Old 24 June 2017, 13:22   #1

Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Sea Drive II
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4 stroke
Problem with my horn

Recently decided to get rid of my horn hailer and replace it with a compact single horn from Force 4. Reason being that I never use the hailer function and I can free up space on the console by having just a horn instead.

I run the horn hailer from my Icom M506 VHF, which works well as I can control its volume and frequency. I want to run the new horn the same way, but the problem is that when I connect it to the same wires at the back of the radio, the volume output is pathetic - quieter than the key beeps on the radio, even at full volume. I tried reversing the +/- wires but it made no difference.

When connected directly to 12v, the new horn works fine and is very loud, so it's not faulty. The M506 is fine too - it drives the horn hailer with plenty of volume.

Is the problem something to do with the resistance or wattage being incompatible? The M506 manual says you need "Hailer output power: More than 25 W with a 4 Ohm load". No idea what the new horn's specs are as it doesn't come with any.

Is there a way to make the new horn work with the M506 with a resistor or whatever? Or do I just have to run the compact single horn direct from 12v via a separate push button?

I'm sure someone understands this stuff - thanks in advance!