Click Here to Login

Old 19 January 2011, 14:58   #1

Town: Goudswaard
Boat name: mr D
Make: Deltapower
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f300 BETU
RIBase
rewiring a mike on an icom ic-m411 - your expertise please!

Since i sent my icom ic-m411 to the local ATIS install shop (and therefore it is impossible for me right now to open it up myself), i was hoping somebody had preceded me on actually opening one up and may assist me on changing the connection of the mike, which by the way is a HM164-B. (with channel changing, volume changing and hi/lo power gizmo's on it) :

I need to make a watertight connection on my console 50 cm away from the vhf itself and therefore i need to make a new waterproof connection on the console. Since all the wiring connections on the VHF are inside the box of the IC-M411 itself, i reckon i need to find a 'creative solution' for this connection, i.e. cutting the wire etcetera.

Does anybody have any experience with the wiring of the microphone? would for example an 8 pole round connection or a RJ45 connection (like the motorola radios have) be 'hobbied' on to it?

any feedback appreciated!
Old 19 January 2011, 16:01   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Well if it's of any use to you, my m505 has an 8 pin socket on the back for a command mic. I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to get an extension cable of some sort arranged. Maybe see if Icom would supply you with a matching plug and socket to make up your own. It may even be an industry standard socket available from RS.

Edit: Just realised the 411 doesn't have the expansion socket on the back. I have no idea how the fixed mic attaches in that case. However, I did speak to Icom UK the other day on another matter and they were very helpful.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2011, 14:47   #3

RIBase
since i am fearing icom's reaction that i am modifying their 'foolproof' setup did not contact them for this..not sure whether they support 'downgrading' their equipment....

In the meantime I did some research on the HM-164b mike and this appears to be 5 wire connection. Reckon will modify a bulgin ip 68 rj45 jack and see what happens..

thanks input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Well if it's of any use to you, my m505 has an 8 pin socket on the back for a command mic. I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to get an extension cable of some sort arranged. Maybe see if Icom would supply you with a matching plug and socket to make up your own. It may even be an industry standard socket available from RS.

Edit: Just realised the 411 doesn't have the expansion socket on the back. I have no idea how the fixed mic attaches in that case. However, I did speak to Icom UK the other day on another matter and they were very helpful.
Old 22 January 2011, 14:52   #4

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Sun Dry
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 75
I'm having trouble with water on the face of my 2009 m411 mic, making audio muffled. I think they may have upgraded the mic now, looking at the new pics? Am sending my radio back for checking.

Upon investigations, I came across this website showing the wiring connectors, which may be of use to you, the pic of the mic is the same as mine, but the latest one has slightly different shaped channel buttons.

http://www.npsonline.com.au/shop/item/icom-hm-164b

Good luck
Old 24 January 2011, 08:22   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun-dry View Post
I'm having trouble with water on the face of my 2009 m411 mic, making audio muffled. I think they may have upgraded the mic now, looking at the new pics? Am sending my radio back for checking.

Upon investigations, I came across this website showing the wiring connectors, which may be of use to you, the pic of the mic is the same as mine, but the latest one has slightly different shaped channel buttons.

http://www.npsonline.com.au/shop/item/icom-hm-164b

Good luck
= helpful - thanks !