Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Do you intend to rig a nav light post or install an A frame and lighting?

When I rigged out my rib I ran the cables from the control box down some flexi conduit tubing. (old washing machine waste pipe) it makes the job a little more tidy IMHO.
I'm fitting a 48" US Perko LED stern light pole (all-round white light) in the Autumn. The wiring goes in the underdeck trunking (same as all the other cables and control gear), so out of sight. I'll connect it to a toggle-switch on the console via a BlueSea fuse box.
Old 22 June 2011, 07:05   #42
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
The wiring goes in the underdeck trunking (same as all the other cables and control gear), so out of sight. I'll connect it to a toggle-switch on the console via a BlueSea fuse box.
I mean the wires and control cables directly below your throtle/control box before they enter your console. A piece of flexi tube conduit as in the picture I posted will tidy em up.
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 20:52   #43

Town: Aberdeenshire
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
I mean the wires and control cables directly below your throtle/control box before they enter your console. A piece of flexi tube conduit as in the picture I posted will tidy em up.
I see, sorry. Thanks for the tip. It will have to stay as it is for the time-being. It was tight to haul the cables through the rubber grommet until I lubed it up!
Old 27 June 2011, 14:36   #44

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow2gran View Post
Spartacus

Your rig looks great!

I had it confirmed by the chaps at Tohatsu that no components are required but a mod to the top carb (exactly what I don't know as yet) and adjustment of the throttle linkages is all that is required to up the motor from a 60hp to a 70hp.

I hope the sea trials go OK. I would be interested to see how you get on since I have a similar size boat and almost the same engine.

p2g
Had the sea trial at Cruden Bay yesterday. Weather wasn't great. Was meant to be F2-3 with slight sea. The reality was F4-5 with wave height about a 1m and steady rain. However we did do a few runs near the beach before recovering the boat so we could open the throttle right up.

Recorded 36mph with hand-held GPS. That was with 2 people on board, 50 litres of fuel, auxilliary engine, etc. That's with a standard 15" aluminium prop. It topped out at around 5,800 revs (throttle limit removed to allow it to fully open). The trim was the mid-way point. We'd really have needed a better day to experiment more Pleased with the result. Boat felt very safe. Slight disaster with our digital cameras which received a dunk in the bilge at the back of the boat after one of the rucksacks ended up on the deck. Remind me to get a dry bag as a matter of course.
Old 27 June 2011, 17:31   #45

Town: Poole
Boat name: Derisher
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 25 HP 2 strok
Quote:
Had the sea trial at Cruden Bay yesterday. Weather wasn't great. Was meant to be F2-3 with slight sea. The reality was F4-5 with wave height about a 1m and steady rain. However we did do a few runs near the beach before recovering the boat so we could open the throttle right up.

Recorded 36mph with hand-held GPS. That was with 2 people on board, 50 litres of fuel, auxilliary engine, etc. That's with a standard 15" aluminium prop. It topped out at around 5,800 revs (throttle limit removed to allow it to fully open). The trim was the mid-way point. We'd really have needed a better day to experiment more Pleased with the result. Boat felt very safe. Slight disaster with our digital cameras which received a dunk in the bilge at the back of the boat after one of the rucksacks ended up on the deck. Remind me to get a dry bag as a matter of course.
Alternatively do as I have just done and get a Panasonic Lumix DMC FT", it is waterproof to 10 metres and even does HD video. I haven't had it long but so far am really impressed.
Old 27 June 2011, 17:57   #46

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Sorry to hear about the camera which is a shame when you appear to have a great day.

It is always a good feeling going out for the first time after ll the effort you have put in.

I managed 31kn yesterday with a following wind. I think that the motor is the too low on the boat at the moment which is giving excessive spray which in turn must be causing drag. As you know after giving it a good blast had a problem with the motor not running smoothly.

p2g
Old 27 June 2011, 18:43   #47

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow2gran View Post
Sorry to hear about the camera which is a shame when you appear to have a great day.

It is always a good feeling going out for the first time after ll the effort you have put in.

I managed 31kn yesterday with a following wind. I think that the motor is the too low on the boat at the moment which is giving excessive spray which in turn must be causing drag. As you know after giving it a good blast had a problem with the motor not running smoothly.

p2g
That's not the worst of it. The oil pressure sensor came on (on the car) about 20 minutes into the journey. Stopped, checked levels - everything fine. It was intermittent, so I took a chance thinking it was just a sensor - as I service the car myself. Came on again at Balmedie on the way back and I stopped at my brother's house there. Called the AA. 2 hours later and several 'apology' calls from them and I was still waiting. In the end I decided to make a run for home. The car is a quattro, so it can't be towed (would need a flat-bed), plus I'm not sure they would recover the boat - as I'm on a bog-standard policy with them. Car now booked in for Friday, so they can pressure test it. Frankly my heart can't take any more!
Old 27 June 2011, 23:03   #48

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Recorded 36mph with hand-held GPS. That was with 2 people on board, 50 litres of fuel, auxilliary engine, etc. That's with a standard 15" aluminium prop. It topped out at around 5,800 revs (throttle limit removed to allow it to fully open).
My Twatsoo 60/70 used to scream its bollox off with a 15" pitch prop on my SR4.7 when loaded similarly to yours. I fitted a 17" pitch prop and it was fine: around 34kt at full pelt, 5900-ish rpm.
Old 28 June 2011, 21:33   #49

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
My Twatsoo 60/70 used to scream its bollox off with a 15" pitch prop on my SR4.7 when loaded similarly to yours. I fitted a 17" pitch prop and it was fine: around 34kt at full pelt, 5900-ish rpm.
I may try and borrow a 17" propeller to trial, before buying. Extreme Marine were selling Solas stainless steel ones a few months back. Very nice. More details here: Products

Alternatively there's a performance aluminium Hustler: New Turning Point propeller for Tohatsu Nissan Engine 17 pitch - £104.29 : Extreme Marine

It's all cash though... and I've used my brownie points for 2011 already!