Old 06 April 2011, 22:04   #1
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
vhf base station

i been given permission to from committee to set up a VHF base station , operating on m & m2

I know I need to to contact ofcom for site survey and licence etc.

Can anybody recommend a good base station? can a cheap VHF radio be deprogramed to have only 2 Channels or do I need to go down buying a Icom IC-f5022m.

I know I need to keep cable run short and comply with ofcom for height and Ariel type.

regards
Old 07 April 2011, 09:36   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Do you need to have it restricted or can you just put a sign on the radio saying operation only permitted on channel X and Y?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2011, 09:52   #3

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
From a technical perspective, a cheap marine VHF should be fine -whether it complies with Ofcom 'rules' might be a different question.

Standard Horizon and Icom can be programmed by the dealer to be limited to specific channels (the dealer may want to charge you for this) - I would imagine most / all other marine VHF makes would be the same. DSC functionality can also be turned off on the Standard Horizon radios, not sure about Icom.

I believe RNLI boathouse radios are standard Sailor 2048 radios with a restricted channel set.
Old 07 April 2011, 10:30   #4
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Do you need to have it restricted or can you just put a sign on the radio saying operation only permitted on channel X and Y?
it will be in the club lounge, can't take risk of somebody transmitting on 16 some rubbish at 25watt or jamming it on ! if I put 80 on it I been told that I will need to lock up, since you need operators certificate to use 80.

will check with dealers how much to de-programme set.. will check sailor too, I was hoping that standard V , could fo full solution since we need to buy a few handhelds as well and would like to keep it everything one brand
Old 07 April 2011, 18:47   #5

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
will check with dealers how much to de-programme set.. will check sailor too, I was hoping that standard V , could fo full solution since we need to buy a few handhelds as well and would like to keep it everything one brand
In my experience, you are probably looking at up to £20 per radio. If you shop around, you may find some places that will do it for you FOC, particularly if you are buying a few radios.