Click Here to Login

Old 09 October 2013, 18:02   #1

Town: Livermore
Boat name: Rogue
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 140
Anyone use Tuff-Coat for hypalon tubes

I have a 19' Apex RIB with tubes that are showing significant wear on the top surface. Some from rubbing, some appears to be just UV damage. The coating is worn down to the threads in multiple places. It does not yet leak. I am looking at the various painting options to build up the coating to prevent developing wear leaks. The Tuff-Coat system sounds good, but it's expensive. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it, and what their result was. Also, any insight about how difficult it is to apply properly would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old 09 October 2013, 18:06   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Can't you put wear patches over the cords that are showing? Painting really is the last resort before a retube.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 October 2013, 22:57   #3

I have done that already, but now the wear is so widespread that it isn't feasible. I'd have to glue new fabric over the entire upper surface of the tubes.
Old 09 October 2013, 23:39   #4

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccohn2000 View Post
I have done that already, but now the wear is so widespread that it isn't feasible. I'd have to glue new fabric over the entire upper surface of the tubes.
Pictures would help.

But I think you need a retubing.
Old 10 October 2013, 06:27   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccohn2000 View Post
Would putting another layer over the top of the tubes be all that expensive? Don't get me wrong I've no experience of doing this but it doesn't sound like a bad idea.
Old 10 October 2013, 16:45   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
It's all your tech gear.

Should probably have Sal glue on some wear patches. Better option IMO than the paint stuff.

jky
Old 10 October 2013, 19:20   #7
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
This guy pretty much covered the entire top of the tubes at the bow:
http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/wear-pat...tec-51117.html
Seems feasible.
Old 10 October 2013, 21:03   #8

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Yes, when I bought the Ribtec this about time last year, the bow was by far the worst area as you can see from the photos in that thread quoted above. Having done various searches on here and asked questions, tube paint seemed to be mainly hated and only used as a last ditch resort. Several members had had recover work done successfully to prolong the life of the existing tubes, at a fraction of the cost of a full retube.

Given only the tube tops were worn, by a combination of rope and sun, and they remained inflated fully, it seemed a shame to replace the entire tubes, especially as I wanted to try it for a bit to see how much use I got out of the RIB.

I had the bow professionally recovered a year ago with the same spec/colour fabric as the tubes, and so far it's been brilliant. No issues at all.

And then last month, Rodella Ribs put a series of wear patches on for me, including some large (1.5m x 0.6m) at the stern, to cover the bad areas down the length of the tubes. Those pics are here: http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/max-size...tch-57401.html .

I'm very happy with both of these sets of patches - they should give me a few more years use at minimal cost. And if I decide I do want to keep the RIB long term, I'll look at a retube then.

Regards,

Paul
Old 11 October 2013, 14:29   #9

I'll take it to Sal at Sal's inflatables. He doesn't much like the paint idea either. JKY, the tech gear isn't it. It's everywhere but where my gear sits. :-)
Old 11 October 2013, 15:39   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
OK. I blame Larry then.

jky
Old 15 October 2013, 03:31   #11

Town: Eureka,CA
Make: HBI
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp yamaha o/b
Hey guys, here's my two cents on using Tuff Coat. If you take a look at one of my albums, you'll see that I have the tubes off and there are areas where the threads are showing in hard to patch areas. These are off my 1989 HBI 18' and the manufacturer said that it would cost 10 grand for a retube.

I decided to try the product and for 600 bucks, I'm very happy with the results. I have to warn you though that I think I got great results because the extreme amount of elbow grease that went into this project. If you don't prepare the foundation real well, forget about it. Because, like a good paint job on a car, I don't think it will hold up without it.

All of this was done over 2 1/2 years ago. If I did recommend this way to anyone, I would say to stick to the grey and go with a colored accent because it takes a couple 3 coats of the orange to cover properly.

I have read where others have not been happy with it but I figure you get what you put into it.