Old 01 August 2015, 12:38   #1
zip

Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cummins
Aluminum Versus Galvanized Trailers

I own a galvanized trailer that I used to transport my previously owned 23.5 foot boat. I am looking for a 7M, and my intentions are to use my existing trailer. The trailer has adjustable bunks, and weighs around 2K pounds. I was under the impression that your average ex mil 7M weighs around 6K pounds, and would put my whole load at around 8K pounds.

I recently met with NCP and viewed his 7M boat and trailer set up. It is very nice. I was quite surprised when he informed me that his trailer weighs around 800 pounds, and the combined weight was around 6K pounds. The bunks are not adjustable, and the trailer looks like it was custom made for this boat.

I currently have a van with a 7.3 turbo diesel, which will tow anything I want. I had a car and this vehicle and just sold my car. I only want to own one vehicle. I am going to sell van and downsize to some sort of mid/full SUV. I was under the impression that I would have to get something that would tow around 8K pounds.

After looking at NCP's setup, it appears I can could downsize to an even smaller SUV, which would be preferable.

I'm looking for opinions on aluminum versus galvanized trailers.

Thanks.
Old 01 August 2015, 23:38   #2

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Look at it from this perspective.,it is not whether the vehicle as the capability to toe your boat but rather whether you can STOP it safely. I know a guy who bragged that his Volvo could tie his new rib. He found out the hard way it could not stop it.
Just my two cents !
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2015, 03:07   #3
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Actually, the 800lbs was a guess. I just looked it up - it's 998lbs. Still, considerably less than the weight of your galvanized trailer.

It's all about your comfort level. I have always felt comfortable towing that boat with my car. I towed it back from the Canadian border after I purchased it and I tow it all over southern California. It's well within the weight limits. The trailer was custom made (they had the boat there when it was built), has disc brakes, and is well balanced.

But, some people feel that an F350 would be necessary just to feel comfortable/confident (cgoing, not saying you said that was necessary but some people might!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1345148141038.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	107569  
Old 02 August 2015, 12:11   #4

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
NCP- you are exactly right about comfort level. Trailering is almost a lost art. I go in and out of NYC and Boston all the time towing boats and people tell me I am crazy but that is in my comfort zone.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2015, 15:56   #5
zip

I don't want to be stupid and exceed manufacturer's recommended towing capacities, but would love to go with the smallest vehicle I can.
If Tom's rig is around 6500 pounds, maybe that is within his vehicles capacities.
I guess I will wait until I actually get my 7M.
Old 05 August 2015, 19:15   #6

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Engine: Suzuki 250
I took my boat to the scale today and it weighs 5300lbs, boat and trailer.

Also discovered, what I already knew, that I am way short on tongue weight. I have to move the axles back. Anybody know if there is a rule of thumb about that it does it differ by boat? I got that 600lbs lump hanging off the very back.

Jason
Old 05 August 2015, 20:54   #7

As a quick, and possibly proper, fix I moved the boat forward 7". The back of the engine bracket is now at the back of the bunks as if it were the transom. I took it for a spin and it rides much better.
Old 06 August 2015, 13:11   #8
zip

Jason,

Glad you had an easy and fast fix. Before you moved boat forward, did your bow not rest in the forward v stop, or did you just move the bracket forward?

Is your trailer aluminum or galvanized?
Old 06 August 2015, 15:58   #9

Well, I'm not sure it's completely fixed yet, I need to go weigh it again. it's better but it was really bad. i moved the whole bow stop assembly forward. I think I had guessed way back when I got the trailer and never remembered to re-evaluate the setup.

It's a galvanized trailer, a used EZ Loader that I hate. It has a weird bunk setup on adjustable articulating arms like a roller setup. Supposed to make it adjust to your boat, all I have ever seen it do it adjust to the wrong place if there is any current or surge. It was priced right and it was local when I needed a trailer, you get what you pay for.

Jason