Old 12 July 2007, 13:47   #21

Town: Guildfrod
Boat name: Escalloper
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 75 outboard
Was looking at the options available when I recently bought a new GPS. It seems the problem may be solved if you move to the CD version which will allow you to unlock the region and copy to two blank datacards for the two units.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/m...uechartCD.jsp#

Take a look at the link above but basically it says:

"Your MapSource unlock code is valid for use with your own Garmin GPS unit. A separate unique unlock code is needed for each GPS unit. If you own more than one GPS unit or upgrade to a new GPS unit, you will need a separate code for each GPS unit. If you personally own two Garmin GPS units, you are allowed to obtain a second unlock code for the same region for your own personal use at no additional charge. Simply repeat the unlock process for the second unit. No more than two GPS units may be unlocked with the purchase of a single unlock code. A new unlock code must be purchased if you have already unlocked two GPS units."

I know you'd have to buy again in CD format but I guess you could sell the exisitng datacard here, on ebay or somewhere! Dunno why it seems to be OK to have two sets of data when it comes from a CD but not from a datacard but at least this way you'd be legal.

Just a thought.

NICK
Old 12 July 2007, 15:17   #22

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Okay, so I take it there's no chance of a cheap CD for my Garmin then ?
Oh, sure. The CD is cheap. The unlock codes, however, aren't.

jky
Old 12 July 2007, 17:05   #23

Yeah - about the same as a data card I think. The point is you can then put on 2 units and not pay twice - assuming the pre programmed data card can be sold on for not much less.

NICK
Old 13 July 2007, 12:20   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Oh, sure. The CD is cheap. The unlock codes, however, aren't.

jky
Apparently one bloke I once met actually had a CD that was totally unlocked so he had the charts for the whole world...................
Old 16 July 2007, 23:49   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Apparently one bloke I once met actually had a CD that was totally unlocked so he had the charts for the whole world...................
I bet if he could copy that he'd be a rich man. Have to live in South America or somewhere to avoid jail!
Old 23 July 2007, 11:52   #26

Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
The Garmin CD with all the unlock codes wouldn't do you any good. Trust me I have one.

You will be able the see the chart on you lap top, and you will also be able to burn all these card onto an empty datacard, but your GPS will not be able to read them...

The unlock code to the CD are matched with the serial number on your GPS. So the code that will unlock you CD, will not always work with your GPS.

But of course if anyone have a solution to this please let me know (Just for the science of it of course.)

And I don't think that you will be able to copy the garmin datacard either since both the card and the reader are both made by garmin. And the only way I have found to access the card is true the garmin software.

The reason I have tried this is that I have a "corrupted" datacard. I will not read or write the card. So I wanted to try and "format" it, but can't get it to work

Rene
Old 24 July 2007, 08:26   #27
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Engine: yanmar
It would be nice if you could copy the data to the GPS unit and remove the card. Some scumbag nicked my card from my Raymarine plotter on Wed night while it was at Drivers wharf. An easy £200 steal for 2 secs work. Guess I will have to remove it each time now - something else to forget to bring when I go boating! Anyone else suffered from this?
Old 26 May 2009, 16:50   #28

Town: Miami
Boat name: Seaswirl
Make: Seaswirl
Length: 10m +
Engine: 225 Johnson
Copying Raymarine CF Card

Do not use the Copy command, I use Ghost from Norton Systems Works 2006. It has a ghost version that can run from Windows and makes it much easier. Remember, you must copy it sector by sector including the boot sector and the unpartitioned space.

Before getting confused with the legal terms, you must know that the CF card is not just one thing, the CF card is a container and the charts are the software. What is copyrighted is not the CF card, well at least in this case you are not reproducing the CF card, you are copying the software inside of it from one to other CF card.

There is no law that prevents a user from making a backup copies of their software, music etc. For example: You buy a music CD and copy it to your iPod.

In my case, I dont want to sale or distribute the (Charts) software that is contained on the CF card. I am the legitime owner and I want to copy it to another CF card, in the case that one card is distroyed, I will be using the backup card. Actually, I want to make 2 backup cards, one for keeping in the boat and the other at home. If the card on the GPS is damaged or stolen, I can grab the one from the boat or home and keep on going.

Making a backup copy of the CF card may violates the license agreement,,,,,!So What? There is not any law that says that is a crime to Violate license agreements. If so, I want to know what is the number of that law, it is in the Florida Statutes? US Constitution?

May be it is but on my 20+ years as a computer programmer, I have never seen any law State, Federal, City Ordinance, NATO, OEA, UN etc that explicity prohibit to make a backup copy of any software, music, etc. Again, if there is such law I want to know all about it but until I see that, I will keep trying to backup my CF card.
Old 26 May 2009, 17:20   #29

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
The old versions of Norton Ghost are brilliant - they have totally ruined the new ones - not the same at all................

Never thought of using it on my data cards - thanks for the tip!!!
Old 27 May 2009, 11:48   #30

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker View Post
I have two plotters - the big Lowrance 7000C for route planning and for the Navigator, and a small 330C for depth and for heads up data to the helm.

I have only one chart chip. I have no objection to paying the £200 for that chip. But do I have to pay a second £200 for a second chip to go in the second plotter?

Can I simply copy the MMC card on my laptop onto a new blank 64K card?

What are the issues here - technically and legally.

Thanks

Bruce
Could you not network the display that has the card in to the other unit?
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 12:48   #31
RIBnet Supporter

So has "a friend of a friend" of any of us had any success making a backup copy using this method (Ghost)? I'd feel much happier knowing that my valuable data was secure
Old 29 May 2009, 22:03   #32

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
I thought that Navionics basically locked the charts to the MMC card? There is a hard coded unique ID on the card and whilst you can copy the card contents (via ghost or otherwise), my understanding is that the maps will not actually work unless they find the correct MMC card ID.

So if the original card fails, you're basically gubbed even if you have a backup.
Old 30 May 2009, 18:33   #33

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Okay, so I take it there's no chance of a cheap CD for my Garmin then ?
Pete, PM sent

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote