thought the lobster season opened the Wednesday before the first Sunday in October. Which would put it on Sept 30. Am I wrong about that? (Not that it matters much; I usually skip the opener trip and book s spot on the Peace boat in mid-Oct.)

jky
Old 12 September 2009, 06:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post

Hmmm. I thought the lobster season opened the Wednesday before the first Sunday in October. Which would put it on Sept 30. Am I wrong about that? (Not that it matters much; I usually skip the opener trip and book s spot on the Peace boat in mid-Oct.)
Here's the reg from fish & game: Recreational lobster season runs from the Saturday preceding the first Wednesday in October through the first Wednesday after the 15th of March.

Where do they come up with this stuff?!?
-Matt
Old 13 September 2009, 05:42   #9

Okay; Guess I had the wrong days. Know what you mean about the dates, though.

A while back, I tried to find out why Abalone season was closed for the month of July. I assumed it had something to do with spawning season or something. I asked F&G wardens, the RAAC (Rec Abalone [something or other] Committee), the F&G scientists, and a bunch of other people. Bottom line is that nobody knows; it's just always been done that way.

jky