Old 09 September 2010, 08:37   #1

Town: Den Haag
Boat name: n/a
Make: Sovereign
Length: 6m +
Engine: O/B Mariner 90hp
Rib running / spot light

Morning all, new to the forum but have had a look through the hive of information available but have not quite found what i am after. We have a 6m rib, used on lakes (big Italian lakes) and we are starting to spend more time driving at night. Nav lights are sorted and fine, but decent running lights are not on yet. There is quite a bit of drift wood etc around, so keen to be able to see well ahead. What do people recommend? The rib has an A frame for skiing (also have nav lights on it), What and where would you mount flood / spot lights - not for show but for use?

Thanks

Fletch
Old 09 September 2010, 09:05   #2

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
I have on on the top of the A frame(came with the boat) I hate it.
As the light is behind you, you turn to speak to the passengers, your blinded.
I wear specs and get the reflection of the light on the inside of my glasses adn cant see squat.

I may try light positioned in front of the helm position, but im not sure id get them high enough to get the down angle to the water over the toobs.
Old 09 September 2010, 13:11   #3

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
There will also be on overspill of light onto the boat ruining your night vision - the only place for lights is where the Americans are fond of fitting "Docking Lights", but even then you are restricted by the range of the lights at that height and of course power. Anything fitted on the A frame or anywhere other than the bow will ruin your night vision!

IMHO lights are not very helpful and the only solution is go slower and keep a good look out - if it's a moonless night then keep off the plane and get someone to use a handheld spotlight up on the bow.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2010, 15:12   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
IMHO lights are not very helpful and the only solution is go slower and keep a good look out

jky
Old 09 September 2010, 18:24   #5

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
A frame mounted lights have 2 functions;

1. To make manufacturers money
2. To completely ruin all night vision for minutes every time you even catch one in your peripheral vision.

Codders once sugested an infra red camera feeding into an AV feed to your nav screen if compatible, not sure how workable this would be.

Slower and/or handheld spot sound the wisest counsel thus far.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2010, 18:53   #6

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
A pair of these set into the hull would be pretty good if I had the money. http://www.hellamarine.com/?t=3&View...ID=154&pcid=22

I think Martini still has his FLIR thermal camera onboard. Not sure how effective it is at speed.
Old 09 September 2010, 19:29   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyaflk View Post
Morning all, new to the forum but have had a look through the hive of information available but have not quite found what i am after. We have a 6m rib, used on lakes (big Italian lakes) and we are starting to spend more time driving at night. Nav lights are sorted and fine, but decent running lights are not on yet. There is quite a bit of drift wood etc around, so keen to be able to see well ahead. What do people recommend? The rib has an A frame for skiing (also have nav lights on it), What and where would you mount flood / spot lights - not for show but for use?

Thanks

Fletch
I use an Aqua signal hand held 12v spot lamp, it CAN be VERY handy,its bright and robust, has a long lead and stows away when not in use.They are not cheap,but like some L.A gangs are fond of saying...'Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!'[Although I dont think they are talking about hand- lights!!] I have a 12v socket on consul.
Although I do agree with Cookee,headlamps on a fast moveing rib would be impracticle.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2010, 07:42   #8

Town: Den Haag
Boat name: n/a
Make: Sovereign
Engine: O/B Mariner 90hp
Rib running / spot light

Many thanks for all the thoughts - pretty conclusive, a hand lamp it will be - just had a look at the Aqua lamp - looks pretty good. All the best. Fletch.
Old 10 September 2010, 10:04   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyaflk View Post
Many thanks for all the thoughts - pretty conclusive, a hand lamp it will be - just had a look at the Aqua lamp - looks pretty good. All the best. Fletch.
They are good. I bought a "copy" on ebay for about £50, it seems to be the same product with a different brandname on it. Search for "handheld spotlight" and "handheld searchlight", they come up every couple of weeks.