Old 06 January 2016, 10:47   #21

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
If nothing else, where a kill chord for the sake of your family. I have been a volunteer firefighter for over twenty years and have gone on too many search missions looking for boat operators who fell overboard without wearing a kill chord. I wear mine every time I go on the boat and have taught my son who is just learning to operate boats to always wear his. Yes they can be inconvenient , yes I have tangled it around the wheel a few times but in the long run it will save you. The last thing anybody wants is to get hit by there own boat!
When I was 12 , a buddy of mine and I were running down the side of the cove in front of my house and had a pretty serious accident. We were hit by a Boston whaler style boat and both of us were thrown from our inflatable. The kill chord did its job and stopped our boat right there. despite having two chambers and the fabric bottom slashed by the other boats prop, we were able to get to shore. Luckily neither of us were seriously injured but it is an event that I certainly will never forget.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 12:06   #22

Make: zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp
Unfortunately, the same people that think they don't need to hookup a kill switch are the same people that don't think they need to wear a life jacket and don't think there is anything under the water to hit and don't think they will ever strike another boat.

There are other dangers on the water besides your own stupidity.
Old 06 January 2016, 17:00   #23

Length: 7m +
The only time ive found a kill switch to be a pain was due to my own stupid fault, I had hit a wave hard and stuffed the bow due to messing about and a huge wall of water came over and into the boat, I was standing up to just beneath my knees in water, so I quickly rushed to the back of the boat to take out the drain plus and of course in that panic forgot I was wearing the lanyard and the engine cut out. went back and it started again and I slowly resumed course to allow the water to drain out from the deck, I then went into a sheltered area and waited for the bilge pump to clear the rest before proceeding further.

A good lesson learned, a remote electronic device would have been better in that circumstance as the engine would not have cut out but I like things simple and the normal kill cord with a lanyard isn't an issue normally, next time I will remember.
Old 06 January 2016, 17:52   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
A good lesson learned, a remote electronic device would have been better in that circumstance as the engine would not have cut out but I like things simple and the normal kill cord with a lanyard isn't an issue normally, next time I will remember.
But a remote scupper valve or elephants trunk might have been better - avoiding the need to leave the relative safety of the helm. As said earlier work out when you need to walk away from the helm and develop techniques or tools to avoid it.
Old 10 January 2016, 07:56   #25
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
Working on a secondary remote engine off system, just waiting for some of the parts to arrive. More about it in the British Electronics RibNet section. I don't mind wearing a tether and certainly understand it's importance. It's a bit of a pain when fishing/trolling and that's when there have been times I caught myself forgetting to put it on after putting the engine back in gear.
Old 10 January 2016, 08:29   #26
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfisher View Post
Working on a secondary remote engine off system, just waiting for some of the parts to arrive. More about it in the British Electronics RibNet section. I don't mind wearing a tether and certainly understand it's importance. It's a bit of a pain when fishing/trolling and that's when there have been times I caught myself forgetting to put it on after putting the engine back in gear.
Its not a British electronic system (some of the people you are ignoring over there are not even British)!

I'd suggest you might be better devising a safer system of trolling, because presumably it's quite possible to fall overboard even at trolling speed? I am sure there will be ways to bypass or suspend your new system - they are just as likely to be forgotten as the dangly string.
Old 10 January 2016, 09:08   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Its not a British electronic system (some of the people you are ignoring over there are not even British)!
Keep yer hair on Poly - I'm sure he meant English!
Old 10 January 2016, 13:29   #28

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'd suggest you might be better devising a safer system of trolling

Oh I dunno, I think he's nailed it😎
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2016, 19:26   #29
ynp
RIBnet supporter

Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
I use the kill cord and the PFD religiously. I was ejected from the helm of my 5.5 meter RIB while playing in the surf. I was stupid as usual. Fortunately the water was warm and the boat did not broach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21 March 2016, 19:43   #30

Town: Princeton
Make: Marinar/Achilles
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 40 hp
Kill Cord

In many states in the US the use of a kill cord is a legal requirement, e.g. NJ and Ct. A good regulation and a better idea.