Old 24 January 2013, 14:48   #1

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
733 OB Trailer?

Hi,

I'm thinking about a new trailer for my 733 and was curious if any of you had a suggestion? Make, Model? Length? Should the bunks go back and support the outboard bracket? The existing trailer is too small but works for the time being. I have the boat off the trailer and ready to flip so now might be a good time to replace.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 24 January 2013, 16:48   #2

Town: New York City
Boat name: T/T Something Bigger
Make: Bollinger 6MAvon 5.4
Length: 10m +
Engine: TJohnson75hp/Y90
I have a 30ft trailer under mine with bunks and although it is too big for me with the outdrive I like the fact that the bunks extend beyond the furthest rear point if only as an initial point of contact. Mine is a five star brand I bought having never been wet off a guy who owes my transporter for 2500 with ss brake lines and fenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 24 January 2013, 17:05   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe007 View Post
I like the fact that the bunks extend beyond the furthest rear point if only as an initial point of contact.
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this?

When recovering, the initial point of contact will be further towards the front of the bunks. Or I'd think you need to get the trailer deeper.

jky
Old 24 January 2013, 17:12   #4

Town: New York City
Boat name: T/T Something Bigger
Make: Bollinger 6MAvon 5.4
Engine: TJohnson75hp/Y90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this?

When recovering, the initial point of contact will be further towards the front of the bunks. Or I'd think you need to get the trailer deeper.

jky
I was thinking more from the aspect of getting rear ended on the 101. Never had a problem putting it in as the bunks are on pivots and while it gets a little nose high its all good. I find drivers notice outboards way more than my I/o when slowing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 24 January 2013, 23:40   #5

101, eh? Another California guy? Or further north?

Know what you mean (despite having an outboard.) I recently made up an orange prop cover (similar to the UK bags) to get a bit more visibility.

BTW, I doubt the bunks will do much to prevent damage from a car trying to occupy your trailer space.
Old 17 February 2013, 17:23   #6

Town: Los Angeles
Length: no boat
Quote:
101, eh? Another California guy? Or further north?

Know what you mean (despite having an outboard.) I recently made up an orange prop cover (similar to the UK bags) to get a bit more visibility.

BTW, I doubt the bunks will do much to prevent damage from a car trying to occupy your trailer space.
Ace trailer out of Florida. Talk to terry. Bought one for my 24' inboard; I specified the tongue weight and he designed it to suit. I was impressed. Great aluminum trailer at a great price.
Old 18 February 2013, 03:01   #7

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Engine: Suzuki 250
thanks! I'll take a look. What specs did you give them? How much does your boat weight?

Jason
Old 19 February 2013, 15:58   #8

Might try Pacific Trailers in Chino, as well.

jky
Old 19 February 2013, 16:09   #9
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Might try Pacific Trailers in Chino, as well.

jky
They aren't cheap unless you can swing a deal (I got a decent price because my frame was already built and it was a canceled order). Also, I haven't enjoyed them for customer service! (I can give more details if someone really wants).
Old 20 February 2013, 15:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Also, I haven't enjoyed them for customer service! (I can give more details if someone really wants).
I've bought small pieces from Pacific; never noticed anything out of the ordinary. They were actually pretty helpful when the unit I wanted wasn't available, took time to ask about the application and come up with a substitute.

So, yeah; I'd be interested in hearing about it.

jky
Old 20 February 2013, 16:57   #11
ncp

Sorry to thread hijack but here it goes. I'll see how quickly I can list the good and the bad:

Good:
-Aluminum trailer at ~$2,000 less that everyplace else that I called.
-They warranted two of my four gripes (and those two were the most expensive of list)

Bad:
-Didn't fix the simple/cheap items
-The sales manager kept using the excuse: "well, I gave you a good deal on it, I can't do anything more"

1. Winch post wasn't mounted straight to the trailer frame. After some discussion on timing, they agreed to put a new post on of a newer design.
GOOD
(picture was taking right when I got the trailer home before jockey wheel stopped working)

2. The winch post offset cause the winch strap to rub/fray. I was told "we can't warrant a strap". Even though the fraying was due to it pulling at an angle and rubbing the reel they said they couldn't warrant or replace a $12.99 part (Trailer Winch Strap w/Hook 2"W x 15' #WS20 0700).
BAD - You'd think that they would make the customer happy for that price

3. They didn't weld or bolt on any loops/hook locations for transom tie down straps.
GOOD - They welded an two islets on back for tie down straps.

4. Jockey wheel rusted out (within a month) and the u-frame the holds the wheel bent so that the wheel doesn't actually turn. Again, they told me that they can't warrant something that they don't make (Fulton - FULTON 1500lb. cap. Swing Away Trailer Tongue Jack #XP15-0101). When I launch, the wheel doesn't get wet/I rinse it when I get home, etc. As for the bending, they told me that with a trailer that heavy you can't just push the jockey wheel around. I countered with "A wheel set-up like that (i.e. offset from post) is meant to be pushed and it will turn to follow whatever direction it needs to go. I suggested that they use a stronger more durable if this jockey wheel isn't rated to be pushed around (I'll take a pic later in the week when I'm home)
BAD - Wouldn't replace or deal with Fulton for a new one

Now, as I write this all down, it sounds rather petty over <$100 in parts. But, at the time, after driving two hours to Chino to pick up the boat, the fact that they didn't want to make my 6 month old trailer perfect and it was only <$100 in parts, really pissed me off. Both the sales manager (Mike) and owner (Roger) flat out denied that they could do any more to help me. I also got fired up because this was going on at the same time: Buyer Beware Pacific Trailer: - BD Outdoors

Good trailers, but there are plenty of other options:
Welded Aluminum Boat Trailers - West Coast Trailers
Home
ExtremeTrailers.com - Home Page
San Diego Fe Trailers - Custom Trailers - Galvanized Trailers - Fe Trailers (Navy RIB http://www.fetrailers.com/gallery/fe...andiego028.jpg)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winch post.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	76858   Click image for larger version

Name:	winch strap.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	76859  
Old 20 February 2013, 21:12   #12

Town: Mike Nelsons Home Town
Boat name: FF CUP
Make: Northport
Engine: Inboard
NCP, that would piss a person, for criss sakes give you a winch strap! I bought a trailer last year and had it built by Alex at ABTrailers.com outside of San Bernadino. At the time Pacific quoted me $12500 for a 3 axle aluminum to haul my 26' Radon. I ended up going with Alex who built my trailer for $8500. He builds a nice trailer. Things weren't perfect but he took care of the problems. What worked well for me dealing with Alex was he knew the specifics of the various vintage's of Radons and had good measurements to build from. I had to make some very minor adjustments to the bunks to make it just my way but he was pretty spot on. I had two problems, one was the winch post wasn't really the right set up for the bow of my boat and the Quality Control with the LED lights he used was crappy. To Alex's credit he worked with me to redesign the winch post, he fab'ed it up and sent it to me no charge asking only I send the other winch post back. The LED lights were made by Innovative Lighting Concepts- within a year several of the lights failed due to flooding, Alex got them to ship me replacements however lights continued to fail after the year warranty. As a matter of fact every light has now failed except one clearance light. Innovative Lighting does not return my calls or emails so I can't recommend them.

Good luck on picking up a new trailer, I'm really happy.

RIB content; I bought a surplus 733 from Uncle Sugar and hauled it on my Radon trailer.

Tim
Old 21 February 2013, 00:07   #13
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmox View Post

My 26' Radon.

RIB content; I bought a surplus 733 from Uncle Sugar and hauled it on my Radon trailer.

Tim
You have my dream set-up for two boats. Even though I can overnight on the Willard, a nice v-berth would be awesome!

Also, someone suggested going to AZ because they don't have the CA sunshine tax:
Custom Aluminum Boat Trailers - Kokopelli Trailers
Custom Built Aluminum Trailers, Made In Arizona, TrailerWorx, LLC (http://www.trailerworx.com/gallery/C...ler_Ladder.jpg)
Old 21 February 2013, 14:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmox View Post
and the Quality Control with the LED lights he used was crappy.
Not surprising. I've yet to find a reliable LED trailer light. The ones I have on now have been on about a year; I'd call them "getting close to acceptable".

I gave up on Innovative a while back; had the same flooding problem, plus, when they don't flood, they fail.

The current set are whatever brand West Marine sells; They do have a habit of dropping individual LED groups as they age, but these particular ones are surviving better. I usually keep a spare set to swap out failing fixtures (though I think I'm down to a single fixture.)

As an aside, I usually pack the wire ingress area with caulk, and go over every welded seam with silicone caulk to try and fillin any gaps. Don't know if it really helps (and I know it doesn't with the dropped LED groups.)

jky
jky
Old 03 March 2013, 02:34   #15

Town: Los Angeles
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
thanks! I'll take a look. What specs did you give them? How much does your boat weight?

Jason
I just told him it was a Willard with an inboard diesel weighing 5000lb. In reality it should weigh 4300 but whatever. I told him I only wanted 300lb on the tongue and that I wanted the transom over the aluminum rail and not hanging in space on bunks. it made the trailer a bit longer but after adjusting bunks it fits great and the tongue weight is perfect. Anyway I got a Double axle 10,000gvw trailer delivered for a very attractive price - quite a bit less than what you can buy one for locally. Email me re shipping if serious.

Pacific may be ok but when I called them they wanted me to drag my boat all the way out there to chino or wherever before even telling me what they had that might work. Thanks but no thanks.
Old 12 April 2013, 22:23   #16
ncp

Quote:
Not surprising. I've yet to find a reliable LED trailer light. The ones I have on now have been on about a year; I'd call them "getting close to acceptable".
And my brand new (13 1/2 month old) aluminum trailer from Pacific Trailers is now missing a brake light and turn signal on the left side.....

Do you want to say "I told you so?"

I looked for an oval at West Marine (online) but didn't see anything. Pacific has them for $16.95 + $5.99 shipping. I need to trailer to LA next weekend so I don't want to pull that far with out one.
Old 13 April 2013, 06:54   #17

Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
There's no such thing as a reliable trailer light, LED's are just as bad as incandescent...I have 8 boats on trailers and it seems that I'm always replacing electrical components on the trailers.

The next boat trailer that I have built is going to have brackets for the lights instead of hard-mounting the lights and the wiring will be kept in a bundle and zip tied to the frame, that way, when the LED's go out, it will be a simple chore to snip the zip ties, snap off the lights and put on a new set...
Old 15 April 2013, 03:29   #18
ncp

Not to derail Jason's trailer thread and turn it in into my LED issue thread but...

Attached is a picture Pacific Trailers factory wiring pulled out from behind my left tail light. (14 month old trailer!)

Looks like standard Ancor heat shrink butt connectors. But, when you stick two wires into one connector, you'd think a little extra adhesive heat shrink would have been in order here. Ummm, they have to know these connections will be getting wet constantly when putting in and retrieving the boat! Also, note burn on the white wire!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130414_202820.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	78744