Old 03 June 2009, 12:42   #1

Boat name: Expresso
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard/petrol/100
VHF and GPS problem

I have just bought a used rib which has on the console a Navman 7100 VHF and Lowrance 335C GPS. When I switch on the VHF, a sound rather like a telephone ring tone emits from it, which increases in volume the longer you leave it! How do I cancel it?
The GPS does not have an SD card in it and when you switch that on it has a warning notice on the screen to advise not to rely totally on the GPS - how do I cancel this message?
Also, how do I know if the VHF and GPS are synchronised for DSC functioning?
Grateful for any info on this.
Old 03 June 2009, 13:29   #2
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Can't help much but you'll know if the DSC is working as it will give your position, time and date on the radio. This comes from the GPS.
Old 03 June 2009, 13:33   #3

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
The tone you are getting is because the radio is not getting the lat & long from the GPS. It is a warning tone, because without the postion information, the DSC function is worthless.

You can cancel by pressing the ESC button.

The above will answer your last question, they are not working together. As I dont have your GPS I cannot comment specifically, but would summise that without a card in it, it is not giving position information.
Old 03 June 2009, 14:15   #4

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
Have you tried (Google is your friend):

http://www.navmanmarine.net/upload/M...VHF_Screen.pdf

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Manuals/
Old 03 June 2009, 14:27   #5
RIBnet Supporter

I suspect that the NEMA cable from the GPS to the VHF is not connected properly. It may be worth mentioning that the GPS will need to be turned on before the VHF for a few minutes to get a "lock", or the VHF will chime to warn you about no GPS data after a few minutes. Irritating but harmless.

The positional data should appear on the LED screen of your VHF and match that on the GPS. Your VHF can also be set via it's menu to display Speed and Heading data from the GPS.

The GPS should supply your position data without the Chart card. The warning cannot be changed, it's there to get them off the hook in court if you pile into a rock!

Old 03 June 2009, 19:20   #6

Navman VHF & Lowrance GPS

Thanks folks for the tips. It's my first day on the Ribnet site and hope my problem has been solved. Will check it out at the weekend when I get home.

I did download the manuals, but the Navman was useless and the Lowrance manual is 192 pages filled with loads of legal Americanese gobbledegook.
Old 03 June 2009, 22:36   #7

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Flipper
Make: Riptide
Engine: Mercury 60 FourEFI
MMSI: 235063035
I have the Lowrance 339, on this you hit the exit button to get past the disclaimer warning. The unit wont try to get a GPS location until you get past the warning. It will give you an alert on the screen saying 'position acquired' after a few seconds, then you should see your position appear on your VHF.
If you dont want to hear the annoying noise, turn your GPS on and exit past the disclaimer before you turn on your VHF.
Old 07 June 2009, 11:18   #8

clearing warning on GPS

We tried this but did not work! Someone else has said that we need to perform a factory restore, so I will endaevour to find that in the online manual.
Old 07 June 2009, 15:12   #9

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Engine: 75hp
You'll probably have to get the radio back to a dealer or factory anyway, as the MMSI will need changing to match you licence.
Old 07 June 2009, 15:49   #10

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by havener View Post
You'll probably have to get the radio back to a dealer or factory anyway, as the MMSI will need changing to match you licence.
Sorry to pick you up on this Havener but your wrong on the MMSI bit.

What you do is go into the Ofcom website and register a change of ownership to the existing MMSI so that your details are recorded against it instead of the previous owner.

The MMSI is locked to the radio and should be handed from owner to owner.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2009, 16:31   #11
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Sorry to pick you up on this Havener but your wrong on the MMSI bit.

What you do is go into the Ofcom website and register a change of ownership to the existing MMSI so that your details are recorded against it instead of the previous owner.

The MMSI is locked to the radio and should be handed from owner to owner.

I always thought it was how Havener said but if your right it makes buying second hand boats with DSC radio's less of a head breaker.
Old 07 June 2009, 17:22   #12

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I always thought it was how Havener said but if your right it makes buying second hand boats with DSC radio's less of a head breaker.
The previous owner is supposed to "Park" the licence when he sells the boat then the new user just reactivates it with their details.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2009, 17:34   #13
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The previous owner is supposed to "Park" the licence when he sells the boat then the new user just reactivates it with their details.
Ah I see. Like I say I thought the MMSI number stayed with the person. So anyone buying a second hand boat would then have to get the radio to a dealer for it to be reset. Good stuff! Cheers Chris
Old 18 June 2009, 12:54   #14

MMSI Transfer

I have just gone through the exercise with Ofcom.

1. Original owner of vessel [person who has licence] accesses the licence online and `surrenders' the licence.
2. The original owner informs the new owner of the MMSI and the call sign.
3. New owner accesses the licence online, using the MMSI and call sign.
4. New owner registers their details against the original licence number, MMSI and call sign, as they are all issued for the vessel not the person.

You can do it using old fashioned paper and Royal Mail, but unless you are over 75 years old Ofcom will charge you £20 for the priviledge. Online it is free for life.

Once the info has been recorded by Ofcom, it is their responsibility to inform IUT of the change of ownership to go on MARS database!

I hope that is all clear. If not, Ofcom are quite helpful if you telephone them 020 7981 3131.
Old 18 June 2009, 13:31   #15
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ribman View Post
... but unless you are over 75 years old Ofcom will charge you £20 for the priviledge. ....
Well if my internet goes down I'll have to ask Rogue Wave to do it
Old 18 June 2009, 13:36   #16

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Solent Ribman - what was the outcome of the GPS - VHF problems ? I spent Tuesday 'fiddling' with mine as one of the kids has switched off/ changed the output from the GPS to the VHF . ( I have the same model VHF as you ) .

I admit for the first time I actually read the manual which was quite enlightening ! I went equipped with wire cutters etc to the boat & after reading the book for a few mins - all was fine ! L&L + course & speed now on the VHF display.

Simple when I bothered to read how it all works ! If the wire is connected it may be the output setting on the GPS that is not set up right. There is some kind of network that the NAVMAn systems work to that allows one to control the others ( lighting etc ) .
Old 18 June 2009, 19:51   #17

VHF set up

Blackroady - Nice to hear you have children that are fiddlers! My 14 year old son is very good technically and I have to get him to slow down to my speed! My problem is I work away and only get home at week-ends and then usually we are rushing around to get the kids sailing somewhere - so I haven't had the time yet to look at it in depth. I did look at the manual briefly and did not quite get to grips with it. I'll have another look at it. I think the VHF will be the simple bit. The GPS is probably going to challenge us technically. I have to say I like all equipment to work correctly and having something which is not currently working as it is intended I find terribly frustrating.