Old 22 April 2005, 08:41   #1

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Mollie J
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115HP Suzuki
MMSI: 235021476
Working from home ...

I want to do some passage planning on my Navman 5500 at home (I always remove it from Mollie J when I'm off the water anyway), but I can't work out how best to power it.

Does any know of a mains adapter which terminates in a Navman compatible connector? I couldn't find one on their website. Or should I look for a Navman connector with a "cigarette lighter style 12V plug on the end (I have a mains plug that I could fit this into)?

Advice appreciated.
Russell
Old 27 April 2005, 09:56   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Maplins do a lot of different connectors for transformers which might work (I'm not famialir with the Garmin type). Alternativly you could get a 12v lighter style cable from Garmin, and wire it up to a 12v transformer. There's even one that has a 12v socket in it.
Old 27 April 2005, 11:59   #3

A possible solution

Hi Tim, thanks for the feedback.

My current plan is to get a proper Navman cable through Seamark Nunn. I'll wire that to a 12v cigarette lighter style plug (male). You're right, you can get a 13amp 240v transformer to 12v terminating in a cigarette lighter style socket (female) from a number of sources including Maplin.

Plug the male into the female and watch the sparks fly! {Well hopefully not!}

I've got the various bits on order. When they arrive I'll take a few pics. & post an update. Estimated project cost £50.

The female socket has a second intended purpose to justify the cost which is to charge up the cool box overnight before a trip. Need to keep the beers cold!

Russell
Old 02 May 2005, 10:24   #4

Solved

Confined to barracks as I am for a couple of weeks (I won't bore you with the details) I've had time to sort this out (see picture).

I needed a second Navman power lead (£17.65), plus the rectifier (£19.14) and a male cigarette lighter style twin pole plug (£2.90) plus VAT gives a project cost of £46.63.

Connect it all together and I can sit in the garden with my charts & the plotter and plan my escape when the time is right. Well at least it's easier than doing it on the water and I can daydream at the same time. I can also use the rectifier to chill the cool box overnight before a trip.

Russell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Navman.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	11586