Old 01 January 2004, 17:46   #1

Town: West London
Boat name: Asp
Make: A BLACK Stealthly Metzeler
Length: 4m + really stealthy
Engine: Johnson 70hp VRO - not steathly at all!
VHF - Handheld or Console!

I'm looking to get a radio (VHF course organised for next month)
but am trying to decide between the 2 types - I'm not even going to mention DSC yet!

I have very limited space on board which favors the handheld but don't know what the range is like on the handhelds?

I'm only going to go a couple of miles offshore max & 90% within phone range!

Pete
Old 01 January 2004, 17:56   #2

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
In an ideal world then we should have both..a hand held waterproof in case you land in the drink. But if only one and given the limited range you travel i would say a good handheld.
Old 01 January 2004, 18:05   #3

Town: Nice
Boat name: Phantom
Make: Mako
Length: 5.5m
Engine: 115hp Petrol
I find my Garmen handheld has a typical range of 2-3 miles which is sufficient for most coastal trips. I used to find battery power a pain. Solved the problem by fitting a recharging unit inside the console.

As most RIBs have antenna mounted on A Frames you don't really gain a lot in terms of height of antenna with a fixed set. The difference is in power output. Most handhelds operate on 1 or 5 watts compared to 1 or 25 on a fixed set. The extra power gives you the range.

Phil
Old 01 January 2004, 18:46   #4

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi Pete

No contest

Console mounted every time !!.

Would only go for a hand held as a main VHF only in their is zero change of mounting a fixed console VHF.

On the difference between A frame mounted and hand held aerials. Totally diasgree, with Phil. A A frame aerial will give you maybe 3dBi gain, zero at very worst, and is clear of most items which will detune the antenna. A hand held helical will be at best -3dBI maybe -6dBi and very detuned by you body. Also unless you can keep it vertical sloping at 45 deg will loose you a further -6dBi.

To make things easy you may be better with 1W through a good a frame mounted than 5W trhrough a hand held helical.

I have held good converations on the main VHF when you cant even hear the signal with the squelch truned down on the handheld.

If at all possible go fixed console VHF.

Regards Gary
Old 01 January 2004, 20:13   #5

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Phone range

Forget about phone range as an option you cant talk to other vessels or aircraft or lifeboat with a phone in most cases, the system can go down , the cells for instance the phone could be out of credit etc etc, definately try to make space for a fixed set operating from the the boat power supply, the 25 watts will give you the range you need its safer gavin

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 January 2004, 20:32   #6

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
VHF

I agree with last comment. Lifeboat can pick your vhf signal up on their finder and locate you. Icom do a nice compact fixed unit which is waterproof and has a high volume built in speaker.It can even be mounted outside (not flush mounted)and still be waterproof.Hand helds can be easily left in the car or forgotten to charge and unless waterproof have to be in one of those bags.choice is yours. but i would go for fixed,with hand held as back up at a later date,if funds tight.
Hope that helps
Old 01 January 2004, 21:39   #7

Town: Fareham
Sat and passed my VHF short-range course last Monday at my local inshore lifeboat rescue station at Stokes bay, Gosport.

I picked up loads of useful info not just radio related and from a lifeboat rescue station perspective, so here goes.

1. By all means carry a mobile phone but a radio should be compulsory.

2. Handheld’s are useful but where will it be during an emergency! Under a seat, in a bag or just plain forgotten!

3. What do your crew do if you get tossed overboard? I personally like the ease that someone with little experience can operate the DSC system especially if it's connected to GPS! Get some really basic instructions down on a flip card or something just in case.

4. If you do decide to go miles off shore then you will need a fixed set with the higher power to give you the extra range.

Hope some of these things help you decide on which set to buy, I personally have my eye on the Silva S10DSC and at £200 is pretty competitively priced (next to Icom 401 which hasn't got DSC).

Andy

PS. Good luck with your course, and wait untill after the course till you buy, you might get some useful info from your instructor.
Old 04 January 2004, 23:24   #8

Thanks guys,

Well I've gone for a handheld ICOM.

There are 3 reasons for this - in order.

1. Cost - not much money left as just spent most of my funds at Christmas & also only just got this toy.

2. Space or lack of! - I do not want to fit this on the side of my console & as I may upgrade in 6 months I don't want to drill out a big space in it. Also nowhere yet to easily fit an antenna (no A Frame).

3. Waterproof - This I can fit around my neck on a leash or in a backpack (that I wear). As I normally wear a drysuit, I'm more concerned if I come out of the boat"!" so this will be on the checklist.

I do intend to get a console mounted VHF but this will suffice for my present needs.

Pete
Old 04 January 2004, 23:41   #9

Town: Fareham
Good for you Pete! Hope you pass your Exam with no probs.

Andy
Old 06 January 2004, 07:56   #10

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
backpack

Sorry to sound like a right smart alek but please be very careful about how much floatation that backpack gives if you wear it afloat. It is possible it could stop the automatic righting / or delay it on the lifejacket.

like I say don't want to seem smart but have seen one case down here last year where the backpack really caused probs for wearer when he went over, luckily his mate pulled him onto the boat.

have fun
Old 06 January 2004, 08:50   #11

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
What sort of back pack are you talking about ?........ I carry two dry bags on board my boat, one large one containes safety gear and spare clothes for me and any crew etc and i have a really small one which is just big enough for my wallet, phone, keys and handheld, this small dry bag gets clipped to the boat some where that i can get to easy and if i had to ditch the boat in the event of something happening i'd grab the small bag before bailing out, in an ideal world i'd carry my handheld on me, have a waterproof pocket for my wallet and keys and carry the phone in an aqua sack around my neck, but i hate having things clipped on or attached to me on a boat so i'll live with the risk.

Rat
Old 06 January 2004, 10:58   #12

It is only a small day pack that I use it on my motorbike. The reason I use this is I don't like things in the pockets of my Diving drysuit. It only weighs a couple of pound (loaded) & will contain radio & flares only.
This way if I end up overboard I still have the kit that I need to be rescued with me! This will only occur when Ribbing SOLO.

I do not 'as yet' have a lifejacket (only bought the Rib 4 weeks ago) but will probably get a preserver type than a jacket first anyway.

Before everyone says 'you must get a life jacket'
on most occasions I will be Diving!! & so will be in my Dive Kit (either as surface support or below)

Pete
Old 06 January 2004, 11:44   #13

Boat name: Seascaper
Make: Hurricane 640
Length: 6.7
Engine: Volvo Penta AD31DP
The batteries on Icom go flat very quickly so dont turn it on.
Old 06 January 2004, 11:50   #14

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
I also dont like having things shoved in pockets, hanging around my neck or clipped to me but instead carry them in a dry bag, however i'd not like the idea of a flare discharging its self in a bag flapping around on my back, could imagine it would leave a nasty hole.

Divers traditionally hate wearing life jackets or bouyancy aids when on boat and i dont expect that will ever change, everyone here will tell you to do this and that but only you will know what works for you, so you have to look at all the advise and find your own way with this one i expect.

best Wishes

Richard
Old 06 January 2004, 12:16   #15

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Icom's go flat

Greetings Lester

"The batteries on Icom go flat very quickly so dont turn it on "

What model are you using?
All of mine last all day as long as I don't go into motormouth mode
It could be that the cells are shot or there is a fault on the radio
Rgds
James
Old 06 January 2004, 16:46   #16

I've got the ICOM IC-M3Euro.

http://www.harwoods-yacht-chandlers.co.uk/radio_vhs.htm

This will be turned off!

Batteries will be charged the night before I go out on the water & a spare set of Duracells will stay in the console with the tool kit & First Aid kit.

The only time it will be turned on will be before I get the boat in the water (then turned off), testing purposes, or an emergency!
Hopefully that means it won't get used!

Pete
Old 07 January 2004, 08:18   #17

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Pete
I understand the view of keeping a spare battery pack charged for emergencies, but you are missing out on a lot of safety information by having it switched off.
The coasties reguarly give out weather and other safety information and the port opperations channels lets you in on shipping movements.
The biggest item is how will you know if there is an emergency nearby if your radio is off?
I can't remember if it was good practice to have a listerning watch on ch16 or a requirement - I'm sure some one will correct me on this.
James