Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
That's insane advice, surely? If the guy's 15 miles out to sea, a hand-held tx is unlikely to raise the CG; only a 25w fixed set with a decent antenna will guarantee communication at that range. An EPIRB is fine as an additional safety measure but a reliable radio is more important in my book; you can't talk to the CG or other vessels and update them of your situation with a PLB.
I'm thinking i would definately prefer the radio option. Mainly so i can actually speak with humans and if i connect it up to the gps then at least it will transmit my location in an emergency. Having just checked my distances its around 13 miles out we go sometimes (knock john forts).
Old 04 August 2011, 22:19   #22

Town: Herne Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
an Ariel mount at 1metre will contact a shorebased station at 15 nautical miles.

Fixing a VHF is an option, but my comment is if he is always in group...you have safety in numbers...

A PLB is good if the when all goes wrong, a DSC Fix VHF radio is worth it weight in gold if GPS is fitted to it - Press the Red Button.

We communicate with 5 watt, radios from ranges along the coast greater than 15 miles to Forth Coastguard.

Power Does not govern the range of a VHF signal but is the height of Ariel.

I carry a handheld, a Fixed Radio and PLB on my 5.5 metre RIB, but i have A Frame.

Regards

S.
Thanks for your comments. The areial that Channel Ribs has quoted on is 1 metre and i'm not going to be going any further than 15 miles. I will certainly connect up to the gps and i'm sure thats an option on mine.

I only have a few cm's between my up and over garage door and outboard when i close the door hence why an a frame is not installed and i'm after an aerial that folds. Providing everyone thinks the fixed set is a worthwhile investment i'll go for it. Just didnt want to spend pennies, well actually pounds if i'm not going to get much improvement but from comments so far it seems i will.
Old 04 August 2011, 22:20   #23
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ

I don't think that's quite right. A squelch circuit in an FM receiver sets a threshold that a signal needs to exceed in order to unmute the audio. The reason why weak transmissions break up when the squelch is 'on' is that they will occasionally drop below the signal threshold and so become temporarily inaudible.
thanks - I always thought it cleaned up the signal like filter so it makes the wave form cleaner...too much you make the wave form too clean hence distort....

maybe both is right! just different ways if saying it.....
Old 04 August 2011, 22:57   #24
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by actions

Thanks for your comments. The areial that Channel Ribs has quoted on is 1 metre and i'm not going to be going any further than 15 miles. I will certainly connect up to the gps and i'm sure thats an option on mine.

I only have a few cm's between my up and over garage door and outboard when i close the door hence why an a frame is not installed and i'm after an aerial that folds. Providing everyone thinks the fixed set is a worthwhile investment i'll go for it. Just didnt want to spend pennies, well actually pounds if i'm not going to get much improvement but from comments so far it seems i will.
it's not the size of Ariel it is the height Ariel is mounted from the sea...what malthouse suggests is fine... the higher you mount the actual Ariel the better...

regards
Old 05 August 2011, 06:07   #25

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Crikey that was a lively thread over night!

Having a PLB and no fixed VHF seems a bit odd to me, upon recording a beacon's signal the first thing they will do is call on the radio and then on a phone number; neither any good if you are off shore. They will still send help of course.

Then there are all the times when you need help but it is not a Mayday, if you use a PLB then you are in for a scolding!

You can never guarantee getting through on a handheld, even close in shore.
Old 05 August 2011, 07:42   #26

Town: York
Boat name: Sugar Free
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yam 115
Quote:
thanks - I always thought it cleaned up the signal like filter so it makes the wave form cleaner...too much you make the wave form too clean hence distort....

maybe both is right! just different ways if saying it.....
No its not. Squelch has nothing to do with VHF signal processing. It measures the output of the audio amp. If the signal is below the level determined by the squelch knob then it cuts the audio output. The problem is when the wanted bit of the signal is bearly higher than the background noise level.

Also my understanding is that the squelch and volume controls do not affect the transmitted signal in any way. So if the CC is not hearing you then its not the squelch or volume its another problem.

Anyone going 15nm out from the coast should have a fixed VHF set AND a handheld in my mind.

Gary
Old 05 August 2011, 07:59   #27

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Just another bit of info/experience to throw into the melting pot. I have a fixed set on my rib and I have raised the CG 30 miles away with only using 1w transmit power. This I believe is down to the aerial being mounted on the A-frame, and the CG having very high aerials with good gain. I have also picked up the CG from a similar distance on my handheld, though I doubt they would receive me.

(whilst not aerial related, there is no need to quote the previous message every time you post. We've all read the thread and know what's been posted and it makes for far too much scrolling ) Oh, and we're talking about aerial's not washing powder (Ariel) . Bring back Louise
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2011, 08:29   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Just another bit of info/experience to throw into the melting pot. I have a fixed set on my rib and I have raised the CG 30 miles away with only using 1w transmit power. This I believe is down to the aerial being mounted on the A-frame, and the CG having very high aerials with good gain. I have also picked up the CG from a similar distance on my handheld, though I doubt they would receive me.

(whilst not aerial related, there is no need to quote the previous message every time you post. We've all read the thread and know what's been posted and it makes for far too much scrolling ) Oh, and we're talking about aerial's not washing powder (Ariel) . Bring back Louise

Ok, i will stop adding whats already been said too. ha ha.
Old 06 August 2011, 20:31   #29

Ok the results. I went out yesterday, adjusted the squelch accordingly and hey presto, got the coastguard, although the fixed set on the other rib was much clearer and picked up other conversions going on.

Also worked really well when the other rib shouted to say he had caught something round his prop.

Thanks for the info chaps.

Getting a fixed VHF too.
Old 15 August 2011, 18:08   #30

Update on my progress

Just waiting for the fixed VHF to arrive now.

Would have been handy today though. As we pulled out the harbour i was monitoring channel 16 and 8 as was out with two other ribs. Heard an "Excersice Pan Pan" for a MOB being completed by a training boat in the area. on 8.

About ten minutes later heard CG on 16 co-ordinating rescue for the pan pan MOB, but not an excercise. I clairified the boats name and it was one in the same. Used 16 to contact CG and informed them of it being possible excersice and they asked me to check on channel 8 with the boat and call them back on 67. Long story longer, the boat replied AIO and yes it was training. So went to 67. I could hear the CG calling me but they couldnt hear me replying. Therfore went to 16 and it was all confirmed as an excercise and the boat concenred was all in order and they confirmed they couldnt hear me on 67 but loud and clear on 16.

So why could the CG not hear me on 67 but they could on 16. Is 16 a stronger airwave if this is possible?
Old 15 August 2011, 18:30   #31
SPR

the correct call for MOB is mayday... this is what the RNLI tell us...if you manage to get person back inboard it can be downgraded or cancelled....MOB = press the RED button!

Scott
Old 15 August 2011, 18:34   #32

Quote:
the correct call for MOB is mayday... this is what the RNLI tell us...if you manage to get person back inboard it can be downgraded or cancelled....MOB = press the RED button!

Scott
Yep fully agree, as i say this was nothing to do with me, just another unknown boat completing training and using the pan pan situation, not sure if they changed to 16 by accident and didnt realise

Any thoughts on the 67 /// 16 channel issues.

Other sad news was a local chap lost his life last night after going overboard. Man dies after dinghy capsizes off coast of Herne Bay
Old 15 August 2011, 19:22   #33
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by actions View Post
So why could the CG not hear me on 67 but they could on 16. Is 16 a stronger airwave if this is possible?
The radio will automagically change to high power transmit when on channel 16 (because it is waiting for you to give a mayday) but will revert to low power on 67 because it is not the distress channel. When on 67 simply bump up the power setting by pressing the H/L button and voila...they will hear you
Old 15 August 2011, 19:42   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
simply bump up the power setting by pressing the H/L button and voila...they will hear you
I checked that i was on high power, but still nothing. My handheld has 1w and 5w. I always leave it on 5w. I made sure at the time it wasnt displaying "low", but no joy.
Old 02 September 2011, 21:01   #35

So, new fixed VHF set installed.

Out on the water today, called on 16 for a radio check, all i got back was crackling, tried again but no joy. So called on 16 using my handheld and i could hear the coastguard fine on that. (didnt want them to start a mayday)
We moved to channel 67 and the coastguard said they could hear me loud and clear so it must be a receiving fault my end.

Checked all connections, fine, checked squelch, fine, checked high power, fine.

called and received local boats with no issues.

Then decided to check the aerial, currently have a 45cm heliflex pacific one. Changed it to a 1m pro pacific (borrowing the other ribs one) and heard the coatguard fine on 67. They suggested a check on 16 and again heard them perfectly.

So my 45cm aerial just isn't man enough to pick up the coastguard, only local stuff.

1m pro aerial already on order.

Just thought i'd share my experience firstly in case anyone else has had similar problems and that Thames Coastguard were really helpful today.
Old 03 September 2011, 06:43   #36

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
Erin's right - please will everyone stop using the quote function? It is so majorly irritating. In fact could the mods please remove it even? Surely we can copy and paste if we need to quote someone no?

"Rant out"
Old 07 September 2011, 14:55   #37

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
just had time for a read, after scrolling thru the repeated quotes
On a radio course surely describing squelch as sensitivity is acceptable and then teaching that after turning the set on the squelch should ALWAYS be adjusted in order to check where it is set at and to check that you have some volume. To my mind not teaching that routine is negligent.

I have the emergency aerial on the rib on the side of the consol...main one is on the A frame. Range from the side of the consol is crap and not as good as the handhelds we carry which have the advantage that you can hold the set up in the air to gain aerial height. A plug in mic/speaker on a curly wire as supplied with CG icom handhelds makes this even easier. I am surprised at the difficulty folk seem to have contacting the coastguard. With their remote aerials I have never had a problem getting them with a handheld, either on a boat or as part of a rescue team.

To my mind broadcasting a pan pan on any channel for excercise purposes should result in someone's a**e being kicked hard! Crying wolf on the airwaves just devalues the system. Should never hear those words and be able to assume it might be an excercise
Old 07 September 2011, 16:45   #38

Length: under 3m
duplicate post
Old 07 September 2011, 16:50   #39

Hi tumnus,

I made sure i was on full power but it just didnt want to know. Could hear them, but they couldnt hear me.

I now a fixed VHF set and a small 45cm aerial wouldnt pick up Thames Coastguard. Switched to a 1m aerial and it was fine.

I wonder if its because we are on the edge of both Thames and Dover Coastguard area's in Herne Bay, they switch over at Reculver. We often hear both talking on 16.
Old 09 September 2011, 19:09   #40

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Ch16 is in the middle of the marine band...and I'm told is therefore the one to which the aerial length is calculated and therefore most sensitive.
Sits back and waits for the radio geeks to re-educate me. Cos I just use the things day in and day out I really don't need to know how it works...just that it does work