Town: Vancouver
Boat name: White Chocolate
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 HP, 3.3 HP Merc
MMSI: 338079539
Send a message via MSN to PacificNWrib
Possible Project for this year....

I would like to get the opinions of our fellow Ribsters on this vessel? It is worth it to give a bid?

http://www.yachtsalvage.com/Listings/YS060223.htm

Make: Zodiac

Model: Pro Open

Year: 2006
Length: 15'

Beam: 8'2"

Displacement: 882 lbs.
Engine: Mercury ELPTO, 90HP, 2 stroke

Location of Unit: Mendon, MA
Stock #: YS060223
Note: Insurance Salvage

Email: brian@certifiedsales.com
Call: (508) 478-0200

Viewing Instructions

Additional photos as 12/28/06

General Description
It has been reported to us that this boat was the personal property of the former President George Bush Sr.

At ease in every situation, the Pro Open range inaugurates a new style in inflatables. Graced with all the equipment needed for pleasure boating, the Pro Open 550 and 650 can also reveal to be the perfect companion for diving trips, water-skiing, fishing, family outings or just relaxing.

Their removable oversize buoyancies inspire confidence and are easy to service. Lighter and with greater performance capability than other semi-rigids of comparible size, the Pro Open have a powerful deep V hull, the synonym for comfort and efficiency. It's sea stability is perfect in all circumstances. The Pro Open, by its innovative design, marks an important step in the Zodiac saga.

Actual Condition
This boat broke loose from the dock damaging the starboard side pontoon. There is damage to the bottom of the hull and lower end of outboard engine. It is reported the marina serviced the engine.

The trailer is not included in the sale of this vessel.

XDCR204HG506
"Tranquility"
RS / LAM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YS060223_01.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	24639  
Old 01 February 2007, 16:00   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Depends on the going price, I'd think.

I don't see the repairs as being all that difficult (except maybe the engine; didn't look at those pics, which wouldn't tell you all that much anyway), but getting it from Mass to Oregon would be kind of pricey.

jky
Old 01 February 2007, 16:29   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Considering the damage and location of the boat, I'd hase guessed that it was pre-owned by Teddy Kennedy rather than GB Sr. Then again, Teddy never was known for driving vehicles with positive bouyancy.

I certainly wouldn't buy it without first hand inspection. The tubes are PVC, so I'd suggest close inspection of not just the damage to them, but their overall condition.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:09   #4

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
The tubes are PVC, so I'd suggest close inspection of not just the damage to them, but their overall condition.
I'm no expert, but isn't the general feeling that PVC is very difficult to repair properly? I suppose you could always buy a new set of tubes, but that might end up pricey too...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2007, 12:45   #5

Holes in PVC tubes can be repaired with PVC patches and PVC glue so long as the tube material is in good conditioned. If the PVC has polymerized due to UV exposure (fabric becomes very stiff and brittle), the ability to apply patches is the least of the concerns.

Some PVC tubes are hand glued, but zodiac thermowelds all of their PVC tube sets. If there is leakage at a thermowelded seam, your pretty much hooped, even if the tubes have not polymerized.

With certain high performance SIBs (such as zapcats), hand glued PVC tubes may be used because it creates a more rigid structure than hypalon would (hypalon is more 'stretchy'). In the case of RIBs, the only reason why a manufacturer would select PVC over hypalon is to reduce construction costs (which is also why they would select robotized thermowelding of the seams rather than hand gluing).

There tends to be a pretty substantial difference in price between a brand new hypalon RIB compared to a PVC RIB. With used RIBS, that price gap will not be nearly as wide. If it were my dollar, and I was looking for a used RIB, I'd hold out for something with hypalon tubes, preferably 1670dtx or 1880 dtx (as found on some 'commercial grade" RIBs & SIBs - such as Hurricanes), rather than 1100 dtx.
Old 02 February 2007, 16:58   #6

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
That doesn't look too bad to me, even the engine. The glass work is mostly cosmetic, except for the hull flange, which doesn't look like that big a deal. Holes in the tubes look reparable too, though I have no experience with PVC.

I'd also suggest you call Brown's Yacht Yard in Gloucester, MA, 978-281-3100 or brownsyy.com. They are a huge Zodiac dealer, probably know the boat, and could give you a reasonable range of price to have them fix the boat or quote a tube replacement price, which would be good guidance. They're also really nice people. Talk to Joan or Peter to start, they were unbelievably helpful with re-powering my Searider.

Mendon is about 1.5 hours from me. If you're really serious, I could possibly go and have a look at it for you. I would guess that they're looking for a bid in the area of $10K. Motor alone is probably worth $5k-$7k.
Old 02 February 2007, 23:42   #7

I'm not sure if you've come across these, but here are some links to outfits that deal with a fair sized stock of used RIBS;

In the Vancouver, BC area;

http://www.inflatableboatsales.com/

In Ontario;

http://www.co2inflatables.com/

Northeastern US:

http://www.usedinflatables.com/
Old 05 February 2007, 21:44   #8

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
info on this boat

hello, just wanted to give a heads up on this boat. I called today and talked to the seller. He said the bid is already up to $11,000. He informed me that the boat has sunk and was salvaged. I dont think that was stated in the ad. He is taking bids till wed. when he wants it out. He stated to me that he was told that the motor was servised after salvage but he could not confirm this. All he could confirm was that he was able to turn the flywheel. I live about a half an hour from mendon and thought about taking a ride up to look but feel that at over $11,000 it would be a waste of time. With not even a guarentee that the motor runs.
Old 05 February 2007, 22:38   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to fly View Post
He informed me that the boat has sunk and was salvaged.
Ignore what I said in my earlier post. Run.

jky
Old 07 February 2007, 02:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to fly View Post
He informed me that the boat has sunk and was salvaged.
People are bidding over $ 11,000 US on a PVC tubed, fiberglass hulled RIB that has damage to both the tubes and hull, and has actually been sunk???
Old 07 February 2007, 10:42   #11

That Mk III Hurricane on the CO2inflatables site is my old boat! If anyone is looking for a small RIB, it's an awesome little boat!

It has been re-powered since I had it by the local boat guy... It will fly with a 75 on it... I had a old beater 60.

If anyone wants the inside poop, feel free to ask...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 07 February 2007, 12:40   #12

That looks like an excellent deal.
Old 07 February 2007, 20:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
That looks like an excellent deal.
Their should be some room to haggle though... I sold it about 7 years ago for $9000...

If anyone is looking at it, make sure you drop it into the water first. Before I bought it, the transom was cut down a bit to accomodate a "to-short" engine, so there was only abou 1 1/2" of clearance from water level to transom top. Fast stop=wet feet! With the additional weight (I assume) of a 75, it could be an issue.... Mind you, the scuppers worked pretty well...

Also, there is a major patch on the starboard bow... the result of being rear-ended when I was in Kingston. It was about a 3' tear in the tubes, but it was professionally patched and the last I saw it, the patch was holding fine... from 7 years ago.

I miss my little boat... especially the mileage! Maybe I should trade down!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 21 February 2007, 12:28   #14

Town: Tiverton,Nova Scotia
Make: various
Length: 7m +
Engine: various
come to Nova Scotia for hypalon!

Come on up to Nova Scotia for a hypalon RIB in Cdn $ (and save 15% on exchange only).

see my posting on RIBs and outboards for sale

tom
www.oceanexplorations.ca