Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Electrics and electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 21 August 2017, 20:36   #21

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
A second vhf antenna is cheaper than a splitter and adds redundancy rather than another item to fail in the system.

The day you feel the AIS info is relevant is likely to be the day you also want a reliable vhf.
The splitter has the potential to fail 2 items at one time. Just my pessimistic opinion.
Old 21 August 2017, 21:03   #22
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dials View Post
The splitter has the potential to fail 2 items at one time. Just my pessimistic opinion.
Yup - big fan of the redundant systems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennae.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	121513  
Old 24 August 2017, 18:11   #23

Town: Lohja
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 90
We have connected loads of Simrad RS35, B&G V50 and Lowrance Link-8 VHF/AIS combinations and they work perfect either NMEA0183 or NMEA2000.

Also Raymarine Ray70 is really good option. Gives you additional GPS in case you have, for example, chartplotter failure. Also the DSC works without seperate GPS device.
Old 12 December 2017, 21:36   #24

Length: 6m +
Have you guys seen the new Icom M605? I think that's the best VHF marine radio out there. I love the compact design, yet it has pretty much every feature out there. It is expensive though....... So I think I am gonna for the Standard Horizon GX2200, which is still a pretty well made fixed mount VHF radio.
Old 13 December 2017, 00:22   #25
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiol83 View Post
Have you guys seen the new Icom M605? I think that's the best VHF marine radio out there. I love the compact design, yet it has pretty much every feature out there. It is expensive though....... So I think I am gonna for the Standard Horizon GX2200, which is still a pretty well made fixed mount VHF radio.
I'm thinking GX2200 for my next VHF. It only outputs NMEA0183 though which can be a pain. (I did have the 2150 on my last boat and hooking it up wasn't that bad though)

Does anyone know if you have the NMEA0183 signal going into a networked MFD/chartplotter, that the 2nd (or 3rd) MFD/chartplotter will be able to see AIS targets also?
Old 13 December 2017, 06:33   #26

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
look at the m506 instead its quite a good spec as well but not as expensive as the 605
Old 13 December 2017, 13:40   #27

That's a bit spooky, just as I ordered my new radio last night, this thread came active again!
Anyway, I went for the SH2200 on the basis that it has it's own gps so if chart plotter dies it won't be limited, also cheaper.
Icom 605 looks v nice but too expensive.
Nmea 0183, well if every other idiot can sort it out.....

WillK, I'm hoping the audio quality was improved by your speaker mic, which the SH also has.

Will report when in use (I'll give out if unhappy and forget about it if it's good)
Old 13 December 2017, 14:50   #28

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
FYI, Standard Horizon GX6500 has ACTIVE AIS (receive AND transmit) fully integrated.

GX2200 is receive only.

I run the GX2100...great bit o' kit.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 16:46   #29
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
look at the m506 instead its quite a good spec as well but not as expensive as the 605
The Icom M506 with AIS is US$200 more than the Standard Horizon GX2200

Is it worth that premium?
Old 13 December 2017, 18:01   #30

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Personally, if I was dipping my toe in the AIS pond, I'd go the whole hog & fit a transponder. Can't see the point in doing half a job.
Imho naturally
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 18:23   #31
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Personally, if I was dipping my toe in the AIS pond, I'd go the whole hog & fit a transponder. Can't see the point in doing half a job.
Imho naturally
Where i live we're crossing a shipping channel every time we head offshore I only want to see "them". Even if they could see me (as in, I was broadcasting an AIS signal), they wouldn't stop or try to avoid me!!!

"them" = large container ships
Old 13 December 2017, 18:30   #32

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Where i live we're crossing a shipping channel every time we head offshore I only want to see "them". Even if they could see me (as in, I was broadcasting an AIS signal), they wouldn't stop or try to avoid me!!!

"them" = large container ships

Surely in those circumstances, anything that makes you more visible to "them" can only be a good thing.[emoji848]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 13 December 2017, 19:52   #33

Quote:
Personally, if I was dipping my toe in the AIS pond, I'd go the whole hog & fit a transponder.
You're probably right, but for an extra £100 I can have AIS receive instead of just a new vhf (with speaker mic- ICOM 423G- my obsession). So cheap first dip into AIS, I can't put in ais receive box + own antenna etc for £100.
If I like it I'll do a full install.

Is the ICOM better? Possibly, but nobody unhappy with their SH.

Time to buy some fresh jigsaw blades......
Old 14 December 2017, 12:06   #34

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I very much doubt if your on the move at planing speed that being able to be seen on ais by a large ship is of much benefit.
My thoughts are if they see you at 15-20 kts they won't take evasive action as they will expect you will be well clear before they get close and will hold course.
If they see you close enough to be in danger due to sudden engine failure etc it's probably too late for them to take any evasive action. Maybe different if you fish regularly but then shouldn't be in a shipping lane.
Personally I think if your concerned you won't see or be seen by a large vessel because of poor visibility then you should be thinking of radar
Old 14 December 2017, 12:17   #35

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I very much doubt if your on the move at planing speed that being able to be seen on ais by a large ship is of much benefit.
My thoughts are if they see you at 15-20 kts they won't take evasive action as they will expect you will be well clear before they get close and will hold course.
If they see you close enough to be in danger due to sudden engine failure etc it's probably too late for them to take any evasive action. Maybe different if you fish regularly but then shouldn't be in a shipping lane.
Personally I think if your concerned you won't see or be seen by a large vessel because of poor visibility then you should be thinking of radar

One of the main benefits for me of having a transponder, is being able to see where your (similarly equipped) wing man is on the chart.
Old 14 December 2017, 12:31   #36

That makes sense and ads convenience to your specific boating but as far as a general safety tool is concerned I think it's benefits for a fast boat are limited. Probably more practical uses for it on a slow displacement boat where you have more time to consider other vessels courses and less ability to get out of the way.
Old 14 December 2017, 12:40   #37

RIBase
Quote:
That makes sense and ads convenience to your specific boating but as far as a general safety tool is concerned I think it's benefits for a fast boat are limited. Probably more practical uses for it on a slow displacement boat where you have more time to consider other vessels courses and less ability to get out of the way.

It's also another layer of (perceived?) security when we are diving & have divers in the water. At the end of the day it's a "nice to have" if funds stretch to it. I like it & it's another gadget to play with[emoji6]
Old 14 December 2017, 13:27   #38

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Engine: None
We have gone whole hog and got it all integrated,

Was very happy when it pinged up on marinetraffic.com.

We want to see and be seen as if we are going somewhere very fast in a SAR scenario any assistance by other vessels to get out of the way is really appreciated.
Old 14 December 2017, 14:00   #39

Quote:
It's also another layer of (perceived?) security when we are diving & have divers in the water. At the end of the day it's a "nice to have" if funds stretch to it. I like it & it's another gadget to play with[emoji6]
Probably not many gadgets you don't have to be fair ! but you also come from a time when all you (maybe) had for navigation and communication was a compass and a flashy light depth sounder and mk1 eyeball and managed to survive
The danger is over reliance on perceived "essential" safety kit
Which gives a false sense of security
Old 14 December 2017, 14:06   #40

RIBase
Quote:
Probably not many gadgets you don't have to be fair ! but you also come from a time when all you (maybe) had for navigation and communication was a compass and a flashy light depth sounder and mk1 eyeball and managed to survive
The danger is over reliance on perceived "essential" safety kit
Which gives a false sense of security

Depth flasher!! You were lucky. I can remember using transits to find wrecks off flambrough head & then dragging an anchor to snag the wreck. It's been turned into a video game these days[emoji849] my first GPS set cost £1600 and all it gave you was your position, you had to work out in your head which way to steer to hit the mark.