Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Electrics and electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08 December 2012, 23:14   #1

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Still looking for speedometer for my SIB

I need a GPS speedometer that is self-contained (internal batteries) and preferably no more than £100, but would spend more as I am losing the will to keep looking for one...

I installed an app on my phone (speedview pro) which does knots as well as mph and kph and at first it seemed fine, but the phone battery soon runs down with the display on continuously.

Also the app keeps freezing up so is not really a success, but it only cost £2

I can't believe nobody does a budget standalone GPS speedometer. I also tried a Garmin GPS (E-Trex) but it's not really designed to show speed and the display is very small. Plus it won't do knots of course.

I think if somebody brought out such a device it would sell very well, to sibbers/jetski users etc?
Old 08 December 2012, 23:48   #2
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
I need a GPS speedometer that is self-contained (internal batteries) and preferably no more than £100

Garmin 176, garmin gps ii, gps iii, gps v, Garmin Emap, Etrex legend, Magellan 310, 315, 320.

Just a few off the top of my head that give good speed readouts in nautical measurements.

The Garmin Quest was designed as a motorcycle unit, colour, waterproof and reads in nautical. It can also read bluechart cartography.

All of them available off Ebay for less than £40.

For a bit more, the garmin 60c is a good unit.
Old 09 December 2012, 12:34   #3

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Thanks, I will have a look on ebay
Old 09 December 2012, 19:43   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Add an external battery to your iPhone. They are pretty cheap and you can use rechargeable batteries.
Old 10 December 2012, 10:40   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
I can't believe nobody does a budget standalone GPS speedometer. I also tried a Garmin GPS (E-Trex) but it's not really designed to show speed and the display is very small. Plus it won't do knots of course.
You sure?

I know the Etrex comes in many variants (usually age related) but I;m sure you can put it into Knots. The "data" screen somewhere has a "how many tings do you want to display?" option - by reducing the number of things displayed, the numbers get bigger. (that may only be on the more modern ones?)

Other cheap ones are the GPS12. (ancient - no WAAS and so cheap) 72 (replaced the 12, includes WAAS & has been Totally upgraded recently, so older smaller* screen ones should be going cheaper now) & the 76 which is a mapping version of the 72.

I have both a 12 & a V - the V on paper is better, but for the rib I find the "simple" display on the 12 easier to use at speed. I have to stop to be bale to read the map on the V.

* naff all in it for your purposes, but the new ones are £130-ish if you look around.