Old 02 October 2004, 02:26   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Big Fish
Make: Princecraft
Length: no boat
Engine: 115 outboard
Polaris DSC To Garmin GPSMAP 176

Hope someone can help me,I am trying to wire my polaris dsc to my garmin 176 gps but don't understand how the wiring works.My garmin has two wires a white for data in and brown for data out and the polaris has a green for data in,how would you wire this up.What wires hook where.I am not that smart when it comes to wiring things like this anyways so if anybody can help me it will be great.I am planning to wiring this up sometime this week so if anyone knows please free to email me or post it.
Old 02 October 2004, 09:27   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Must be brown to green then. Plus you need the connect the grounds together. (The radio may have a floating ground so you need to connect them to be sure to complete the circuit.)
Old 03 October 2004, 01:39   #3

Thanks Jw, but what about white data in from the gps where does that wire get hook up too.
Old 03 October 2004, 12:02   #4

If you have no input to the gps, just tie it off.
Old 03 October 2004, 16:59   #5

Thanks alot Jw I will try it and see how it works.
----------------------------------------------
Henry Z
Old 03 October 2004, 18:11   #6

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
As JW says, you need to connect the black negative/ground leads from both together. It's well worth doing a direct connection on this between the two units and not relying on the fact that they probably both share a common ground on the battery. I had trouble once with getting a reliable signal through and found the solution to be a dedicated ground/negative link between GPS and Autopilot.
Old 04 October 2004, 03:11   #7

Thanks Erin for your help too and I will make sure I do that.
Old 04 October 2004, 18:03   #8

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Some VHF's have a NMEA output so that the position of the station transmitting the emergancy can be shown on the GPS - you would wire up the white wire on the GPS to that one or just leave it as JW says if your VHF doesn't have an output.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2004, 21:47   #9

wiring up

I am trying to wire up my horn for my boat.I wired in a fuse block and so it will be wire into that.I also want have a switch for the horn and I am not sure as to how to go about wiring it up.Is there anyone out there that has done this before and can anyone help with this.
Old 10 October 2004, 23:20   #10

Take a cable from a fuse and connect it to one pole of a push for on switch. From the second pole of the switch, take a cable to the positive connector of the horn. From the other horn connector, take a return cable to the negative supply.

Horns consume a fair amount of current. Make sure your switch is of a satisfactory rating. You wouldn't want the contacts to stick together.
Old 11 October 2004, 04:13   #11

Wiring Up Horn

Hi JW!

First of all JW I want to thank you for helping out.I think I lost you in the wiring.It sounds like I need a three pole push button switch.Is that right because if I am taking a cable from the fuse box it will be a red positive cable and I am connecting it to pole other then the positve pole of the switch.So does that mean I connect the fuse box cable to the negative pole of the switch or the other pole of the three pole switch.Does this sound like I am lost or what.I wish I had a diagram of your wiring because reading it and see it on paper makes a world of difference.I just can't picture it in my head when I read it.Sorry about that can you explain it in more detail if that's not problem.
Old 11 October 2004, 11:55   #12

Henry, I think you should buy a basic book on simple electrical circuits. Then come back and ask the questions.
Old 11 October 2004, 15:36   #13

Wiring a Horn

JW
I want to ask you a question,I wanted to check the horn out so I connected the horn to the battery with negative wire to the negative pole and touching the positive wire to the positive pole,shouldn't the horn sound off.But it didn't is the horn broken or is it that it doesn't work by doing that.JW the thing is I didn't think I would be having a problem hooking this horn since I hooked all my other electronics up to the boat with no problem plus the wiring in my house,so why I can't do this,well who knows.
Old 11 October 2004, 20:49   #14

I'm a bit reluctant to continue with this, Henry but here goes.... Yes, the horn should work if connected as you describe, however, horns are delicate and they can easily be silenced, particularly if the attachement screw is on the side and you overtighten it a bit. Some of the cheap horns will stop working with even the smallest amount of stress.

Now then, depending on the type of horn, there is likely to be an adjuster in the form of a screw, possibly with a locknut, either on the outside of the case or, more likely, under the side cover. If it's a trumpet, it's under the end cover. If it's not visible on the outside take off the side cover, locate the screw and it is possible to adjust to get the horn sounding again. Best done with the assistance of a helper. This, of course, presumes the horn is not seriously old, knackered or fried and that the battery is good.

Connect the horn to the battery and turn the adjusting screw in small increments. My guess is to start by screwing it in, clockwise. If, after a half turn, there is no indication that it is starting to sound then return it to the original position and begin to turn it in the opposite direction. If it is going to sound, it will.

It will begin to squeek, this turns into the full blast and then diminishes as you adjust past the best setting.

Do not leave it connected to the battery for a prolonged period.

Assuming it is now working, you may find that after mounting it stops or reduces in output. You will need to adjust incorrectly it so that the stress of mounting pulls it back into sync.
Old 11 October 2004, 23:08   #15

wiring a horn

JW
Thanks alot for your help I understand.