Old 07 March 2012, 04:15   #1

Length: 7m +
boat charter info

Hi there,

I am getting my master of Inland 25GRT and was wondering where I could find info about the regulations for a boat charter business when carrying more then 6 passengers in inland waters.

I found the regulations for carrying less then 6 passenger but I have had a heck of a time trying to find the charter boat regulations for more then 6 passengers.

Attached is the 6 pack charter regulations I found

Does anyone have a link to charter boat regulations that pertain to carrying more then 6 passengers in inland waters?

Also is their such a thing as being able to carry more then 6 passengers & being a uninspected vessel?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UPV_JobAid2011.pdf (410.1 KB, 80 views)
Old 07 March 2012, 15:52   #2

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Engine: Yanmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by waternut View Post
Hi there,

I am getting my master of Inland 25GRT and was wondering where I could find info about the regulations for a boat charter business when carrying more then 6 passengers in inland waters.

I found the regulations for carrying less then 6 passenger but I have had a heck of a time trying to find the charter boat regulations for more then 6 passengers.

Attached is the 6 pack charter regulations I found

Does anyone have a link to charter boat regulations that pertain to carrying more then 6 passengers in inland waters?

Also is their such a thing as being able to carry more then 6 passengers & being a uninspected vessel?

Thanks
Hey, I would ask your masters class instructor, he'll have the best answer. I'd point you to CFR part 47. To my knowledge there is no way to carry more than 6 passengers on an OUPV or on an uninspected vessel. You can get your oupv amended to a "12 pack" but the vessel still needs to be inspected. And at that point you might as well go masters which you are doing already. Also, forget trying to have a rib inspected, unless you're spending alot of money and building it new. Ribs are required to have alot of stuff that is not going to happen unless you purpose build one to meet the regs. There's a thread on here that links to the code for rhib inspection. Just search for it in the US section, I'm sure youll find it.
Old 07 March 2012, 19:32   #3

hey 95gstnj,

- I am not enrolled in the course yet. Right now I am doing research so I know what I am getting into. I am going to enroll in the next few weeks.

- I searched for the thread about the inspection for RIBs but couldn't find it. If you could or someone could post the link that would be great. I dont understand why its so hard to find the regulations / guidebook for inspected vessels operating in inland waters. I did find the regulations for operating in international waters go figure

- I am all for safety but how much of a hassle is it having a inspected vessel vs. non inspected?

- I really want to use the the RIB I have for this charter business if I could be a uninspected vessel with 6 passengers I could get by. If I could carry 12 passengers & remain uninspected that would be much better as it gives me more opportunity for income.

The weight range is way more then I need but here is some info I found below from the guidebook attached in my first post. So it looks like its possible to carry 12 passengers in a uninspected vessel.

UPVs may also include vessels over 100 GTs but less than 300 GTs that carry not more than 12 passengers, with at least one being a passenger for hire. Such vessels are discussed in the Enclosure (3). Please contact the Coast Guard using one of the phone numbers provided on page three of this booklet for any questions regarding such vessels.
Old 08 March 2012, 00:03   #4

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
- I am all for safety but how much of a hassle is it having a inspected vessel vs. non inspected?
Its a huge difference. Its not just a matter of an inspector coming aboard with a clipboard and checking off safety items. You'll need a stability test and everything from the hull layup, the fuel system, to the bilge pump will need to be to code. And if inspected you basically have to be US built or get a Jones Act waiver.

Quote:
- I really want to use the the RIB I have for this charter business if I could be a uninspected vessel with 6 passengers I could get by. If I could carry 12 passengers & remain uninspected that would be much better as it gives me more opportunity for income.
>6 passengers for hire = inspected. I am not sure exactly where the passage you cited comes from but going from 25ton to >100ton license is a non-trival jump as well.

Oh and its not "weight", its tonnage. Which actually has very little to do with mass at all. Tonnage is based on interior volume minus engine spaces, aka a measure of cargo capacity.

I would bring these issues up to your instructor during your course. He can refer you to the applicable sections. Get used to reading the CFRs.
Old 08 March 2012, 02:53   #5

hey captnjack thanks for the info

That passage came from page 9 from the UPV_JobAid2011 PDF document in the first post.

I was reading the different CFR Titles and the only one I saw pretaining to Maritime rules was Title 33 Navigation and Navigable Waters

-Is the only CFR title (& parts) that I need to get to know or am I missing something?

- What insurance company's do you recommend for a 6 pack operation?

- What type of insurance coverage should I get? ( General liability & equipment)

-If I am running a 6 pack operation with a 2002 24ft Zodiac on a lake what do you think the monthly insurance cost would be?

- What daily, weekly, monthly, yearly record keeping do I need to do to be in compliance with the Coast Guard?

- Is their a online store that sells boating safety / emergency plans?

Thanks
Waternut
Old 08 March 2012, 03:47   #6

Well the quoted red passage is basically irrelevant to you. There's no way you'll be getting a RIB which is >100 tons. That's in the 65ft long neighborhood. I am guessing that section is a specific Congressional exception from the general rule that >6 passengers requires an inspected vessel. I'm guessing for some sort of unique situation like crab boats in Alaska being able to take villagers from island to island where there's otherwise no ferry service or something weird like that.

Sorry I can't recommend commercial operator's insurance, you'll have to find a broker licensed in your state to help you with a company/policy.

I realize you are excited, but I would get your license before worrying about how to create your business. One book you might find helpful is Make Money With Your Captain's License: How to Get a Job or Run a Business on a Boat by David Brown. You can find it via various online retailers.
Old 08 March 2012, 15:06   #7

You're doing things right, but alot of questions that you have will be answered in your oupv class. Getting your capt license is a few month long process. It could take 3-4 months by the time you take the oupv, then masters upgrade, other endorsements, twic card, etc. DEFINITELY go through a good school. Don't take it online because there is no substitute for being able to talk to and interact with an instructor who's been on the water his whole life. If you're in the NY area, I'll give you the name of a fantastic maritime school that goes above and beyond to help you. Let me know.
Old 08 March 2012, 15:15   #8

https://homeport.uscg.mil/cgi-bin/st...source=CONTENT

look at uscg MTN 01-08
Old 08 March 2012, 15:18   #9

And post some pics of your zodiac!
Old 08 March 2012, 15:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gstnj View Post
Don't forget this is just the hull BTW. Motor installation etc is a whole 'nother section already covered in conventional non-RIB requirements.
Old 09 March 2012, 06:29   #11

Will I have any problems with using a Zodiac Medline 3 for a 6 pack operation?

If I just have a 6 pack operation does the boat get initially inspected before being put into charter use?

From what I found if Im running a 6 pack operation the only things I have to comply with are in these two guidebooks below is that correct?

http://www.uscg.mil/pvs/docs/UPV_JobAid2011.pdf

http://www.uscg.mil/pvs/docs/UPV%20E...%20JUN2008.pdf

Thanks
Old 09 March 2012, 21:12   #12

also here is a picture of her
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	66153  
Old 09 March 2012, 21:30   #13

There are seats for 7 on that? (you plus 6 passengers) On a commercial vessel passengers cannot sit on tubes underway.
Old 09 March 2012, 21:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
There are seats for 7 on that? (you plus 6 passengers) On a commercial vessel passengers cannot sit on tubes underway.
the center bow padding can be removed so people can sit upright with their feet on the floor.

Does the seating in the bow area count for a commercial vessel?

The bow seating fits 4-5 people

the stern area fits 3-4 people + captain + "copilot" seat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac 2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	66154  
Old 10 March 2012, 01:33   #15

I don't think you'll have a problem as long as your passengers can sit inside the tubes. Although you may run out of room for storing the rediculous Pdfs you'll be required to carry.