Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
Replace or Repair Simrad RD68 VHF

Hi,

I have a flush mounted Simrad RD68 VHF. It seems to have stopped transmitting, as in the Tx icon does not appear when the mic button is pressed. The unit is a 2005 model.

First I need to decide if it is worth repairing a 7/8 year old unit or get something new, better, with a decent warranty.

Second if I replace it what should I get instead bearing in mind that it is flush mounted and I want something that will either fit the same hole or be a little bigger so that the console does not end up looking a complete mess.

So the questions are:
1 repair or replace?
2. Has anyone had a similar unit that they have replaced and if so what with?

Many thanks
Old 06 July 2012, 12:01   #2

Town: hampshire
Length: 7m +
just went through the same process. Replaced the simrad (was a great unit before the display stopped working, i gave it to someone on here who tried to get it repaired). Replaced it with this -

Standard Horizon GX2100 Matrix AIS VHF Radio - Combination VHF & AIS - Marine Super Store

slightly narrower across and slightly wider in height in the flush mount cutout but covered the simrad rd68 flush panel size pretty well perfectly. Standard Horizon has ais/dsc built in and hooks up to my chart plotter really well.
Old 06 July 2012, 12:23   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I removed a 68 - they have a fairly big footprint - wide and slim.
Old 06 July 2012, 12:29   #4

rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I removed a 68 - they have a fairly big footprint - wide and slim.
correct and not helped by the flush mount panel screw holes which makes it even wider/higher to cover with the new/replacement.
Old 06 July 2012, 12:36   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Yes - the pic shows what I had to do to replace it with a Navman 7100 - nasty...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2329.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	69995  
Old 06 July 2012, 22:03   #6

All,

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try a new mic tomorrow and it that doesn't work I will probably look for a replacement of some type that fits the slot without one of those filler plates if at all possible!
Old 07 July 2012, 03:52   #7
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellhouse View Post
just went through the same process. Replaced the simrad (was a great unit before the display stopped working, i gave it to someone on here who tried to get it repaired). Replaced it with this -

Standard Horizon GX2100 Matrix AIS VHF Radio - Combination VHF & AIS - Marine Super Store

slightly narrower across and slightly wider in height in the flush mount cutout but covered the simrad rd68 flush panel size pretty well perfectly. Standard Horizon has ais/dsc built in and hooks up to my chart plotter really well.
Make sure you get the GX2150 if you're going to connect it to a HDS-5/7. Garmin 740s (or above, I'm sure) can do the 2100. Great deals on that right now!!!
Old 07 July 2012, 05:48   #8

s horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Make sure you get the GX2150 if you're going to connect it to a HDS-5/7. Garmin 740s (or above, I'm sure) can do the 2100. Great deals on that right now!!!
pretty sure you can't get the 2150 over here yet, (i tried) very minor differences on the 2100. See here -

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

just under the first section there is a tag with the differences gx2100 versus gx2150 (about 4 things, baud rate adjustment for some chart plotters which only have one comport, pa/fog horn whilst using ais screen and different types of bearings to target)

gx2100 dimensions
Dimensions (W x H x D, mm) 180 x 80 x 160
Flush Mount Dimensions (W x H x D, mm) 161 x 65 x 150

simrad rd 68 dimensions (without flush kit, sorry i haven't got it still to measure that)
Dimensions (W*H*D): 185*88*168 mm

The standard horizon was the closest fit i could find and it's got a nice big display which was a bonus as well.
Old 07 July 2012, 21:41   #9

Turns out it is the mic. Went to Greenham Regis in Poole who lent me a handset mic. This solved the problem, better still Chris @ Greenham has a customer who is changing his old Simrad RD68 and is willing to sell the fist mic for a very reasonable price. All in all a good result. Now I just need to find the antenna problem and I'm sorted. Boats! Why do we do it?

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 08 July 2012, 05:28   #10
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellhouse View Post
pretty sure you can't get the 2150 over here yet, (i tried) very minor differences on the 2100. See here -

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

just under the first section there is a tag with the differences gx2100 versus gx2150 (about 4 things, baud rate adjustment for some chart plotters which only have one comport, pa/fog horn whilst using ais screen and different types of bearings to target)
Yep, I needed the 2150 because the HDS-7 only has one NMEA0183 port (as does the 5) whereas the HDS-8/10 have two and can use the 2100. Garmin 740s has two NMEA0183 ports....a buddy has his hooked up nicely to the 2100.
Old 08 July 2012, 05:38   #11

vhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarguitar View Post
Turns out it is the mic. Went to Greenham Regis in Poole who lent me a handset mic. This solved the problem, better still Chris @ Greenham has a customer who is changing his old Simrad RD68 and is willing to sell the fist mic for a very reasonable price. All in all a good result. Now I just need to find the antenna problem and I'm sorted. Boats! Why do we do it?

Thanks for all the responses.
glad you got it sorted ok. The display is a common failure on these as well apparently, damp gets under the front window.
Old 08 July 2012, 06:03   #12

Town: plymouth
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 verado
I had the display go on my rd68 earlier in the year...My options were buy something new or get it repaired by the service centre for £100....I went with the repair, dont think I would have got much for £100....probably 2 bean cans and loads of string!...
Old 08 July 2012, 09:15   #13

Actually for around £120.00 there are quite a few decent VHF sets. The big problem is if it is flush mounted it is hard to find another unit to fit the hole, which is the reason I stated this thread. Had lots of great advice, thanks to all.