Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 July 2020, 05:07   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Amlwch
Boat name: Gibraltar 1
Make: Osprey Eagle
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 100hp outboar
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 42
Suzuki DT voltage regulator

Hi guys , my Suzuki DT 100 , 1996 era is occasionally charging at over 16volts , does anyone know if this voltage rectifier is a regulated rectifier or just a rectifier?
I have a spare so I can swap it but if the other is the same then Iíd rather fit something that keeps it below 15 volts .

Cheers , John
__________________

__________________
John hulme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 06:17   #2
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,777
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John hulme View Post
Hi guys , my Suzuki DT 100 , 1996 era is occasionally charging at over 16volts , does anyone know if this voltage rectifier is a regulated rectifier or just a rectifier?
I have a spare so I can swap it but if the other is the same then Iíd rather fit something that keeps it below 15 volts .

Cheers , John


Is it 16V across the battery or open cct? Does the voltage reduce as the battery charges or is it a constant 16V?
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 06:37   #3
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,425
I've just been through the genuine Suzuki workshop manual I have for DT150/200/225 including the EFI models.

Annoyingly, it at no point mentions the Reg/Rec output, it just mentions output from the individual charging coils pre the Reg/Rec.

16V does seem a little high to me if it's across the battery terminals. As you've suggested 14.5V-15V would sound more sensible.

Have you tested it with a multi-meter?
Or are you quoting a Voltmeter in your Dash?

Nasher.
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 08:49   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Amlwch
Boat name: Gibraltar 1
Make: Osprey Eagle
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 100hp outboar
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I've just been through the genuine Suzuki workshop manual I have for DT150/200/225 including the EFI models.

Annoyingly, it at no point mentions the Reg/Rec output, it just mentions output from the individual charging coils pre the Reg/Rec.

16V does seem a little high to me if it's across the battery terminals. As you've suggested 14.5V-15V would sound more sensible.

Have you tested it with a multi-meter?
Or are you quoting a Voltmeter in your Dash?

Nasher.


Its showing 16v on the digital display when running at the higher rev range , Iíll have to put a meter on it and take it out again , Iíve had battery acid in the battery box and not sure if itís come out due to wave jumping or if itís because itís over charging . I guess the quickest test is just swop the rectifiers over and see if the other one keeps the voltage output lower .
Thanks for your help guys
__________________
John hulme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 08:58   #5
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,425
John

In case you haven't found it yet, using the search function in this Forum has been a help to me in the past:

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...rd-parts-forum

Nasher.
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 09:36   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Amlwch
Boat name: Gibraltar 1
Make: Osprey Eagle
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 100hp outboar
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
John



In case you haven't found it yet, using the search function in this Forum has been a help to me in the past:



https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...rd-parts-forum



Nasher.


Cheers for the link
__________________
John hulme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 13:30   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dewlsh
Boat name: Gadget
Make: Osprey - Eagle 5.6m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DT100
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 23
If itís any help, mine produces between 13.5 and 14.5v across the battery at 5,000rpm.

Gadge
__________________
jncunliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 14:33   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Amlwch
Boat name: Gibraltar 1
Make: Osprey Eagle
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 100hp outboar
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jncunliffe View Post
If itís any help, mine produces between 13.5 and 14.5v across the battery at 5,000rpm.

Gadge


Sounds like mine is on its way out then , cheers for the info .
__________________
John hulme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 04:47   #9
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,903
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John hulme View Post
Sounds like mine is on its way out then , cheers for the info .
I'd check your battery terminals, voltage will spike if one's making intermittent bad contact.
Rec/reg units are simple, much the same as on 80s 2stroke bikes. They usually either work or fail. Intermittent is highly unusual.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
suzuki

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.