Old 02 August 2013, 21:30   #41

Town: Portland, OR
Make: Zodiac F470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF25EL
leave and learn. Naturally I already got battery. Although for some reason my engine manual specifically spoke against AGM type battery. I got dual purpose (deep cycle/starting) group 24 battery.
Old 02 August 2013, 22:00   #42

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Odd, normally AGM and flooded batteries are interchangible.

I overtopped my current flooded but sealed starting battery when I stuffed the bow in a wave. Fortunately it was freshwater and survived. I wish I'd gotten a dual purpose, although I have yet to flatten the mere starting type anyway.

Group 24 is plenty big enough.
Old 02 August 2013, 22:56   #43

Town: Portland
Boat name: Tilikum
Make: Zodiac FC-470
Engine: Suzuki DT-40
Is this meant for a through bolt or a clamp on motor mount? Is there a security device for clamp mounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Mine is older and I suspect a different brand, but one of these goes on an ouboard bolt and in theory prevents unbolting the outboard.

WEST MARINE High Security Bolt Lock at West Marine

UK thieves seem to just chain saw the transom, but I haven't heard of such a thing over here. I suspect our theives are more oppotunists and less of an organized gang.
Old 02 August 2013, 23:04   #44

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Hummm, how about this.....

MotorLocUSA: Clamp Lock
Old 02 August 2013, 23:15   #45

That might work. Prob less secure in our setup, thieve can just unscrew backing plate and slide motor off transom. Buy looks of it we need to raise motors high enough clamps will be of no use.
Old 02 August 2013, 23:22   #46

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIBRider View Post
That might work. Prob less secure in our setup, thieve can just unscrew backing plate and slide motor off transom.
Not sure what you mean exactly, but the clamps should be tightened down very tight. So even if the metal compression plate were unscrewed the motor isn't moving.

Quote:
looks of it we need to raise motors high enough clamps will be of no use.
Then you need a shorter shaft.
Old 02 August 2013, 23:56   #47

Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
Here are a couple of videos of F470s with the multifuel Evinrude 55 hp engine, which probably weighs about as much as their current ETEC 40-50-60 line up give or take 10-30 lbs, which shouldn't make a difference.

If you get a rigid floor, you should be fine with these heavy ETECs. The second video seems to show an air floor.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=r...&v=XGbAtnrl6Nk
Old 03 August 2013, 02:50   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Not sure what you mean exactly, but the clamps should be tightened down very tight. So even if the metal compression plate were unscrewed the motor isn't moving.

Then you need a shorter shaft.
Well they don't really come in 18" shafts, normally. Vid from Projectile shows same issue cavitation plate is way below transom. Unless it's normal that's what I'm trying to figure out. IBS people thought it should be higher. If I raise engine 2" seem like clamps are going to barely hold on to edge of transom. 15" shaft is way too short on the other hand.
Old 04 August 2013, 20:27   #49

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
That might work. Prob less secure in our setup, thieve can just unscrew backing plate and slide motor off transom. Buy looks of it we need to raise motors high enough clamps will be of no use.
If they really want it, they'll chainsaw the transom.

Master has a clamp lock as well. West Marine has them.

jky
Old 12 August 2013, 06:26   #50

Well came back from week long vacation. Motor didn't get stolen. 25 four stroke Zuk certainly proved adequate. In most cases my family except my oldest didn't want me to go past half throttle. Seems pretty economical. From coast went up about 8-10 miles on Alsea river, run aground on low tide in the bay coming back, bobbed around some high mountain lakes and even boated inside a volcano. Last one was fairly taxing on motor. At 7000 ft above sea level it took it some time to get boat on the plane. All of this less than single 6 gal tank. About 3/4 maybe.

Got a leak in a keel, have to pump it up daily. Need to work on seating for passengers. Maybe get some Zodiac benches. Need to raise that motor couple inches for sure. Lots of splashing on transom.
Old 13 August 2013, 02:49   #51

Town: Vancouver, WA
Make: Zodiac FC470
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha
Sounds like a fun trip!!!

My keel does the exact same thing. I just make sure to pump it up before I take my boat out. I'm going to have my tubes latex sealed soon, which should solve the problem...

Quote:
Well came back from week long vacation. Motor didn't get stolen. 25 four stroke Zuk certainly proved adequate. In most cases my family except my oldest didn't want me to go past half throttle. Seems pretty economical. From coast went up about 8-10 miles on Alsea river, run aground on low tide in the bay coming back, bobbed around some high mountain lakes and even boated inside a volcano. Last one was fairly taxing on motor. At 7000 ft above sea level it took it some time to get boat on the plane. All of this less than single 6 gal tank. About 3/4 maybe.

Got a leak in a keel, have to pump it up daily. Need to work on seating for passengers. Maybe get some Zodiac benches. Need to raise that motor couple inches for sure. Lots of splashing on transom.
Old 13 August 2013, 02:55   #52

I'd be happy to take you out on my 470 with a 35 hp Evinrude. There is actually a 35 hp Johnson, with short shaft tiller, which I saw yesterday on Craigslist in North Portland.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F470 View Post
I'm leaning towards less (30 or 40 versus 60) If I can find it. There would be a few occasions where I would be heavily loaded but as long as its moving I'll be happy. I'm not a speed demon. Also seems like a rope start saves some weight. So you think the FC-470 could handle 270lbs without reinforcement? Seems like a lot.
Old 13 August 2013, 03:05   #53

Here is a 25 hp 4 stroke short shaft with tiller near Olympia, WA. Would be worth the drive to get it if 25 hp will do for you...

Suzuki 25 hp 4 stroke short shaft Outboard Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by F470 View Post
Is this meant for a through bolt or a clamp on motor mount? Is there a security device for clamp mounts?
Old 13 August 2013, 04:27   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
Sounds like a fun trip!!!

My keel does the exact same thing. I just make sure to pump it up before I take my boat out. I'm going to have my tubes latex sealed soon, which should solve the problem...
Mine had two patches. One was leaking. I replaced it other seemed old but ok. Either my first try at glueing hypalon didn't work or old one gave way. I'll work on raising motor soon I'll check
Old 13 August 2013, 04:56   #55

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Beautiful photos, SIBrider! Thanks for sharing.
Old 13 August 2013, 04:59   #56

F470, Here is a combo you could buy to get the motor and then sell the boat and trailer. Or even keep the trailer if it is better than what you have now...

Zodiac Boat W/30HP Johnson
Old 13 August 2013, 14:54   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Beautiful photos, SIBrider! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. Boat certainly gives another degree of freedom you can't enjoy with other means of transportation.
Here is a vid of us going up Alsea river

We enjoyed finding nice landing spots not easily accessible otherwise. That's somewhere up on a mt lakes.

Old 13 August 2013, 15:13   #58

Quote:
F470, Here is a combo you could buy to get the motor and then sell the boat and trailer. Or even keep the trailer if it is better than what you have now...

That's not a bad deal even bunks are pretty much on the right spot. I built mine with dual levels though. Outside for main tubes and 3 1/2" lover inside for Futura tubes.
Old 13 August 2013, 15:20   #59

Great suggestion! I contacted him to see if he would part with the motor.

Quote:

Old 13 August 2013, 20:52   #60

It sold. I found another Thompson locally but its only 20hp.