Old 26 May 2016, 20:08   #1

Town: Newhaven
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60 hp outboard
Transducer issue

This might be a question that simply displays my ignorance but I still need some help! I have a Lowrance Hdi Elite 7 with a transducer fitted to the transom. Everything is clear at low speed but the interference builds as the speed increases and anything over 15 mph it's just 'rain'. I can adjust the sensitivity but it shows very little at low speed if I tune it for high speed. My local chandlers who fitted it say that's just how it is. Is it the wrong transducer? Any advice please!
Old 26 May 2016, 21:14   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Walker View Post
This might be a question that simply displays my ignorance but I still need some help! I have a Lowrance Hdi Elite 7 with a transducer fitted to the transom. Everything is clear at low speed but the interference builds as the speed increases and anything over 15 mph it's just 'rain'. I can adjust the sensitivity but it shows very little at low speed if I tune it for high speed. My local chandlers who fitted it say that's just how it is. Is it the wrong transducer? Any advice please!

Most likely due to turbulence in the water passing under the face of the txr. It takes a lot of tweaking to get a solid trace at planing speeds, & to be fair you're probably getting as good as you'll get. Another cause of poor trace at speed is electrical noise, but my money is on water flow.

Sh1t happens
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 22:24   #3

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
It is most likely turbulence but 15 MPH is quite slow for it to cr@p out unless it's very deep.
There is normally a bit of adjustment (up...down....angle) that can be tried.
Another trick is to fill the gap between the transom and the leading edge of the transducer with silicon. I'm using a transom type transducer bonded to the inside of the hull (gives a false water temp reading) on a 15 year old Lowrance and I can get a clean trace to about 30 meters at 25kn, breaks up beyond that.
Old 26 May 2016, 22:28   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
If you could post a pic showing the transducer with a straight edge piece of anything along the hull pertuding by the side of the transducer.

I use my boats for fishing so having my transducer setup spot on is extremely important. I can clearly not only view bottom at 20+ knots in 60-80m of water but can also detect fish at these speeds using my Lowrance units.

You may just need to simply angle the transducer slightly tilting it forward.

Jon
Old 27 May 2016, 00:25   #5

Here you can see mine holds bottom even in quite deep water at speed

[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/JonDP/media/lowrance/shot10_zps49082bcc.png.html][/b

It will also show clear bottom in 700m+ using a standard Lowrance transducer

This is how my side scan performs

Old 30 May 2016, 17:24   #6

Town: Newhaven
Make: X-Pro Defender
Engine: 60 hp outboard
Thanks guys and Jonp. I will get a couple of photos done but my transducer looks just like the one on the left in the last picture (don't know what the one on the right is or does!?).
Old 30 May 2016, 21:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Walker View Post
Thanks guys and Jonp. I will get a couple of photos done but my transducer looks just like the one on the left in the last picture (don't know what the one on the right is or does!?).
The right one is structurescan, that the shipwreck image is from. The structure scan is now fixed directly to the hull on the keel directly infront of the outboard for better results.

Something to look for when out in your boat is get someone to drive the boat at high speed while you look over the back to see the least airated water coming from under the boat. This is where the transducer should be placed, there may even be something not quite setup right in the head unit. I'm not sure on the menu on your model but most have settings such as ping speed (the speed the pulse is sent from the unit) full auto should still get decent returns but by tweaking the unit in settings will get a whole lot more from the unit.

Jon