Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I think my method's cheaper and less complicated
Old 03 August 2015, 20:15   #22

if you have the plotter you can put it on for about £150, even less if you have the NMEA backbone already. clyde outboards got me the zuke cables and i ordered the garmin starter kit for about £35 or so.

it is well worth the investment and it has paid for itself already in fuel savings in only a few months....plus it is a gadget...win win!

cheers
Old 03 August 2015, 21:31   #23

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Thanks for the very comprehensive reply Debrus. A few options to consider. A fair bit of money whichever option. Might be something for next season if Santa should happen to visit the boat shop.......

I think a new plotter is likely to be the most cost-effective solution as I am not happy with the present unit.

Most of the links you give are to US websites. Is this because the items are not available in the UK?
Old 03 August 2015, 21:49   #24

they are available in the UK yes, goto your local dealer or give Cameron at clyde outboards a bell if you don't have one.

what you need can be priced here (remember, you need v2.9 and the correct adapter to your engine, this place only sell v2.8 but you get the idea)

https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/genuinepa...20gauges?uID=0

cheers
Old 12 August 2015, 21:45   #25

Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Honda 90
Not withstanding all the good advice about this type of gauge being less than ideal, I would like it to at least work when stationary so I need some more advice please.

I removed the sender unit and moved the float up and down by hand and discovered that when the float is at it's lowest (i.e. when you would expect it to read empty), the gauge reads 7/8, when at its highest (i.e. when you would expect it to read full), the gauge reads 1/4. Looking at the gauge manufacturers website (Wema), it suggests that if you have a US spec gauge and a European spec sender or the other way around, then this could result in reading high and low the wrong way around. Extract from the Wema Q&A....

Q: Why is the level gauge reading backwards (reading full when tank should be empty, reading empty when tank should be full)?
  • That means the gauge and the sending unit are using different standards (one may be using American standard, 240 ohm at empty, 30 ohms at full; the other may be using European standard, 0 ohms empty, 180 ohms at full), hence, are not compatible.
  • Only solution would be to replace either the gauge or the sending unit so that both are using either European Standard or American Standard ohm range.

Has anyone come across tis before? I am told that the previous owner of my rib had only replaced the gauge a few months ago. Is just seems a bit unlikely that a locally sourced Wema gauge would have been US spec (I am assuming the Ribcraft sender is European spec?). Could this be a wiring issue? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 12 August 2015, 22:02   #26

Town: Fort William
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Ribcraft 585 fuel guage / sender problem?

240-33ohm units are quite common.

Both my Quicksilver and Suzuki gauges are 240's

Pretty simple to figure out what you have with a multimeter, if both are compatible and read correct it would then point you to a wiring issue.
Old 13 August 2015, 18:28   #27

I asked Jason at Ribcraft the cost of a new sender unit. He says they have them made specially, so the price was quite high. He also said the tank is long and narrow so any gauge is not going to be great. He said if it was him he would go for a flow meter....
Old 13 August 2015, 20:28   #28

i'm just back from a wee run around the west coast, kip-largs-millport-little cumbrea-portavadie-kyles of bute-kip and this is one of the screens on one of my plotters showing some fuel info.

it was VERY calm today and just watching the fuel flow meter can yield decent savings. the difference between being trimmed well and being trimmed WELL is probably in the region of 10-15% in fuel usage.

as an example, sitting at 3200rpm i was able to eek out 19.5 litres per hour doing about 23/24mph, happy with that.

anyways, literally couldn't live without the flow meter now......get it bought!

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150813_194403.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	107823  
Old 14 August 2015, 09:35   #29

Definitely something for the christmas list - new plotter and flow meter. That Garmin unit looks nice.

But.... with a 180l tank, a full tank of fuel would in theory get me from the Solent to France.... and back..... and then back to France again. Or three time round the IOW....

I take your point on saving fuel, but providing I keep the tank topped off now and again, and keep an eye on the miles, I do not think I will run out for fuel in a hurry.

When I think of it though, carrying a full tank of fuel is equivalent weight to around two passengers.,...
Old 14 August 2015, 11:48   #30

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
If the engine is NMEA2000 why bugger mess about with flow meters when the engine is telling you what it's using?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2015, 21:19   #31

Town: Beds/South coast
Engine: Yam 115
The gauge on our Ribcraft is not very accurate either. But we work on around using 1.3 L per nautical mile. 115 yam 4 stroke with 6 Divers onboard doing around 25 knots. If I were you, I would use up the whole tank, with spare onboard of course, and see what she burns per mile.

Tags
rib, ribcraft