North through the Detour Passage and into the Northern Channel
East towards Killarney into Georgian Bay
Following the Southern shore of Georgian Bay to Port Severn
Enter the Trent-Severn Waterway
Exiting the waterway East of Belleville and West of Kingston
Crossing Lake Ontario to Oswego
Enter the Erie Canal to Waterford
South on the Hudson River to New York, New York

We are thinking of leaving the 2nd week of August. Anybody want to join us for part of the way?

Great Lakes RIB Raid!!

Red line was our trip to the Gulf in 05'. Green line is the planned trip for August. Coincidentally the trip to the Gulf was about 1370 miles and the trip to New York will be about the same. Looks like less though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Map4x4small.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	25258  
Old 02 March 2007, 01:10   #2

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
We are thinking of leaving the 2nd week of August. Anybody want to join us for part of the way?
Absolutely! Killarney is just 50 miles from my place! Georgian Bay from Killarney to Tobermory can get pretty rough, but once you make Tobermory... Happy Hour at "Squaller Holler" starts at 8 AM with a fine selection of Breakfast Rums! (And we have a hot shower to boot!) From Toby south, there are limited fuel stops... Dyers Bay maybe, then Wiarton...

I did a bunch of the Severn Waterway a few years back when my kids were young. Great fun for them going through the locks, and camping there.

The Belleville/Kingston area is exposed, but nice. You might consider trying to do a section into the Thousand Islands area of the St. Lawrence... Kingston to Brockville. It's really interesting... and some great little bars in Alexandria Bay, N.Y.. although I doubt that interests you.

Do you dive Rogan? You'll be passing through some fabulous wreck-diving areas. I'd be happy to send you a whack of coordinates...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2007, 01:30   #3

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Absolutely! Killarney is just 50 miles from my place! Georgian Bay from Killarney to Tobermory can get pretty rough, but once you make Tobermory... Happy Hour at "Squaller Holler" starts at 8 AM with a fine selection of Breakfast Rums! (And we have a hot shower to boot!) From Toby south, there are limited fuel stops... Dyers Bay maybe, then Wiarton...

I did a bunch of the Severn Waterway a few years back when my kids were young. Great fun for them going through the locks, and camping there.

The Belleville/Kingston area is exposed, but nice. You might consider trying to do a section into the Thousand Islands area of the St. Lawrence... Kingston to Brockville. It's really interesting... and some great little bars in Alexandria Bay, N.Y.. although I doubt that interests you.

Do you dive Rogan? You'll be passing through some fabulous wreck-diving areas. I'd be happy to send you a whack of coordinates...
He's gonna miss Put-in-Bay....
You guys need to drive to Leamington, I'll pick everyone up and we can do a Island run if he/you have the time.
Old 02 March 2007, 01:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
He's gonna miss Put-in-Bay....
You guys need to drive to Leamington, I'll pick everyone up and we can do a Island run if he/you have the time.
Rogan, are you aware that in Canada you can only buy beer and liquour in Government Outlets. "Brewers Retail" publishes a road map with all of their stores marked, but I don't know if they put out a Navionics chart yet... Tob's store is on the Harbour.

Pat, I would love to do that. It's a bit of a haul to drag the boat down, but perhaps we could arrange a "Blue for Transport" deal!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 02 March 2007, 01:57   #5

Tripping the Lakes fantastic!!

Quote:
Rogan, are you aware that in Canada you can only buy beer and liquour in Government Outlets. "Brewers Retail" publishes a road map with all of their stores marked, but I don't know if they put out a Navionics chart yet... Tob's store is on the Harbour.

Pat, I would love to do that. It's a bit of a haul to drag the boat down, but perhaps we could arrange a "Blue for Transport" deal!
Stoo you are talking about currencies with which I have extensive experience, I am sure all parties can be satisfied.

I will bring War Machine to Leamington to pick you guys up, all you have to do is get there!
Old 02 March 2007, 02:10   #6

Quote:
... all you have to do is get there!
Course plotted... Piece 'o cake!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Road Trip!.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	25259  

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 02 March 2007, 02:31   #7

Town: Chicago
Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
Stoo, we will see you in Killarney!! Zodiac is possibly going to provide us with a boat. Either a Pro Open or their new 'HomeGaurd'. We'll see how it pans out. If not we'll be coming in the Hurricane.
Government Liquor Stores, what is this prohibition! Better fill us in on where to stock up.

Pat we can't deviate that far from our course. Limited time, money, and fuel. Now I know War Machine can make it to Georgian Bay in a couple days!
Old 02 March 2007, 02:35   #8

ROGAN"S RIB RIDE Chapter #2

Quote:
Course plotted... Piece 'o cake!
Ahh, but will Rogan, the WILD THING of Lake Michigan be diverted from his current navigational plan? You know how he is, get him a little agitated and there he goes, wide open throttle in the RED BASTARD, jumping fifteen foot rollers, the Coast guard chasing vainly but to no avail because, well... basically.... O.K. the truth comes out, they are a little afraid of him! Wouldn't you be???
He gets all hepped up on that Chicago coffee and Zam!! He's running his boat down the damn Mississippi again, eating Water Mocassins for lunch and drinking boat gas for kicks! And you know the BEARS lost! He can't be in a good temperment... On top of all that, I think someone stole his green thong! And you know how he felt about that!
Old 02 March 2007, 10:05   #9

Quote:
Government Liquor Stores, what is this prohibition! Better fill us in on where to stock up.
Well, starting from the North Channel... Gore Bay, Little Current, Killarney (limited), Tobermory (6 doors from my place!), then a long stretch to Wiarton, then Owen Sound, Port Severn. Kingston has several. Beyond that, you're on your own Amigo!

As the time gets closer, we'll need to firm up some dates. Once you're past the North Channel and Killarney, you're into some very exposed water. Club Island has a sheltered harbour (and a lot of poison ivy). The NE corner of Fitzwilliam Island had Rattlesnake Harbour, which has become a logging cam in the past couple of years. The west end of Fitzwilliam has some shelter and a couple of hunters cabins that are usually well provisioned, but the shoals around there are brutal.

From Tobermory to Wiarton, there is shelter at Wingfield Basin, an exposed wharf at Dyers Bay. Cape Croker is an Indian Reservation and has a small harbour, then Wiarton.

Incidently, all of these areas have Massassauga Rattlesnakes. They aren't generally lethal in a healthy adult, but you need to keep an ear out for them. (And you can't eat them.. they are a protected species!) On the upside, you won't be bothered by bears... well not until you get to Port Severn anyway!

Cutting across from Wiarton area to Port Severn will take you through a number of islands that are part of the National Park System (as are the ones around Tobermory). These have limited shelter and camping.

Once you're into the Trent-Severn, it is very sheltered, but it is well-populated with cottages. There are areas of crown land though for camping and some motels. You need a lock pass or pay at each lock.

If you think I can help with planning, just holler!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 02 March 2007, 13:04   #10

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Better fill us in on where to stock up.
I'm not sure about the where, but I can certainly recommend the what. Upper Canada Dark and Muskoka Dark - you can't go wrong with either.
Old 02 March 2007, 13:22   #11

Boat name: Fat Bastard
Make: Hurricane 440,Mark2C
Engine: Yamaha 50, Nissan 40
Stoo, thanks for the information. We will definitely be in contact this summer and as we plan the trip more thouroughly in the coming weeks.

Rattle snakes eh? mmmm.... At least they make noise. As for the bears my brother swears he wants a shotgun for the trip but I feel like we are more likely to blow our feet off!
Old 02 March 2007, 15:49   #12

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
Quote:
Proposed route.

Anybody want to join us for part of the way?
YES!!! But don't think i will have the time or money. Sounds like a hell of a run whish i could join. Post pics if you can.
Old 02 March 2007, 21:57   #13

Make: Hurricane
Engine: 50hp Yami
Georgian Bay

Hey Stoo, Rogan's brother here
Looks like we will be sticking to the northern shore of the Georgian bay around to port severn. What do you think is a good range for the rib we take? 100-200 miles? Im looking at some charts of the area and it looks pretty remote, just the type of boating we like

Are bears an issue in your area ? Do we need to keep our food tied on a rope in a tree? Im not takin a gun since its illegal to bring one into canada.

Also, how much do the locks on the Trent-severn waterway cost ?

Thanks
Old 02 March 2007, 22:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirnie View Post
Hey Stoo, Rogan's brother here
Looks like we will be sticking to the northern shore of the Georgian bay around to port severn. What do you think is a good range for the rib we take? 100-200 miles? Im looking at some charts of the area and it looks pretty remote, just the type of boating we like

Are bears an issue in your area ? Do we need to keep our food tied on a rope in a tree? Im not takin a gun since its illegal to bring one into canada.

Also, how much do the locks on the Trent-severn waterway cost ?

Thanks
I think you should be able to take a shotgun, you need to declare it though, check with customs..
Old 02 March 2007, 23:20   #15

You don't need to worry about the bears unless you placed serious money on the last superbowl .

Seriously, if you're hunting them, a gun or bow comes in very handy. Otherwise you'll have no need for one whatwoever. Just hang your food in an airtight container (10 gallon plastic barrels are great for this) and do your cooking at a distance from your tent. Never bring food or toothpaste in the tent. Bring a lightweight nylon or silnylon tarp for cooking under if it is raining.

Bugs will be a far greater challenge than bears will.
Old 02 March 2007, 23:23   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
You don't need to worry about the bears unless you placed serious money on the last superbowl .

Seriously, if you're hunting them, a gun or bow comes in very handy. Otherwise you'll have no need for one whatwoever. Just hang your food in an airtight container (10 gallon plastic barrels are great for this) and do your cooking at a distance from your tent. Never bring food or toothpaste in the tent. Bring a lightweight nylon or silnylon tarp for cooking under if it is raining.

Bugs will be a far greater challenge than bears will.
Have you told him about the most dreaded bugs of all... Black flies?
Old 02 March 2007, 23:26   #17

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
My friend, a few years ago, took a shotgun into Canada, with no problems. However, a shotgun as defence against bear is a really bad idea; all you are going to do is piss him off unless you are about 10 feet away and using a slug load.
Old 02 March 2007, 23:29   #18

Quote:
Have you told him about the most dreaded bugs of all... Black flies?
Shhhh! Some things are best left as a surprise.
Old 02 March 2007, 23:37   #19

bugs bug me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Shhhh! Some things are best left as a surprise.
What are you trying to pull Tuber? The man should know wearing the least amount of clothing possible is the only defense to prevent the damn things from crawling inside your garments, I suppose now you are going to tell him to take "bug spray" for those mutants...
Old 02 March 2007, 23:53   #20

Make: Hurricane
Engine: 50hp Yami
Well, I did lose a little money on the superbowl but thanks for reminding me

Yeah, I have to agree there is no real reason to bring a shotgun with deer slugs. We did have to deal with a few cottonmouth snakes (water moccasins) on our trip down the big old Mississippi. We had one wrapped around the lower unit of our engine one morning. Rogan was in for a surprise when he went to start the engine! I’m not excited about dealing with Canadian rattlers but I guess it will all be par for the course. As for the dreaded black flies we have some experience with those. Seems even 100% deet has little effect and their bites hurt like hell