Old 14 December 2006, 06:20   #1

Town: Pacific NW
Make: zodiac pro 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tiller 25 yamaha
batton down the hatches

anyone else in the way of this monster? oregon/washington coast?

we're expecting 100mph gusts and 40 ft seas by tommorow night! this is a big one for this area.

i'll be in astoria watching the show. boat nicely stowed in the shop.
Old 14 December 2006, 06:40   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Monterey is looking a bit calmer (though not diving weather by any means.)

.TONIGHT...NW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. W SWELL 10 TO 13 FT AT 14 SECONDS. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN. .THU...W WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. NW SWELL 14 TO 18 FT AT 15 SECONDS. .THU NIGHT...W WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. NW SWELL 15 TO 17 FT AT 14 SECONDS. A CHANCE OF RAIN. .FRI...NW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. NW SWELL 16 TO 19 FT. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. .FRI NIGHT...NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. NW SWELL 16 TO 19 FT. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. .SAT...NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. NW SWELL 13 TO 16 FT. SHOWERS LIKELY. .SUN...NW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. WIND WAVES 4 TO 7 FT. NW SWELL 13 TO 16 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. .MON...N WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. NW SWELL 13 TO 16 FT.

Not the worst I've seen, but the sofa and a DVD is looking sort of OK right now...

jky

Forgot to add: Luck to you guys...
Old 14 December 2006, 15:09   #3

Town: Vancouver B.C.
Length: no boat
I guess it its coming right at us

Environment Canada Weather Forecast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marine Forecast issued for West Coast Vancouver Island South.
Issued: 4 AM PST Thursday 14 December 2006 for the period ending 4 AM Friday with an outlook for the following 24 hours.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Synopsis:
A 986 millibar low well offshore will intensify as it approaches the south coast today. The low will cross southern Vancouver Island overnight with a 972 millibar centre.
Over northern waters moderate southwesterly winds will ease to light this morning. Winds will rise to gale locally storm force northerlies in the south this afternoon and to moderate to strong northwesterly in the north this evening.
Over southern waters light to moderate variable winds will rise to gale to storm force east to southeast along the outer coast This morning and to gale force east to southeast over the inner waters this afternoon. To the north and west of the low the winds will back to storm force northwesterlies.

Forecast:
Storm warning continued.
Winds southerly 10 to 20 knots rising to southeast gales 40 to Storm force 50 this morning then easing to southerly 20 to 30 This afternoon. Winds rising to northwest storm force 50 to 55 late this evening. Rain.
Seas 5 to 6 metres building to 7 to 8 tonight.
Outlook. Storm force northwesterly easing to moderate variable.

Copyright © 2006 Environment Canada
All Rights Reserved
Old 14 December 2006, 16:13   #4

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiachop View Post
anyone else in the way of this monster? oregon/washington coast?

we're expecting 100mph gusts and 40 ft seas by tommorow night! this is a big one for this area.

i'll be in astoria watching the show. boat nicely stowed in the shop.
Can you keep that one to yourselves. We're getting fed up with all the high winds over here.
Old 14 December 2006, 16:32   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Can you keep that one to yourselves. We're getting fed up with all the high winds over here.
Tell me about it - rain gales rain gales storms hurricanes - and thats been constant the last 6 weeks - got to the stage 60 or 70kts is just a bit of a breeze!!!
Old 14 December 2006, 17:15   #6

to make things worse, the rain gods delivered almost 14 inches of rain last month.

14" of rain + 100mph winds = damage

i'm sleeping downstairs in case my huge tree decides to come inside!
Old 14 December 2006, 17:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Tell me about it - rain gales rain gales storms hurricanes - and thats been constant the last 6 weeks - got to the stage 60 or 70kts is just a bit of a breeze!!!
Codders didn't Capel Curig get 4 1/2 inches of rain in 24 hours last weekend
Old 14 December 2006, 17:49   #8

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
foul weather

hi guys, based on the info that we have available to us, you better get used to it.
What with USA walking away from kyoto and China only getting started, there will be worse on the way, at least.

Better get cabins on the ribs, Nick Hern is the clever one with cabin, beds galley, gin_+T you know...
Old 14 December 2006, 19:57   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Codders didn't Capel Curig get 4 1/2 inches of rain in 24 hours last weekend

Yup - nothing new either - of course we don't get much flooding and even with 100mph+ winds we only get a few small trees down - the West coast gets such a battering the trees only grow in the sheltered spots. God help the South East when they get it though.

A friend is over from the Gambia at the moment and he can't believe our weather - he can't understand why we haven't been washed away!!!
Old 15 December 2006, 11:22   #10

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
What with USA walking away from kyoto and China only getting started, there will be worse on the way, at least.
Do you guys ever feel guilty about the amount of fuel you suck? I suppose we make a disproportionate contribution to this problem. I recently picked up a small car for running around in so I don't need to drive the Mighty Yukon any more than I need too....

Speaking of weather though, it was about 14C here yesterday. The local golf course has opened their driving range again. If I hadn't winterized the engine on my boat, I might be tempted....

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2006, 13:17   #11

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Do you guys ever feel guilty about the amount of fuel you suck?

Not guilty, but I do try to be prudent/conscienscious about minimizing the amount pollution I may create.
Old 15 December 2006, 17:45   #12

I think that storm has knocked out a server I use. Apparently the Power company won't do any repair work to get the power back on until the winds have died down. Hope its quick.
Old 15 December 2006, 22:24   #13

Quote:
hi guys, based on the info that we have available to us, you better get used to it.

Better get cabins on the ribs, Nick Hern is the clever one with cabin, beds galley, gin_+T you know...

well the beast has passed. 114mph on an exposed headland on the central oregon coast. lots of damage, 250,000 homes without power, but most importantly no major injuries.

you are right aidan. the U.S. wants everything on it's own terms to ensure profits which in turn buy sweet weapons. we ARE sloowly making progress though (mainly because willy nelson told us to use biodiesel) what's even more scary is that china is just getting started and i don't think they are too concerned about the environment. it's possible the last yangtze river dolphin may have ended up on president Hu Jintau's dinner plate. mmm, dolphin.
Old 15 December 2006, 23:32   #14

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Hu's plate?
Old 15 December 2006, 23:52   #15

i dig the who's Hu humor pt. he's the man roll'n in the fake nikes.
Old 16 December 2006, 00:28   #16

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Hi Do Columbia chop

Yeah China is only kick starting its motor, they have shown what I can only call a "reluctance" to join in on this save the world. Perhaps they can start with Tianaman Sq and an apology to their own people and we can take it from there.

Wit regard to you guys in USA, you really have to start reading news papers from places that are not financed from some "obscure Budget".
Try the "Irish Times". It is suitably right of centre, but it will look radically left from some of your papers point of view.

Point is, "if you are kept in the dark and fed shite, you may as well call yourself a mushroom"

There is a light at the end of the tunnel now, I hope that Mr. Baker has the balls for the job now that Donny got a job on a "shrimp Boat"

anyway glad that storm is over for you....
Old 16 December 2006, 07:41   #17

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Saw the news reports, and a couple of friends up that way are reporting that they're currently on the candle and firewood routine.

Hope all's well with anyone affected;

jky
Old 16 December 2006, 09:07   #18

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
This morning's online news has over a million people without power in Washington and Oregon. No estimates provided for North of the border.

I assume the power companies will see some help from outside the region to get it all back up again. When folk question me about the "terror" of hurricanes we have down here I always tell them that it ain't the storm, it's the aftermath with no power for days, weeks or longer, no phone and all your stuff trashed, that hurts.

Best of luck up there!

Tomas
Old 16 December 2006, 09:20   #19

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
Quote:
Yeah China is only kick starting its motor, they have shown what I can only call a "reluctance" to join in on this save the world. Perhaps they can start with Tianaman Sq and an apology to their own people and we can take it from there.

Wit regard to you guys in USA, you really have to start reading news papers from places that are not financed from some "obscure Budget".
Try the "Irish Times". It is suitably right of centre, but it will look radically left from some of your papers point of view.

Point is, "if you are kept in the dark and fed shite, you may as well call yourself a mushroom"

There is a light at the end of the tunnel now, I hope that Mr. Baker has the balls for the job now that Donny got a job on a "shrimp Boat"

anyway glad that storm is over for you....
Thanks for your guidance. I especially value advice from Ireland given your spotless record of civility and governance. By the way...it would be a Mr. Gates, not a Mr. Baker that has the job and Donny can go screw himself.
Old 16 December 2006, 15:44   #20

you know gates is on to something great when warren buffet (second richest man in the world) pledges to donate the bulk of his wealth to his foundation when he dies. the west may have dented the ozone with our big suv's but we are also some of the most generous people in the world. just ask one of the millions of aids victims in africa for example.

back to the storm...

thanks for the kind words. yes still a couple hundred thousand without power!
at least we had very few deaths and injuries. i think we were lucky.