Old 08 November 2008, 23:30   #1

Town: Florida
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 150 Johnson O/B
RIBS on TV

RIBs are featured on Animal Planet's "Whale Wars" and on The History Channel's "Shadow Force". On "Whale Wars", the Sea Shepherd Society manages to swamp then capsize their RIB while launching it from the ship. It looked like a Zodiac but not sure; it didn't appear that too many people onboard had any concept of seamanship. The private military contractors on "Shadow Force" had a Vosper Thornycraft diesel powered RIB tricked out with FLIR and a LDAP audio amplifier.
Full many a sailor points with pride To cruises o’er the ocean wide; But they cannot compare with me, For I have sailed the Bering Sea. While though you’ve weathered fiercest gale And every ocean, you have sailed; You cannot a salty sailor be Until you've sailed the Bering Sea.
FedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2008, 09:04   #2

Town: Marblehead
Boat name: Calypso
Make: Protector 28
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x Verado 225
I watched the Whale Wars show, primarily because there are RIBs involved. I believe they turtled the Delta, while the grey RIB they have is a Zodiac. I agree about the lack of seamanship.

I'll set the DVR to record Shadow Force. Thanks!
Old 10 November 2008, 17:46   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Seeing inflatable boats in use by a Sea Shepherd crew always evokes mixed feelings from me. My initial reaction upon seeing any inflatable boat is to want to see an impressive display of how capable it is. But then upon realizing that the crew is comprised of a nasty collection of misogynist terrorists, I start thinking "Oh please, just this once...".
Old 10 November 2008, 19:00   #4

Town: Pacific NW
Make: zodiac pro 420
Engine: Tiller 25 yamaha
i guess now we know what happens when you drag a rib sideways from a cable while underway as well as why you shouldn't beat the propellers of your helicopter with a huge gaff.

i can't wait for next week!
Old 10 November 2008, 19:06   #5

Town: Vancouver
Boat name: White Chocolate
Make: AB
Engine: 50 HP, 3.3 HP Merc
MMSI: 338079539
Send a message via MSN to PacificNWrib
I have no cable.... can someone send my a vid?

US COAST GUARD AUX
Flotilla 130-07-08
PacificNWrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2008, 02:16   #6

Town: Florida
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: Twin 150 Johnson O/B
There is a quick montage of the show on Youtube, just search under "Whale Wars". While you don't get the whole watching a train wreck effect, you will see enough of the RIB capsizing incident to figure out what happened. I just watched it again tonight (DVR) and it just baffles me how everyone just stands there and lets it happen, from the bridge down to the boat deck. Guess they missed the chapter on sea painters and underway boat launching not to mention MOB recovery. They need a crusty USCG Chief Boatswain's Mate in the worst way.
Full many a sailor points with pride To cruises o’er the ocean wide; But they cannot compare with me, For I have sailed the Bering Sea. While though you’ve weathered fiercest gale And every ocean, you have sailed; You cannot a salty sailor be Until you've sailed the Bering Sea.
FedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2008, 15:51   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
But then upon realizing that the crew is comprised of a nasty collection of misogynist terrorists, I start thinking "Oh please, just this once...".

So, I'm not the only one, huh?

Haven't yet seen the show, but I'm curious if any of the footage can be used to prosecute piracy at sea. I've seen footage of Greenpeace boarding (illegally) whaling ships before.

jky
Old 09 December 2008, 01:51   #8

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Part that really pissed me off was when the delta went missing ,while attempting to intercept the whaler in bad weather at night .
The captain was asleep and the second in command decided to keep course for a rendevouz to get other crew members back from the Japanese.

Anything could have happened to the Delta crew,while the " crew hostages" were at least safe on the whaler.
Where the hell did they get this crew from !!!

Some third member of Sea Shepard stepped ,in took control (told the second in command to shut up) and instigated a search.

When the Delta finaly showed up safe, this guy got his arse chewed from the captain for not following the "chain of command".
Stopped watching the series right there.What a pile of misfits.
Congrats to the "chewed one" (think Norwegian) who was the only one with a brain and balls!
cheers Dal
Old 18 December 2008, 16:37   #9

I've seen the Whale Wars episode, absolutely nuts!

I've actually been seeing RIBs quite a bit on some of the network shows as well. I watched Numbers on CBS a few weeks ago and saw a RIB, not sure what kind, might have been a Ribcraft and then I saw a sweet black RIB on CSI Miami not too long ago as well.
Old 14 January 2009, 01:01   #10

Town: SoCal- Huntington Beach
Make: Nautica, Henderson30
Engine: 135 V6 Mercury O/B
The new James Bond movie has a Nice RIB chase in black Avons. and its like 5min long...
Old 15 January 2009, 11:51   #11

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast STi View Post
The new James Bond movie has a Nice RIB chase in black Avons. and its like 5min long...
I just received a mailer from Yamaha and there was an article in there about this scene. Yammie provided all of the engines for these boats as well as the various support boats.
As I recall, the Ribs were smoted by 007 and he was in some old workboat. So much for truth in film...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2009, 19:51   #12

"smoted"???

jky
Old 16 January 2009, 02:17   #13

Town: SoCal- Huntington Beach
Make: Nautica, Henderson30
Engine: 135 V6 Mercury O/B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I just received a mailer from Yamaha and there was an article in there about this scene. Yammie provided all of the engines for these boats as well as the various support boats.
As I recall, the Ribs were smoted by 007 and he was in some old workboat. So much for truth in film...

I see...cus Bond is teh man he was able to outrun the RIBs in a old work boat...
Old 17 January 2009, 23:01   #14

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
The simple past tense of smite is smote, the past participle is smitten.

Everything you needed to know about smiting is here; http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/smite
Old 24 January 2009, 03:35   #15

Town: Boston, MA
Make: RIBCRAFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabs View Post
I've seen the Whale Wars episode, absolutely nuts!

I've actually been seeing RIBs quite a bit on some of the network shows as well. I watched Numbers on CBS a few weeks ago and saw a RIB, not sure what kind, might have been a Ribcraft and then I saw a sweet black RIB on CSI Miami not too long ago as well.
As I understand it, both the Numbers and CSI Miami RIBS were of RIBCRAFT Mitigators. I think they have some press releases about it on their US website.

We did some post-production film work with one of our Ribcraft 7.8s for Whale Wars in Massachusetts Bay. They strapped a prop harpoon to our bow and filmed it as if skimming across the water. Have seen the footage in a couple of the promos.
Old 25 January 2009, 04:03   #16

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Triple X film

Another"comedy film" Triple X State of the Union.
Very forgettable film apart from the chase scene and finaly destroying the RIBs
http://movies.about.com/od/xxx2/a/xxx2121304.htm

click watch trailer.You have to wait through 2 mins of junk before you get to the ribs though

cheers Dal
Old 26 January 2009, 17:01   #17

[QUOTE=prairie tuber;278813] The simple past tense of smite is smote, the past participle is smitten.

LOL. Okay, okay. Not a word we hear too often in the US. (Well, maybe in church, but I haven't been seen in one of those in quite a while...)

jky