Old 27 March 2018, 21:41   #21

Town: Galway
Make: Arctic 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha's
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I was somewhat in awe the first time I encountered Dave's in Dublin. When asked why he went to such lengths, he replied that he simply wanted to make sure that everyone saw him coming.

Mine is a much more modest affair:
Willk, that is a very tidy set up!
Old 27 March 2018, 23:11   #22

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Interesting one. As P. says, the reflector is a requirement - but then, does the hard boat have a bigger radar signature than the likely reflector? I bet the Queen Mary doesn't have a radar reflector

I have radar and a very discreet but effective reflector. If I was diving in the places Pikey used to dive, I'd have an active radar enhancer as well - although to some extent, I think that technology has been overtaken by AIS transponders, which I do have.
Id read that most radar reflectors are pretty infective unless active reflectors are used. I was told that the radar would make us a very strong target for a ship, i cant remember who i was discussing it with but at the time i remember thinking this guy should know his stuff.
We never anchor anywhere we are likely to be run down by a ship unless its doing a costa concordia .
The hard boat also has an aluminium hardtop which should give a strong signal, that and the general opinion that reflectors were prety useless made me decide not to bother

What type is your discreet and effective reflector? I suppose i should fit one to my delta which doesnt have radar
Old 27 March 2018, 23:30   #23

Town: Galway
Make: Arctic 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha's
Just to add to the mix, I have occasionally been called up on the VHF when at work (big boat) and asked by small boats if they could test their active reflectors. Some can be very good, but more worringly, some provide very little (or no) enhancement when activated. You get what you pay for, i guess.
Old 28 March 2018, 11:40   #24
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I was told that the radar would make us a very strong target for a ship, i cant remember who i was discussing it with but at the time i remember thinking this guy should know his stuff.
Does your radar show up active radar installations? I've not heard of such a thing, although clearly the Navy can/will scan for active radar installations
Quote:
What type is your discreet and effective reflector? I suppose i should fit one to my delta which doesnt have radar
Mine is a Trilens - they went bust and were rated just slightly below the Echomax dustbin lookalikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barwar View Post
....asked by small boats if they could test their active reflectors. Some can be very good, but more worringly, some provide very little (or no) enhancement when activated.....
Maybe simply broken? Hard to tell if one is active by look only. Good plan to test them!
Old 28 March 2018, 11:46   #25

Town: Chester
Boat name: Black Hawk
Make: Osprey Vipermax 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Etec 200 HO
MMSI: 235114488
Here is my radar arch which was fitted by Marine Fabrications - fantastic job! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6472.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	123998Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6474.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	123999
Old 28 March 2018, 12:09   #26

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barwar View Post
Just to add to the mix, I have occasionally been called up on the VHF when at work (big boat) and asked by small boats if they could test their active reflectors. Some can be very good, but more worringly, some provide very little (or no) enhancement when activated. You get what you pay for, i guess.
But that's not really how they work; if you've already got them as a solid target on your radar screen they'll simply stay there as a solid target. More return from a slim pillar construction won't increase the size on your radar screen.

If the target is marginal, only there on a few or occasional sweeps then you could expect it to become a solid image when the enhancer was turned on.

On the only occasion we needed to be found, the Sea-me proved to be seen at a fair distance and was certainly making us a radar target far beyond what would be expected from the boat alone.

As for why to have both a radar and a radar reflector, there's plainly a misunderstanding about their functions. Best swat that up!
Old 28 March 2018, 17:23   #27

Trilens - they went bust and were rated just slightly below the Echomax dustbin lookalikes.
[/QUOTE]

Hmm a good product that went bust i guess ill not be buying one of those! And realy dont fancy a dusty bin on the a frame

There realy doesnt seem to be any one product that stands out in terms of being reliable (unless you go for said dusty bin) seems that see me enhancers are not 100 percent reliable either reading some of the posts
Old 28 March 2018, 17:59   #28
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Hmm a good product that went bust i guess ill not be buying one of those!
No, you won't. Bomdardier almost went to the wall with the C-series, no (pardon the pun) reflection on the plane itself! The Tri-lens was expensive but extremely compact for the cross section it reflected. It also worked well when canted over on a yacht mast, unlike some others. I bought mine because it could be fitted snug under my radar arch.
Old 28 March 2018, 19:12   #29

Quote:
No, you won't. Bomdardier almost went to the wall with the C-series, no (pardon the pun) reflection on the plane itself! The Tri-lens was expensive but extremely compact for the cross section it reflected. It also worked well when canted over on a yacht mast, unlike some others. I bought mine because it could be fitted snug under my radar arch.
I didnt mean to offend i wasnt suggesting the product wasnt good only that you find a product that works but cant buy it anymore when clearly the market needs something
Old 28 March 2018, 19:37   #30
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
I didnt mean to offend i wasnt suggesting the product wasnt good only that you find a product that works but cant buy it anymore when clearly the market needs something
And I didn't intend to appear offended - 'cos I wasn't!

I suspect that the Tri-lens looked too goofy and cost too much for a thing that just sat there and apparently did nothing. Quite possibly the overall units sold just couldn't maintain a modern company...
Old 28 March 2018, 21:14   #31
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
radar arches

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk;
I bet the Queen Mary doesn't have a radar reflector .

There is a weight limit of the solas requirement for a reflector.
Old 30 March 2018, 03:17   #32

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
I tell girls my Trilens has magic powers.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twins 2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	124030  
Old 05 April 2018, 18:03   #33

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingy View Post
thanks guys for posting pics @andre has the closest style that Im looking to do

has anyone ran a canvas from a T-top back to the radar arch?
Pleased you like our A frame

as for running a canvas from the T-top back to the A frame then we have done that and it was only good when the rib was stationary. At speed the canvas was just ripped away

I have attached a photo showing two Parker 900 Baltic RIBS one with the canvas and the other one without.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7904.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	124126