Old 29 June 2010, 00:40   #1

Town: Milton
Boat name: Sanford 6M
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: TBD - Outboard
Avon 6m SeaRider?

Hello,

I'm new to the sight, but love all the good information. I recently bought the attached with hopes of bringing it back to life, but have a couple key questions before I start cutting holes to install a fuel tank below deck.

First, a little about the boat. It was advertised as a 1994 (era) Avon 6.0 SeaRider. The boat measures about 17' from stem to stern, and 6'2" in the beam at it's widest. It apparently had twin engines, but I plan to install a single engine, when I get to that point.

Below are some questions: Any information would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is the purpose of the opening (about 4" in diameter) in the stern (center line, down towards the bottom of the hull - not the 2 4" holes for deck draining). It appears to be a tube that runs towards the bow, but I have no idea. Is there something that plugs it, or does it serve a useful technical purpose?

2. When I was cleaning out the bilge, which was very dirty, I noticed that the water really didn't drain. I did notice some .25" holes in various places in the hull, and at one point, there was some water draining out. Was the boat made with these holes, or was this something done, for whatever reason, after the fact? Does the boat use water for "ballast"? Can the holes be plugged, and drain plugs installed in the stern? The reason I'm asking, is that I would like to install an aluminum tank below the deck, but I'm not sure what to think about what is going on below deck.

3. Do I have what I think I have? or is this another model? Also, will a 150hp motor be appropriate for this boat?

4. Finally, what is the affect on handling if I shift the center Console towards the center of the boat, as opposed to towards the bow, as I believe it was originally.

Photos are on this website: http://gallery.me.com/milton.leimkuehlers#100148
Old 29 June 2010, 15:57   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectAvon2010 View Post
1. What is the purpose of the opening (about 4" in diameter) in the stern
I believe it's a water ballast system. Allows teh hull to fill with water at rest to enhance stability. When underway, the water drains out. From what I read (I'm not a Searider guy), many people seal this off front and back.

Don't know about your other questions, sorry.

jky
Old 17 August 2010, 00:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I believe it's a water ballast system. Allows teh hull to fill with water at rest to enhance stability. When underway, the water drains out. From what I read (I'm not a Searider guy), many people seal this off front and back.

Don't know about your other questions, sorry.

jky
jky...

Thanks for the reply. I got into the deck, and decided that it should come off. then I got sawzall happy, and got rid of that pesky ballast system, as it would inhibit my placement of a below deck fuel tank. Now I'm cookin...
Old 29 August 2010, 18:07   #4

Town: annapolis
Boat name: hot rubber
Make: zodiac
Engine: 150 merc
thats a lot of work

Hi Avon2010

It can take 150 as you can see it had twin 70s on it before, moving the cc over the center line would give you a ride you might not like.

Please keep us informed on how things go now thats a job! good luck

mark
Old 31 August 2010, 23:01   #5

mark,

Thanks. I have thought about that cc movement, quite a bit. I am hoping, however, that the installation of the batteries forward of the cc and a fuel tank below will give me some weight forward, which is why (I assume) they had the cc so far forward in the first place.

I am waffling a bit on the addition of an extension for the bracket. I finally got all of the deck and stringers removed, so now it's time for the real work. I'm also scratching my head over the use of foam versus wood for the stringers, but still leaning towards foam... there's now way that foam stringers could look as bad as the wood ones I pulled out : )...

I'll keep you posted.
Old 24 October 2010, 02:43   #6

Infrastructure costing more than the boat

Getting ready for winter.... Boat's inside, and I'm still working the hull. I've decided to go with Douglas Fir stringers after much back and forth on a forum in boatdesign.net. I have mixed emotions, but I'm confident that they will work out fine, and at a minimum, better than the original plywood that it's replacing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA230015.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	55094  
Old 24 October 2010, 19:59   #7

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Is it true that a job like that can turn you to drink?
Old 25 October 2010, 01:27   #8

Not sure... Drinking is what caused me to buy the bought in the first place. Now I have to continue drinking, just to make it seem sane that I continue...
Old 25 October 2010, 23:58   #9

Town: Scituate
Boat name: Rib-it
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha F115
These things happen to the best of us... be sure to keep an adequate supply to make it thru the winter.

Where did you pick up the hull? Looks like a great project. Feel free to let me know if you need a couple of cold ones in an emergency. I'm right around the corner and will deliver.
Old 26 October 2010, 02:36   #10

Thanks! Good to see someone local, and thanks for the offer. I'm moving pretty slow, but would love to show at some point would love to host. I can supply the cold ones...

I'll keep posting the progress, but in the meantime, let me know when you're in the Milton area
Old 27 October 2010, 22:42   #11

Town: Stuart, FL
Make: Willard 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x 175 Suzuki's
Great set up.

Looks like the perfect getaway. Keep us informed and the pictures comming. Looks like a good project boat.
Old 29 October 2010, 06:36   #12

Town: Houston, TX
Boat name: Lady Ashley
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Engine: 70 Merc 2S
Good to see an update on your project. I put the cc in the center of my 5.4 SR with both batteries and a 12g fuel tank built in. I also have a 12g tank at the stern and a 5hp aux. The boat is well balanced and very dry in a chop. I did have a problem jumping on plane, but I am slightly underpowered with a 70hp 2s. A fin on the motor fixed that problem and didn't effect top end or handling much after I figured out how it liked to be trimmed. If you are stern heavy, you could always add trim tabs, but with a 150 yours should fly out of the water. Good luck
Old 06 December 2010, 20:38   #13

Town: Negaunee, Michigan
Make: Avon SR6
Engine: 150hp Evinrude
I am a SR6 owner and LOVE IT!!

Water Ballast System is the cats Meow!! I use it for scuba diving and while sitting still it is stuck to the surface and rolls with the waves instead of bouncing around. Once up on plain she runs like crazy! I would never disable mine.

I have a 27gal. fuel cell under the jockey seat which allowed me to install a small bench seat where the fuel tanks used to be to allow additional seating and storage.

I have a 150hp Evinrude on mine and LOVE it! There is another SR6 used by a fire rescue department on Lake Michigan with twins and mine walks away from theirs.

Warning! I installed a 12" set back plate on the back of my transom to get my prop in more desirable water. I am only running a standard shaft not a long. That is one way to overcome the going from twins to single and using what motors are readily available to you.

After attaching the pics I remembered the hatch that I installed on the front of the console that allows for a ton more storage. Couldn't get it in black but I will end up painting it.

Funny, I was out last summer and I think it was seal team 6 was here training with their monsters! We all got a kick out of both of our RIBS! And ex-coasties love what I've done to their work boats.

I did not see an arch in your photos. In my opinion it is a must. If you can see in the photos I have a pfd package hanging on the bottom side of it. Most of us on my boat are wearing neoprene wet or dry suits and don't wear the pfd but they need to be there for USCG inspection. But the arch also gets my dive flag and antennas up in a better out of the way location.

You may want to leave the tow post on. You will find that you will often be mistaken for USCG and asked to render assistance. And how can you really say no when you look so cool on this boat? I do not charge a fee but the gratuities help pay for the fuel that 150hp sucks

There is a guy in Connecticut that has an Awesome SR6 I have some photos some where but there were taken in winter and it was snow covered. I believe he had a 225 on his along with an aluminum center cabin.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCP_3842.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	55984   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_3843.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	55985  
Old 18 February 2011, 23:08   #14

This isn't funny anymore

...especially when it affects my progress. All the snow in the NE area has slowed my progress, by crushing my "winter workshop". Yes, the boat is under there somewhere...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG00123-20110211-1532.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	57142  
Old 18 February 2011, 23:41   #15

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
That's God telling you you should've had it done already!
Old 26 April 2011, 09:41   #16

Town: Kwajalein, RMI.
Boat name: Golden Cowry
Make: Avon (Searider 6m)
Engine: 2xEvinrude Etec 90hp
Avon 6m SeaRider?

ProjectAvon2010,

Hey.

How's progress? I was enthralled with your photo-doc stripping the deck for a fuel tank install. Pretty bold ! How's that going? It's tough fitting all the fuel tank you'd like into this boat. I installed a 40 gal. tank under the console and forward making a seat ahead of the console.

I used my SR6 extensively with the ballast enabled for diving and have to agree it makes for a much more stable boat when sitting/anchored. The boat just settles into the water and does not bob or rock. The original intent was for rescue operations to get very close to the water to pull people onboard easily. But we aren't doing rescue.

Still, we opted to plug it up. I found that in rough water we'd constantly have water splashing up over the back transom and we'd come up from a dive to see the deck full of water... Plugging it raises the boat and keeps it there. But, with more rocking.

In retrospect - had I known - while we had the boat in pieces I'd have raised the back transom straight across. And installed long shaft. And kept the ballast enabled.

As for the rest of the discussion, I think getting as much weight forward of the centerline is best for this boat. Especially if you can afford plenty of power.

We have made double-duty use of the original arch, filling it with mesh netting to store and contain life preservers and etc.

We are seriously considering a transom extension now to make more room in the back.

Golden Cowry,

https://profiles.google.com/101053888109376129346/about
Old 16 May 2011, 19:12   #17

Progress is SLOW!!!! Admittedly, work and life are seriously impeding my progress. I also took the opportunity to fix up my work shop. Your note is very helpful. One thing I don't want to do is start this, get half way there, and figure out that I've screwed something up. I'm still not worried about plugging it up, but I may see how I can push the batteries, gas, etc as far forward as possible. I'm also reworking the transom to be open, so the water just runs out. Floating a little higher may help me, although there a little more rock and roll when I stop. I could be completely out to lunch, but then again, I'm also a glutten for punishment.

I'll post again, when I'm getting ready to put the deck stringer's in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemon View Post
ProjectAvon2010,

Hey.

How's progress? I was enthralled with your photo-doc stripping the deck for a fuel tank install. Pretty bold ! How's that going? It's tough fitting all the fuel tank you'd like into this boat. I installed a 40 gal. tank under the console and forward making a seat ahead of the console.

I used my SR6 extensively with the ballast enabled for diving and have to agree it makes for a much more stable boat when sitting/anchored. The boat just settles into the water and does not bob or rock. The original intent was for rescue operations to get very close to the water to pull people onboard easily. But we aren't doing rescue.

Still, we opted to plug it up. I found that in rough water we'd constantly have water splashing up over the back transom and we'd come up from a dive to see the deck full of water... Plugging it raises the boat and keeps it there. But, with more rocking.

In retrospect - had I known - while we had the boat in pieces I'd have raised the back transom straight across. And installed long shaft. And kept the ballast enabled.

As for the rest of the discussion, I think getting as much weight forward of the centerline is best for this boat. Especially if you can afford plenty of power.

We have made double-duty use of the original arch, filling it with mesh netting to store and contain life preservers and etc.

We are seriously considering a transom extension now to make more room in the back.

Golden Cowry,

https://profiles.google.com/101053888109376129346/about
Old 21 May 2011, 07:38   #18

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Minnow View Post
You may want to leave the tow post on. You will find that you will often be mistaken for USCG and asked to render assistance. And how can you really say no when you look so cool on this boat? I do not charge a fee but the gratuities help pay for the fuel that 150hp sucks
If I recall, you can't legally charge a fee unless you're a licensed Captain, though gratuities are fine (and there's a fine line between an offered gratuity and a "suggested" one.) The other worry is liability: if you take a vessel under tow, you become responsible for damage to the vessel under tow and any damage to third parties that either boat may cause.

Not saying you shouldn't help; just that you should be aware of of what you're taking on. I always help out other boaters with problems, but operate very carefully around other property.

Luck with both your Avon's;

jky