Old 30 January 2015, 18:46   #1

Town: Mountain View, CA
Boat name: Six Park
Make: True Kit
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 6
Finally, I ordered a RIB

After countless back and forth and side tracks, I've finally ordered a Mercury Ocean Runner 430 RIB Hypalon. It's $3799 with free shipping plus $150 rebate.

430 Ocean Runner RIB 2014 Model White Hypalon Free Shipping - Solution One Maritime LLC

(Hull only, motor, rigging and chicks NOT included!)

I also ordered a trailer from Pacific Trailer in Newark. Sam over there is very helpful. The boat will be shipped from Wisconsin in a crate and would require a fork lift to unload. Sam agrees to unload the boat and set it up on the trailer with no additional cost.

Pacific Trailers - Newark, CA | Yelp

I will buy motor and other components and will start a build thread soon.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17461.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	102690  
Old 30 January 2015, 19:21   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Have fun! Keep us posted
Old 30 January 2015, 21:34   #3

Town: San Francisco Bay
Boat name: SRMN 600
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 90
Great news! Looks like a great foundation for a new Rib package. Any ideas on the motor or console?
Old 30 January 2015, 21:50   #4

Nice one...my stepdad was a dealer for quicksilver in the late 90s and we got to toy some of their tenders, the 320rigid and 380soft floor being two that stayed with us for a good while. The boats are an awesome product with good design features and well built, im sure with the 15hp 2stroke we had I was pushing the 320rigid into the early 20kt region as a light weight 12year old this was super fast and fun.. Good luck with your new boat I'm sure you will not be disappointed
Old 30 January 2015, 21:53   #5

For console I will go with this:

Standard Steering Console with Windshield and Handrail

As Jeff suggested in another post, I will try to make a shelf inside the console and put the battery there.

At the lower part of the console, I plan to put in a fire extinguisher and use the remaining space for fishing gear storage.

------
This steering console is made of sturdy, roto-molded white plastic
Includes a Windshield and Handrail
The surface area is design to fit common steer controls and gauges
Dimensions:
Height: 36"
Height to Top of Handrail: 46"
Depth: 16"
Width Top: 14"
Width Bottom: 17-3/4"

Old 30 January 2015, 21:59   #6

Here's my skillful drawing of what I want to do for the battery.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Defender 36in console 650939_Plan.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	102695  
Old 30 January 2015, 22:05   #7

For engine I will get the Suzuki 30 HP DF30ATL. I can get one from a local dealer for $4345 (they are 5 minute drive from me) + California tax.

I can buy on line from Cumberland and probably can avoid paying sales tax, but I'll be a good boy, plus if I make any stupid mistake while rigging hopefully I can ask someone local for help.

This report claims that the boat can do 27 knots with a 40hp motor, so according to my fuzzy math, I can do 23.38 knot with a 40h motor, or about 27mph/43kmh. Not lightening fast, but should be bearable for getting to my fishing spots that are less than 5 miles from the Santa Cruz harbor.
Old 30 January 2015, 22:08   #8

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Congrats on the new boat

Interesting that it is only rated for 40HP. My smaller SIB is rated for 50HP. A 30HP should do okay if you do not load the boat too much. Mine barely planes when FULLY loaded.

A couple of these will keep you and your fishing buddy safe. Only because it popped up when I went to look for the deal of the day. I have two that were purchased on Black Friday for around $100 each, but have a bunch more that are sold by Bass Pro Shops, but once expired wound up on Ebay. Replace the salt melting deal, and they are good to go as new for less than $50 each.
WEST MARINE Coastal Automatic Inflatable Life Vest—Royal Blue/Dark Gray | West Marine

This is todays only deal from West Marine. I get their emails...
GARMIN EchoMAP™ 70dv Fishfinder/GPS Combo, US Coastal BlueChart®, with Transducer (Transom mount HD-ID™ & DownVü) | West Marine

The nice thing is it comes with the blue charts which I consider a must have, along with the transducer. The bigger the screen the better. I have a 450s and wish it had a bigger screen.

Amazon is $64 more.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...6SC99R8GGXWQ0H

Of course there are many other brands available too like Lowrance/Hummingbird.

FWIW I have a Pacific. Although the trailer is good, the wiring from the manufacturer SUCKS! It was not sealed at all and caused all sorts of issues. I had to completely repair it after only a few launches in salt water. I would highly recommend making sure all the connections are sealed, and would also recommend making sure they use LED's all around.
Old 30 January 2015, 22:15   #9

Peter, thanks for the links. I will probably wait for the boat and console to arrive before buying additional stuff. That way I can have the exact measurement and buy the biggest fish finder that can fit .... but then

$700 for a fish finder seems kind of steep. There are some that are at the $200 range. Are they any good?
Old 30 January 2015, 22:23   #10

The 30hp motor (158lb) is as much as me and two buddies want to handle (even if just installing it for once). Plus, I am going to buy a cooler seat and I want to keep the stern weight.

Here's the cooler seat.

Here's another one with a removable cooler.

The removable one seems easier to clean, but the plastic-looking screw that holds the cooler to the base seems like a weak point that may get loose or break.

Both look kind of dorky, though. Does anyone have other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	31gxGhiCEML.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	102696   Click image for larger version

Name:	41d+Ks9+5xL.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	102697  
Old 30 January 2015, 22:55   #11
zip

Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cummins
As long as you don't take it out of the harbor, you should be fine.
Old 30 January 2015, 22:55   #12

$200 LOL you can get a transducer. Plan on a minimum of $600, IF you want to be able to go outside the gate and know where the rocks that have sunk many ships are. Blue Charts of some kind are needed in case the fog rolls in, so you can avoid the shipping channel and keep closer to shore without meeting it in a fog bank. Conditions can change VERY quickly.

The cooler seat looks okay. What about mounting a folding seat somewhere?
Old 30 January 2015, 23:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
$200 LOL you can get a transducer. Plan on a minimum of $600, IF you want to be able to go outside the gate and know where the rocks that have sunk many ships are. Blue Charts of some kind are needed in case the fog rolls in, so you can avoid the shipping channel and keep closer to shore without meeting it in a fog bank. Conditions can change VERY quickly.
I will be launching in Santa Cruz. There's no commercial shipping there and probably (?) no rocks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
The cooler seat looks okay. What about mounting a folding seat somewhere?
Do you mean mounting a folding seat in addition to the cooler seat? I don't know if I have any space left for mounting anything permanent. I will probably put one more cooler next to the console and strap it down to the deck.

One thing I don't like about the design is the bow storage is way too long. What can I put in the space in front of the bow storage hatch?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	d665500578124_c-Resized640x480.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	102698  
Old 30 January 2015, 23:43   #14

You are ONLY going to go out of Santa Cruz? Never South Monterey Bay nor San Fran? I boat all over the Northern California coast, as touring around is half the fun of owning a portable boat. In fact I prefer the Sonoma/Mendocino Coasts for their remoteness. I can not imagine not having GPS around Monterey Bay as the fog sets in pretty thick there too. Been there...done that! Came back by GPS as the fog had settled low during our 40 minute dive. We Could see far enough to avoid other boats...but where is the launch ramp again?

Since you are also planning on boating mostly in the Pacific Ocean, I would strongly recommend a fix mount VHF with a tall antenna for yours and others communication. The DSC will tie into your GPS too so you can send and receive DSC calls, that will show you someone in distresses location. Many folks mount the antennas on the side of the console.

The bow doesn't leave much room open. Get the boat, your console installed, motor and all steering installed, then figure it out. You might be able to mount your tackle box somewhere up front. Or at least your safety kit/tool box. Where does the fuel tank go? Getting it out on the water will be telling and it will take more than a few trips to figure it all out.

FWIW no matter what the shop tells you, get at least 14-15ft of decent sized chain, and 300ft of 3 strand line for the anchor. You can choose the type of anchor but it should be a Danforth style, or a Bruce as they tend to hold the best on our coastal bottoms. If they even mention folding anchors...*sigh*

Hopefully you will come out to the San Fran Bay at least once as I would like to see your new toy in person
Old 31 January 2015, 14:51   #15

Town: Stuart, FL
Make: Willard 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x 175 Suzuki's
Congrats!
Old 31 January 2015, 17:21   #16

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_fisher View Post
After countless back and forth and side tracks, I've finally ordered a Mercury Ocean Runner 430 RIB Hypalon. It's $3799 with free shipping plus $150 rebate.

430 Ocean Runner RIB 2014 Model White Hypalon Free Shipping - Solution One Maritime LLC

(Hull only, motor, rigging and chicks NOT included!)

I also ordered a trailer from Pacific Trailer in Newark. Sam over there is very helpful. The boat will be shipped from Wisconsin in a crate and would require a fork lift to unload. Sam agrees to unload the boat and set it up on the trailer with no additional cost.

Pacific Trailers - Newark, CA | Yelp

I will buy motor and other components and will start a build thread soon.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

Nice boat bud enjoy the build
Old 31 January 2015, 17:36   #17

Town: Oakland CA
Congrats, Fisher.

A friend had a Pacific trailer; served him well for a long time. Nice that they'll set it up for you, too.

There are rocks in SC. And Monterey, and anywhere else you'd go out of nearby. The west coast gets hit by waves driven by wind fetch from Japan; only hard stuff lasts very long.

Don't discount other places: As Pete said, Monterey, plus Moss Landing, Pillar Point (Half Moon Bay), SF Bay from many different ramps for fireworks or halibut; quite a few others.

jky
Old 18 August 2015, 02:08   #18

Did you get your boat together? I am looking at the same one
Old 18 August 2015, 02:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
Did you get your boat together? I am looking at the same one
Yes, see this thread.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/mercury-...ead-66578.html
Old 18 August 2015, 08:28   #20

Town: York
Boat name: Rubber Johnny
Make: Avon Supersport 3.45
Engine: Mariner 40 2 stroke
its a shame that a rib of that size is rated to such a low hp. i'm sure as time goes buy rib manufactures are loosing their balls!

avon SR4 rated to 50hp, even my tiny avon s3.45 rib is rated to 30hp (even though its got a 40 on it)! i know 4 strokes weigh more but a rib of that size should be rated to 60hp easy especially when it's gonna drag consoles, seating 4 or 5 people around and all the crap crew tend to bring too. with only 40hp it's gonna struggle a little.

still, it's a good looking boat and i hope it brings you alot of joy.

Tags
rib