Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBnet North America
Click Here to Login

Old 13 May 2007, 15:06   #41

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
I sort of like Annisquam River Run '07. I'd second the Marblehead green for the shirt, if you can get them. I think you'd have to connect with FL Woods to see if you can get then plain. I'll take 1 large and a kid's small if possible. Unfortunately my wife has to work that Saturday, so it'll be just me and the kids.
Old 17 May 2007, 03:04   #42

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
do we have a time we want to be in the water by. Just trying to decide if I might want to travel there and stay at some place close. Im not a morning person and any time I can save before we go boating will be a plus. I also would like to put my order in for 2 xl shirts and 1 large. I am trying to tie up lose ends on my boat and should have it running by this weekend. I have a small leak and a couple of spots I want to repair before I put her in this year. Hopeing that we get a good # of boats for this trip. Has anyone heard anything about the ribcraft place. I will have to go see it before I leave for home that day.
Old 17 May 2007, 15:03   #43

I tossed out a 10:00 AM dock time... departure tbd, once we're done eyeing each other's boats probably!

Ribcraft is in. I'm meeting with Matthew sometime next week to decide exactly what they're going to do.

If you do want to find a place to stay let me know. I can help.

Dan
Old 18 May 2007, 19:23   #44

Town: Marblehead
Boat name: Calypso
Make: Protector 28
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x Verado 225
Tides

dc,

I'm showing 0612 high tide that morning. That probably means learning to fly has to get up mighty early. I've only used that ramp once, but I hear the window is only a couple to three hours on either side of high tide. Can you or Matthew give us an accurate launch window?
Old 19 May 2007, 01:31   #45

just wondering if anyone has any maps of where we are talking about. Wondering what the ride will be like. My wife was asking me. She was wondering how rough the ride might be. My 13 year old is coming and maybe even my 4 legged copilot out. Wasnt sure, about how many hours might the trip take. Im going to google the area and see what it looks like. Perhaps if everything goes well we could have a couple this year. Narraganset bay would be a great day out here in RI. You can drive from Newport right into providence or take a trip to block island.
Old 19 May 2007, 02:26   #46

Quote:
just wondering if anyone has any maps of where we are talking about. Wondering what the ride will be like
I was just plotting a possible route on Mapsource (if you don't have charting software, Maptech has free downloads online). Looks like about 40nm round trip. 24nm out past Gloucester and around Rockport. 4+ nm through the river at 5 knots. Then another 11nm home. We're probably never more than 0.5nm offshore, but out past Manchester and around Rockport you are facing the Atlantic directly. Would be roughest there.

Here's my thoughts on weather from limited experience driving into Boston as well as sailing in this area. If it's blowing less than 10 knots, likely to be just 1 to 1.5 footers, we should be able to cruise 25+ knots. Wife, kid and dog friendly. If it's blowing 10-15, probably limits our speed to 20 knots and would be bouncy but fun. Over 15 knots would make for an uncomfortable ride that I would not want to take my wife and young children through, until they were more seasoned. My kids are toddlers though. 13 year olds live for adventure.

With no stopping, maybe it's an hour out, an hour through the Annisquam and 30 minutes back. Perhaps sightseeing, pictures, stopping somewhere for chow doubles that to 5 hours. That might make sense with the tides too, as the window wouldn't reopen until mid-afternoon.

This is the buoy closest to our route. It's a bit rough out tonight. Hopefully much calmer in a couple weeks.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44029
Old 19 May 2007, 02:54   #47

Chart

Here is a very rough cut at a route. Now that I look back, I think we're supposed to go up the Annisquam and then around Cape Ann, instead of the way I drew it. But it gives you an idea.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Annisquam.pdf (28.3 KB, 154 views)
Old 19 May 2007, 22:03   #48

Nice job Piper, that's the route. We've been speaking of it in the reverse direction, though we could go either way. No real need to decide now, we can see what would be a nicer ride given the weather conditions.

Yes, it's a 3 hour window on either side of high tide for the ramp. How would people feel about Sunday the 10th rather than Saturday the 9th?
Old 19 May 2007, 22:53   #49

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
Game for either day or an earlier time too. I start work 0500 and we generally go out to dive early, so open for any time. My wife would shoot me if i told her we needed to leave at 0400
Old 20 May 2007, 00:36   #50

Either day would work for me also, one good thing about planning on the 9 is that we have the 10 to fall back on if the waether is not great. we will see how it works out maybe sme people would prefer sunday
Old 20 May 2007, 00:41   #51

10th is no good for me, have a regatta that day.

If someone overslept and missed the high tide window, we could have them use Winter Island (10 minutes away). It's a nice setup with docks to tie on to and is good at any tide. Costs only $5 per roundtrip.
Old 26 May 2007, 04:30   #52

Just wondering how everyone is looking for the ride? I just recieved some glue today and will patch a couple of spots, I want to put my keel guard on and I should be ready for water....
Old 26 May 2007, 13:38   #53

Looking good so far. I've logged about 15 hours, going back and forth to work in Boston. Mostly F2 type conditions, but one F4/5. The RIB and I are ready. But I need to take the Admiral and kids out (hopefully today) to gauge what kind of ride they can handle.
Old 26 May 2007, 14:57   #54

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
We took her out for the season's maiden voyage yesterday. All systems go. We are ready to go. As I understand it, we're still on for th 9th with the 10th as a rain day. Right? Also, if the tide is a problem, we could meet a little earlier.

Bill
Old 26 May 2007, 19:56   #55

Same here, had the boat out diving several times but tomorrow is the first time with the "captain". Breaking her in slowly . Anytime is good for us to meet.
Old 29 May 2007, 01:17   #56

Yes, still on for the 9th, 10:00 AM at Tucker's Wharf in Marblehead harbor. My boat was supposed to return from FL this weekend, but the driver stiffed me!

Hoping I can get it up here in time, if not, I'll be riding with someone else.

I'm not a happy camper.
Old 30 May 2007, 03:16   #57

We went out sunday what a great time. The "captain" and a friend's wife (we will call her "captain #2") got pissed if we broke 15mph. Hit a wake first thing spilled the coffee all over them. Had a little chop, they explain their displeasure with that. Landed on Boon Island,almost popped a tube on some broken timbers, scratch the hull on some submerged rebar and to make the day complete grabbed an empty tank to dive with. Bilge pump worked at its convenience and as we got back to the ramp the motor control locked.
"Was watching overhead for seagulls the way the day went."
Fixed bilge, motor control, friend fixes fiberglass and gel coat. Glad things happened now instead of the 9th. Looking forward to the trip.
Old 01 June 2007, 21:27   #58

getting ready for the ride next weekend, I decided this week to try to replace an old patch that was slowly leaking, as I started to take off the old one I noticed it was pulling off the hypalon exposing the threads underneath. I stopped where I was thinking that I might do more harm, I have gotten a couple of responses when I asked if I could still glkue over the threads and think I should be ok, Now I am worried about the weather comeing up, It is so humid today and they are forcastingn humid temps and thunderstorms for the weekend and into early next week, Hopeing I can get the patch done in the good weather and have enough time to cure correctly. I havent made up my mind if I am going to come up on fri and stay over yet, It would be nice to wake up and have a short ride to put the boat in. I also will try to get my keel guard put on before this ride along with a few small odds and ends. I have had a friend make a patten for me for some cushins that I dont think will be ready by then but they dont help the boat run any better..............looking forward to meeting some fellow ribbers soon
Old 04 June 2007, 19:50   #59

Well, as our friends across the pond would say, I have a bit of a cock up. I have to go to California this week, and won't return until midnight Saturday! I'm flying out tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM. Also, there's the small issue that my boat won't return from FL until sometime next week, after my return, so it looks like we're down to 4 boats from the 5 RIBnetters. Who knows how many more will show up from Ribcraft's efforts.

Speaking of RIBCRAFT, they will provide Coffee, Water, Donuts and Bagels Saturday morning when everyone gathers down at the town dock. Thanks Matthew & RIBCRAFT!

As the other Marbleheader in attendance, I hereby appoint MtStPiper as the defacto leader of this soirée. I hope you guys have a great time, great weather and are inclined to do something like this again soon. I'm very bummed that I'm not going to be there, after I picked the date!!

Somebody please bring a camera, and take pictures to post here!
Old 04 June 2007, 20:06   #60

And to refresh everyone on the details, from the post that started it all:

Since I'm the sucker stupid enough to try to get this started, I'm going to suggest gathering in my town, Marblehead, MA on June 9th. There's a good public ramp with parking for trailers and car at Riverhead Beach, the head of the harbor. It's a very nice, double width concrete ramp, but only good within about 3 hours or so of high tide. No good at low tide, but if you're in by 9 AM or so it should be fine. High tide is 6:11 AM and 6:46 PM. There's another ramp at the other end of town (near Ribcraft USA HQ) that's tough to find if you don't know your way around, there's not much parking, but it can be used at all tides.

There's a good public dock downtown, with 2 good pub options upon returning, Maddie's or The Landing. I'd suggest we stage there, at Tucker's wharf, near the fuel dock.

Please revisit that first post to get Google driving directions to the ramp. We're meeting at the Tucker's Wharf docks at the Harbormaster's office (just SW of Marblehead Trading's docks). Plan on getting there early and launching before 9:00 (8:15 would be better) or you'll run out of water and have to find your way to another ramp, which is a navigational challenge by land! Official dock time is 10:00 AM, but if you're there early, you can visit the charming waterfront dining at the little red & white building, the Driftwood. You'll feel like you stepped into a time machine to the 1920's. Classic little local greasy spoon breakfast with an authentic nautical flair. Just turn off your cell phone!

Have fun!