Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Which iphone for RIB apps?

Hello

While I like my Blackberry for work emails, the lack of Marine / RIB related apps is making me look at an iphone, now that I've an upgrade on offer from Vodafone.

As ever as a good Yorkshireman I'd always prefer to pay the least, which in this case would be for an iphone 4s 8GB.

I was wanting to check your thoughts on that and if it really was worth paying extra for the newer versions, such as the 5c 16GB or the 5s 16GB.

Clearly there's more memory, but do the series 5 phones do more for me as a RIBer than the 4.

Also, as I'm wanting this to act as a backup gps/chart plotter (to my Garmin and paper charts) I wondered what app/charts people recommended for that on an iphone?

Also waterproof case recommendations welcome too

Any other non-boating related comments on the iphone choice valued as well.

Many thanks for your help

Best wishes
Steve
Old 24 February 2014, 07:15   #2

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I like iSailor and Navionics as iOS charting apps
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 07:16   #3

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
I have the Navionics App on an iPhone 4. It's a £30 App but its a good back up should the boat/plotter suffer electrical problems.

I also installed the Viewranger App which is basically an OS map of Scotland. Handy if you just want to pinpoint the nearest village/settlement.

I installed a 12v socket on the console for charging phone, these Apps are power hungry.

Don't forget your Ottherbox waterproof cover.
Old 24 February 2014, 09:00   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Agree with the Navionics but prefer the Overboards for iphone/ipad and shoulder bags. Totally waterproof, easy to use and inexpensive.

Waterproof Bag – Waterproof Case – Waterproof Bags – Dry Bag | OverBoard

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 12:44   #5

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copinsay View Post
Hello
I was wanting to check your thoughts on that and if it really was worth paying extra for the newer versions, such as the 5c 16GB or the 5s 16GB.
Steve
As a backup the iPhone is fine so long has you get a decent waterproof case thro which you can still use & clearly see the touchscreen - I have a Lifeproof one - available much cheaper on eBay than elsewhere - which seems pretty good.

I think 8gb is marginal memory and really if you are going to use the iPhone seriously especially with that sort of app ( & others) you need 32gb.

The big advantage of the 5, 5s & 5c over the 4 is the increased screen size especially for mapping/charting apps. All 4 & 5 iPhones can run the latest IOS (at present)

Again just be aware that the gps/location function only really works satisfactorily when you also have wifi coverage. Fine for coastal but iffy mid channel.
Old 24 February 2014, 14:00   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
I have a Lifeproof one - available much cheaper on eBay than elsewhere - which seems pretty good.
These will almost certainly be counterfeit. Whilst they may be quite convincing copies I wouldn't trust one to protect my phone in extreme conditions.
Old 24 February 2014, 14:05   #7
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Again just be aware that the gps/location function only really works satisfactorily when you also have wifi coverage. Fine for coastal but iffy mid channel.
Hello longjohn - many thanks for this... can I check do you mean wifi or a mobile phone data signal, as if the former there's no chance here, whereas while patchy, we do at least get slow GRPS mobile data.

Many thanks

Steve
Old 24 February 2014, 14:10   #8
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
I have the Navionics App on an iPhone 4. It's a £30 App but its a good back up should the boat/plotter suffer electrical problems.
Thanks for this Alan - are the charts loaded onto the iphone and stored locally, rather than needing to be downloaded all the time?

Good idea re the 12v socket too - thanks

(Also will ask you about Ribbing on Loch Shiel - any info about accessing the slip at Acharacle please or Dalelia? - happy to pm / email /speak if easier).

Many thanks

Steve
Old 24 February 2014, 14:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
These will almost certainly be counterfeit. Whilst they may be quite convincing copies I wouldn't trust one to protect my phone in extreme conditions.
Admittedly only cost a tenner so may or may not be counterfeit - certainly looks exactly like the real deal, was packaged as such and is of good quality

I have tested it fully immersed in water (without the phone at first!) and it didn't show any leaks - but all I really need it to be is splash proof and wet hands proof which a naked iPhone certainly isn't (been there got the T-shirt). So as far as i'm concerned does the job required.
Old 24 February 2014, 15:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copinsay View Post
Hello longjohn - many thanks for this... can I check do you mean wifi or a mobile phone data signal, as if the former there's no chance here, whereas while patchy, we do at least get slow GRPS mobile data.

Many thanks
Steve
The iPhone does have a real GPS receiver but in reality uses assisted GPS (AGPS) utilsing the GSM/3G & wifi networks to provide a quicker positional fix - so it does know exactly where you are (even without the assisted bit - just taking longer to find out). However it is entirely dependant on the internet for map tile data and therefore cannot show your position on a map without this connection - so it knows where you are but just can't put it on a map. This is certainly true for the built in mapping apps & Google maps - not sure if any of the navigational apps get round this by having a built in positional & map database or something....??
Old 24 February 2014, 15:55   #11

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
With Navionics and iSailor the charts are loaded directly onto the device for the areas you are interested in.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 17:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
With Navionics and iSailor the charts are loaded directly onto the device for the areas you are interested in.
Therefore likely to need more memory than a 8gb iPhone 4/4s if any detail of maps are stored
Old 01 March 2014, 16:33   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

Therefore likely to need more memory than a 8gb iPhone 4/4s if any detail of maps are stored
I thought the smallest gb capacity of an iPhone 4/4s was 16gb. I didn't know they did an 8gb, ours are 16gb & I wouldn't want anything smaller. The Navionics app is very good & a bargain.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2014, 16:47   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Longjohn. Your posts regarding use of iPhones for navigation are a little confusing to me.

The more recent iPhones have autonomous GPS ability. Navionics charts take up surprisingly little space on the device (Navionics ship FULL UK/Ireland charts for plotters on cards of well under a meg.) The chart function will work perfectly without any mobile signal (or wifi signal) so long as the GPS chip is enabled. Like any GPS, it may take a minute or so to lock on but will function fine thereafter.
Old 01 March 2014, 18:13   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
The 4S is quite old tech these days. It will still work but you may find some of the more intensive apps (mapping would be an example!) a bit sluggish - especially with iOS 7 installed. Personally for "at sea" use I'd be looking at one of the waterproof/resistant options without needing a case. e.g. Sony Experian range. One day you won't put the iPhone in the case (perhaps because you were just popping back to the boat to move it on the pontoon or bail some rain out etc - that will be the time it goes for a swim!). Probably in the same cost ball park as the 4S and will run Navionics etc.
Old 01 March 2014, 19:17   #16

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The chart function will work perfectly without any mobile signal (or wifi signal) so long as the GPS chip is enabled. Like any GPS, it may take a minute or so to lock on but will function fine thereafter.
So for the technically challenged, how do I enable the GPS chip in my iPhone 4S?

....or is it permanently enabled?
Old 01 March 2014, 20:13   #17

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Go to 'settings' then 'privacy' then 'location services' it's probably on by default but you can choose which apps have access, fewer apps using it extends battery life.
Old 03 March 2014, 18:50   #18

Town: Essex
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: 30hp
go android and get mx mariner. awesome on my galaxy s2 and tab 3 tablet. only about 7 quid ish for over half uk and the map is downloaded so no need to be in reception. took me a lot of searching to find it! enjoy
Old 03 March 2014, 20:23   #19

Make: Valiant 520
Engine: Mariner 80 EFI
I have a samsung galaxy note 3, android os. I have the Memory Map App loaded which is free. You can get the uk and ireland charts for 25 quid. All 850 of them. You also get the pc software which is handy for setting out routes and waypoints etc. Which u can download onto phone.

App works fine, though it has crashed an odd time.

Dont buy the mmap gps unit its very poor and locks up. I will sell you mine.
Old 03 March 2014, 20:41   #20

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow Buoy View Post
Go to 'settings' then 'privacy' then 'location services' it's probably on by default but you can choose which apps have access, fewer apps using it extends battery life.
Much appreciated, thank you.

You're right, every app was authorised to access it but now organised to optiimise battery life. Cheers

Tags
rib