Old 23 January 2007, 19:41   #1

Town: Smithfield, Virginia
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Atlantic Rigid Corp.
Length: 7m +
Engine: looking
Atlantic Rigid Corporation help

I am a new registar through the very helpful advise of Adam at Ribcraft who suggested this avenue to me. I now am recently the owner of a 1995 ARC 14ft rib. It was originally used as a tender, but has great potential for much more. My friend, had new zippers installed on both side rubber covers, and ARC factory sent him two new bladders 3 years ago before they went out of business. I desperatley need new valves, as they are the only thing that leaks air-the tubes and bladders are in very good condition. I have heard that someone or company is trying to aquire the old fiberglass molds and parts inventory somwhere in Portsmouth Rhode Island. I also need to retrofit a new console and steering equipment, along with a different type of bench seating for riders. It has flat teak seats (3). Can someone steer me in the right directions for the above?, I also need a new engine a 40 hp will do. Thanks, Walt
Old 24 January 2007, 00:11   #2

Town: Pacific NW
Make: zodiac pro 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tiller 25 yamaha
hello and welcome.

can you take some pictures of your new boat and post them? that would help. i'm having trouble picturing zippers.

i'm in the middle of the same process. (interior/seating retrofit)

andy
Old 24 January 2007, 02:56   #3

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Length: 5m +
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
east coast yacht sales (www.ecys.com) in yarmouth me told me about an outfit in RI that repairs ribs and I believe he said their location is Portsmouth. Can not remember the name but give him a call. They sell hbi but he was very helpful good luck
Old 24 January 2007, 04:46   #4

Town: Pacific NW
Make: zodiac pro 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tiller 25 yamaha
rodgersyachtsales.com

they sell hbi ribs. i've spoken to the owner, rodger, a few times and he's very helpful. they will have all the console/seating stuff available too.

good luck
Old 24 January 2007, 18:45   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Maxwell View Post
I desperatley need new valves, as they are the only thing that leaks air
Do you know what kind of valves they are? Pictures may help there. Replacement valves aren't all that hard to find, ID'ing exactly what you need, however, can be.

Are you sure that the valves you have aren't just a bit cruddy/dirty/salty? Most valves, I think, use a small rubber flap that seals against a plastic face (though I also think some use something like an oversize Schrader valve...) Any crap that gets in there between the face and the flap can cause leaks.

Most boats have valves that can be removed (make sure you don't lose inner parts into the tubes, though.) A soak in vinegar will get rid of any salt; a blast of high pressure water should remove any other debris.

Luck;

jky
Old 30 January 2007, 22:05   #6

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
The place in RI is most likely Liferaft & Survival http://www.lrse.com/

I understand it is THE place for inflatable repairs in the NE of the USA. I've heard lots of good things about them, and spoke to them once at a boat show.
Old 22 April 2007, 03:26   #7

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
Arc

I had an 18' ARC rib built for me back in 1992. I remember seeing the 14' version at that time. The zipper design actually worked very well. The design allowed the boat to be repaired easily while underway if needed. When I replace her last year, she was still going strong. The buyer took her on a trip from the Hudson River in NYC all the way up to Canada, so that should tell you something. The boat required a little tlc.

First, spray the zippers with silicon lube 2-3 times a season, and work both the inner and outer zippers at that time to keep them limber.

Second, at first i had a couple of slow leaks I could not find. They appeared to be the valves. In fact, the problem was caused by very small abrasions on the bladders. I diagnosed this by filling the bladders (removed for the boat) hard, then spraying with a soapy water solution. Lo and behold, I found areas that looked ok, but were pin leaks. The repair consisted of releasing some of the air, cleaning the affected area with MEK or acetone then applying a layer of aqua seal (most dive shops carry it to fix torn wet suits) to the problem spot. Let cure 24 hours, pump it up and the leak should be fixed.

The valves should be available at any good rib repair shop, I can't remember the brand, but I think they were made in England.

Hope this helps, Good luck with your boat.

By the way, feel free to contact me for any other ARC information.

Bill
Old 22 April 2007, 15:22   #8

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Engine: 90hp merc
some info

If you google " inflatable experts of RI" you should find the websight your looking for. They are in portsmith RI and sell a lot of stuff for inflatables. They even advertise on this sight. but it is a link something like "MSBinflatables". If I find the link Ill trty to post it. good luck
Old 03 May 2007, 02:10   #9

Town: Palm Beach
Boat name: Octopussy
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Diesel
I have 23ft ARC RIB. It came with two spare valves, but I gotta keep them just in case. I will, however, read the info printed on the valve and let you know who makes them. My pontoons don't have zippers.

BTW, I've did a search in boat manufacturer database, and ARC went out of biz mid 90s, then got bought out by another company, and then they got bougth by another Co. I'll try and get that info as well, maybe you can contact current owner of their inventory/assets.

Will post tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2051.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	26501  
Old 03 May 2007, 13:17   #10

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
Arc

You're right about the company. It was basically two principals, Russell Hoyte
and another guy, Whitey. They had a small number of other employees. The hulls were from Maryland and the tubes were originally made by an industrial company from Springfield MA. and later by Wing, some were also made by someone else. Unfortunately, Russell died of cancer in the late 1990's. He was the money guy. His wife continued in his place, but she too became ill and died. After that, the company pretty much fell apart. Being that I enjoyed my ARC, I remember conversations with Whitey concerning purchasing another boat from ARC, but they were never able to produce a spec sheet let alone a boat by that time. It was unfortunate, they made a good, commercial quality boat.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020214.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	26505   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020220.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	26506