Old 28 February 2007, 17:18   #21

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
Stoo anything you can provide would be awesome. But i'm diving everyweekend any how so it's not like i'm waiting on it. I don't see any reason I can't wait untill spring.
Old 01 March 2007, 01:34   #22

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Re: ladder

Have any of you guys thought of adding a outboard bracket to substitute for a ladder? This is an expensive and time consuming way to go but it does give you a platform to climb onto between motor and boat, the downside is that you need to do a major change to the boat essentially rerigging much of your setup. The plus side is that WITH a bracket you add length to your hull and get a better ride. It won't work with all boats but any rib I own in the future will have a bracket, it is just better. I do see used takeoffs in Boat Trader from time to time, new ones can and do be pricey!
I know some people might think it crazy to do so much to avoid having to carry a ladder, so I must confess, I have always been crazy about boats!
Old 01 March 2007, 02:21   #23

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie144 View Post
I don't see any reason I can't wait untill spring.
The drafting department was working up preliminary drawings today. When I... I mean, when they... get them done I'll scan 'em and post 'em

Pat, I have wondered about adding an engine bracket, but I imagine that's not something you just whack on with a few #8 woodscrews and a little expoxy.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2007, 02:32   #24

hey thanks stoo
Old 01 March 2007, 16:15   #25

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
I know some people might think it crazy to do so much to avoid having to carry a ladder, so I must confess, I have always been crazy about boats!

jky
Old 07 March 2007, 08:02   #26

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Stoo,

I'm interested in your device, did you ever get round to putting a drawing or something similar together? I can imagine losing your mask being pretty easy!

sounds great fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Donnie, the board "lives" in the boat and so it's in storage at the moment. I'll see if I can do up a doodle and post it... It's pretty simple to make.

I find I can "fly" this just by shifting my weight on it. It's actually pretty exciting to fly along the edge of a drop off. It's very quiet and I often surprise large fish like lake trout and salmon because I come up on them so fast. And yes, I wear full SCUBA... including doubles. If you have an adjustable second stage it's helpful to dial down the flow, otherwise you will free flow. Oh... and torque down your mask strap too if you intend to look sideways!

You need to use a lot of line... usually about 3X the depth you want to reach. If it isn't long enough, there is a great tendency for the board to keep pulling up. I routinely tow at 100-130'. This board is my 3rd one, and I couldn't improve it... Well, maybe a com system to talk to The Captain... she kind of worries about dragging me into something, like a fish net, which isn't an entirely remote possibility...

I'll see what I can come up with to show you...
Old 07 March 2007, 11:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
Stoo,

I'm interested in your device, did you ever get round to putting a drawing or something similar together? I can imagine losing your mask being pretty easy!
It seems the drafting department was detained at a ski hill! Thanks for the gentle reminder... Will post later today!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 07 May 2007, 02:36   #28

Finally...

Several weeks ago, some of you expressed interest in the tow-plane I use. I finally remembered to take a couple of photos and I am posting them here!

The key thing with this rigging (and I figured this out after a couple of simpler versions...) is the moveable connection point for the towline, and simlarly, the adjustment for the seat cable length. (The ABS pipe is the seat...). By adjusting the point where the towline attaches, you can greatly reduce the effort needed to keep the board level. Otherwise, the board will have a tendency to pull up which gets really tiring...

Also, note the quick-release clip on the towline (with the orange lanyard). Sometimes, you just need to bail! (Approaching boulder, point of interest where you want to stop and have a look, or even simply ascending where you need to control your ascent rate.)

The size of the board itself doesn't really matter. This one is about 32 inches wide. The cut-outs are hand-holds, the D-rings are for attaching "stuff". I used to have a sheath knife bolted on, but took it off. Usually, I hook a spare computer through one of these.

Your boat driver needs to be very aware of diving. We plane at a max of about 4 mph. You will need a line that's at least two to three times your depth. I usually drag along in the 80 - 140 foot range! I suppose a spotter would be a good idea, much like water skiing, but since there's rarely any boats around us, it tends to just be us. If I release the line, it is very obvious on the boat as the drag drops suddenly. It's quite easy to cover long distances on one of these and it's great fun, but be careful. Depth can change very quickly and because your air will last a lot longer, you really need to keep an eye on your profile... And it can get especially cold due to the volume of water moving across you...

Incidently, for those of you in California, I have no idea what a Great White would think of this setup. "Trolling" comes to mind!

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towplane.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	26614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Towplane rigging.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	26615  

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 07 May 2007, 02:48   #29

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Stoo stews up an original idea

Stoo... your Rube Goldberg device looks like something that required some serious thought or contemplation, something I have rarely been known for, leastwise not while out on a boat... Put a name to that baby! How bout Stoo's Super Scuba Sled?
Old 07 May 2007, 03:15   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Stoo... your Rube Goldberg device looks like something that required some serious thought or contemplation...
Hardly.. The beauty is in the simplicity. Years ago, a friend of mine built one that included moveable diving planes that allowed him to do high-speed barrel-rolls! A later version had a com system to signal the boat... it was kind of a door-bell deal that he used to ring a bell on the boat... He designs, manufacturers and sells dive gear to commercial divers on the east coast now...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 07 May 2007, 15:41   #31

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Incidently, for those of you in California, I have no idea what a Great White would think of this setup. "Trolling" comes to mind!
Don't think it matters. We don't really get the vis you'd need to keep from killing yourself running into boulders. Sea star food might be a better analogy.

jky
Old 07 May 2007, 15:43   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Don't think it matters. We don't really get the vis you'd need to keep from killing yourself running into boulders. Sea star food might be a better analogy.
Years ago, I got slammed up against a wall while I was diving a pretty quick ebb in northern BC. I got pretty badly "perforated" by the urchins. I recall scrounging every patch I could find for my Viking... I think there was about 14 little holes!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 07 May 2007, 15:57   #33

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
....I got pretty badly "perforated" by the urchins....
That's a good image, Stoo.
Old 07 May 2007, 20:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
That's a good image, Stoo.
Glad you find humour in my misfortune... It was pretty funny. Fortunately, the spines didn't make it through my undies, or I might have started leaking more than air...!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 09 May 2007, 18:50   #35

Stoo i dig the "stoo super scuba sled" thanks. I'm going to have to make a couple of these up and see if my dive budy and i can keep from killing eachother down there and from running into big ass rocks. Pour vis, two sleds tied to a transom that's only 4' wide should make for some fun times.
Old 09 May 2007, 23:09   #36

Donnie, I can't attest to how dragging two sleds at one time works... Worst case is that you braid yourselves together I suppose. A buddy is supposed to be within touching distance anyway. I see the birth of a new California trend... Full Contact Sledding! Alternatively, you could simply build a "double-wide"... one tow point, a big slab of wood and "Bob's yer uncle"! I have no idea how you'ld steer it though...

To be serious for a moment, you do need to be careful with this stuff. In these parts, the biggest risk (apart from the usual diving stuff...) comes from fish nets. Around here, there is still some commercial fishing using monofilament nets. Many years ago, we "found" a lost one when we towed a friend right into it. He released the board (via the spiffy quick-disconnect!) which wasn't uncommon, but neither he nor the board surfaced anytime soon. After a period of time, I started to suit up to go see what he had found, when he popped up after spending "some time" cutting himself free. This guy was a very capable diver and I think in hindsight that a "lesser" one might have become one with the salmon! Make certain that you have at least two cutting tools. I generally always carry a knife, shears, and a "zip" knife...

Incidently, all of that hardware (track, sliders, quick-release) is standard sailing stuff, available from your local chandler!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 10 May 2007, 01:26   #37

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
Sled races between boats first one to cross a finish line or survives buy the bandages. The ocean here has sandy bottom and nice rock outcrop, one could feel like a top gun pilot buzzing around. I think the world of my close dive buddies but they all are mentally unbalanced and no way am i going to hold onto a sled and have one of them drive the rib,I would look like a hook marlin
Old 10 May 2007, 02:16   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603doug View Post
...no way am i going to hold onto a sled and have one of them drive the rib,I would look like a hook marlin
When I used to dive commercially, the rule of thumb was that you always wanted to use a tender to whom you owed money. That was, he was motivated to make sure you came back alive. I think that's probably a good habit to follow with your choice of driver as well.

It does take a while to get the speed right. In an earlier post I mentioned that we sled at about 4 mph. SO/BT corrected me... she said she often gets up to close to 8 or 9 mph (GPS). That probably explains why my arms are about an inch longer when I get out of the water. It's also the reason you need a seat on these babies....!

www.wetspotimages.com