Old 15 May 2006, 01:58   #1

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Ribcraft USA blog

I came across this today http://www.ribcraftusa.com/blog/ Somewhat interesting, though nothing earth shattering and points people here

I'm not generally a fan of blogs, but I thought it was cool that a manufacturer is spreading the word more personally.
Old 22 May 2006, 07:24   #2

Town: Chula Vista, CA
Boat name: T.A.P.O.A.F.O.M.
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
I might try the suggested 303 protectant on the tubes for UV protection. Who is Fred? Word on the grape vine is there may be a service center opening in SoCal. I hope so as I need the rubstrake glued back on.
Old 09 June 2006, 15:42   #3

Town: Massachusetts
Boat name: Tibs
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP O/B 4 stroke
Hey Manny,

RIBCRAFT is great about service, and should have a repair facility in your area. Give them a ring. They'll help you out!
Old 30 October 2006, 04:25   #4

Town: Fairbanks
Boat name: Medved
Make: Solar
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
MMSI: 007

Manny: I have been using 303 on a Zodiac and an Achilles for many years, and now on a Ribcraft. It is good stuff. Just don't expect to apply it and then crawl into your boat from the water; the stuff leaves the tubes as slick as *&^% on a glass door knob. j
Old 01 November 2006, 18:52   #5

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
Yikes

I just looked at pricing on a Ribcraft 5.85 and do I ever feel better about what I've got in my 9 year old 4.7 Searider. Of course a fair chunk was the 135 Honda 4 stroke they quoted but it still makes my Avon look like a economodel.

The only problem is I still would like to upgrade and from what I can tell the Ribcrafts are a damn fine boat.

Now this is a new subject..sort of... but I have very little experience with 4 strokes. I hear quiet, I hear fuel economy, I hear environmentally sound but what concerns me is getting away from that old 2 stroke rev. I made the temporary mistake of buying a new Sthil weed wacker, a large unit as is required to beat back the jungle here. It was what they call the pre-mix and is basically a 4 stroke. Hello...where's the revs...where's the power. I went back with it the next day for big Stinky 2 stroke F250 and it runs lika a banshee.

Do these 4 strokes get up and GO?
Old 02 November 2006, 05:17   #6

4-stroke, etc

I have a 6.5 m Ribcraft, aluminum hull, and don't see any problem w/ my 150 Honda. I recently had about 1200 lbs in it (motor excluded) and had no problem getting up and going. I think I topped out at about 33 mph, whereas alone I can get about 44 (via gps). This is my first 4-stroke, and it sure is nice to be able to talk to the co-pilot without shouting, and the fuel economy is nice, too. What a 150 hp 2-stroke would hole-shot like I don't know, but I get up and go just fine. j
Old 02 November 2006, 05:21   #7

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklingel View Post
I recently had about 1200 lbs in it (motor excluded) and had no problem getting up and going.
Was it a Grizz or a Kodiak or Bullwinkle perhaps?
Old 02 November 2006, 06:35   #8

I wish...

Unfortunately, we were unable to secure any animals, but a brownie was on the list. The load was just we 3 and a bunch of gear. The two guys w/ whom I went sure know how to pack the stuff along!
Old 02 November 2006, 13:33   #9

An average of 400 pounds of gear per person, with most of it being with the other 2 guys - wow, that's living large in the bush!
Old 02 November 2006, 17:07   #10

includes gas, etc

Yes, they can pack the stuff. That 400 lbs includes their 200 lb carcasses and 20 gal of gas each. Plus, we had a box of salt that weighed nearly 90 lbs. Still, we were not lacking for food.....
Old 04 November 2006, 17:23   #11

Town: Tiverton,Nova Scotia
Make: various
Length: 7m +
Engine: various
Now this is a new subject..sort of... but I have very little experience with 4 strokes. I hear quiet, I hear fuel economy, I hear environmentally sound but what concerns me is getting away from that old 2 stroke rev. I made the temporary mistake of buying a new Sthil weed wacker, a large unit as is required to beat back the jungle here. It was what they call the pre-mix and is basically a 4 stroke. Hello...where's the revs...where's the power. I went back with it the next day for big Stinky 2 stroke F250 and it runs lika a banshee.

Do these 4 strokes get up and GO? [/QUOTE]

I have used 4 strokes for 10+ years, usually twin set ups on RIBs, but also have a Yamaha 115 on my Avon 620. I find they have lots of low end power (which I need for getting up to 12 passengers going)

tom

Tom Goodwin
Ocean Explorations Zodiac Whale Cruises
Tiverton, Long Island, Nova Scotia
902.839.2417, winter/home:834-2830
toll free reservations 1.877.654.2341
http://www.oceanexplorations.ca
Old 05 November 2006, 01:45   #12

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
Yes, 4 strokes are great for commercial applications and they get up and go. I am running a hurricane 640 with twin 140 suzuki 4 strokes. I also run with 12 passengers and captain and I cruise at 32 knots @4000 rpms the motors max out at 6200rpms. Top speed with 12 passengers and 100 gallons of fuel is 46 knots.

The biggest savings is in fuel and especially oil. I was running merc optis and going thru the 45 gallon drums of oil like nothing.

You will also find that the 4 strokes have a much longer life.

In my area there are at least 30 RIBS all being used by various companies for whale watching and 90% of them are now using 4 strokes.

The other big thing is they burn much cleaner and leave no un burned oil in the ocean and they are much quiter.

This year to date I have done 900 hours on the suzukis with no problems.

Simon
Ocean Ecoventures
www.OceanEcoventures.com
Vancouver Island Canada
Old 05 November 2006, 03:57   #13

Thanks for this info Simon. I'll be looking for a new midrange outboard within the next year and have been weighing the pros & cons of 4 strokes vs. DI 2 strokes. Interesting that a Honda BF50 is considerably lighter than an E-tec 50.