Old 07 September 2008, 02:08   #1

Town: over there
Length: under 3m
Engine: outboard
piece of crap bilge pump. a rule i think

it is a rule-mate500 with a float switch, 500gph and is hooked up so it is supposed to come on automatically but i am not sure if it is with the key on or off. it should be both right? like for when u r driving or for when u leave the boat sitting. does anyone know how i can wire a new pump so that i can use it when i am driving the boat but set it to come on automatically over night when the key is off? and what is the story on the electrical switches instead of using the float switch? cuz my pump does not seem to work half of the frigging time. when i put one of these switches in do i need to buy a new bilge pump too? thanks for your help
Old 07 September 2008, 02:38   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
The pump should be wired without the keyswitch in the circuit. Preferably directly to the battery.

You want the auto part to work whenever there's enough water in the bilge to trigger it, whether you're on-board or not, running or not.

The manual switch can be wired either way, but normally it bypasses keyswitch as well.

You do want to make sure you have an inline fuse on the power feed, though.

jky
Old 07 September 2008, 11:45   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
You need to use an on/off/auto changeover switch with two switched feeds to the pump, one via the float switch.
Old 07 September 2008, 21:21   #4

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I just fitted one of the auto Rule pumps. You can have a manual override but I just wired in into a switch that I leave on all the time. There is no float switch but they start every 2.5 mins and if water is sensed they keep running until the boat is empty then switch off. If no water is present they only run a second or two.
The sensing is based on water resistance so no moving parts.
I just switch it on and leave it on and it seems to work quite well on a RIB bouncing around.
Old 07 September 2008, 21:36   #5

Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
rule = crap....
Old 07 September 2008, 21:39   #6

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I've just fitted one of these too. It has 2 feed wires, brown and red. Cant remember which way round but the automatic feed goes to a permanent live (fused) and the other should go to a switch. Then it will pump automatically when it senses water or you can pump manually using the switch.

This type is much more reliable imo, float switches always seem to be the bit that gives up the ghost.
Old 08 September 2008, 00:51   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I know people keep saying the Rule auto/electronic is crap - my 1st one packed up after a few weeks but the 2nd one has been running for about 2 years and it works overtime. Without the pump my boat will take on about 1000L or a ton of water in just 1 day!!!

This August alone it rained every single day.

I bet the thing will pack up after this.............
Old 08 September 2008, 15:51   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
the 2nd one has been running for about 2 years and it works overtime. [snip]
Of course it will.

When diving, never use those words when talking to another diver ("I've never lost a mask", "I've never had a regulator problem", "I've never had a problem finding the boat", "I've never had a drysuit leak", etc.)

It pretty much guarantees that exactly that will happen on the next dive. And usually, the one after that, as well.

jky
Old 08 September 2008, 21:17   #9

Quote:
I know people keep saying the Rule auto/electronic is crap - my 1st one packed up after a few weeks but the 2nd one has been running for about 2 years and it works overtime. Without the pump my boat will take on about 1000L or a ton of water in just 1 day!!!

This August alone it rained every single day.

Is that not around 4 inches of rain a day? Would the country not be underwater if we regularly got 4 inches of water every 24 hours?
I think the record rainfall for the UK is in the region of 6-10 inches in a month!
Methinks you jest sir!
Old 10 September 2008, 18:52   #10

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I just fitted one of the auto Rule pumps. You can have a manual override but I just wired in into a switch that I leave on all the time. There is no float switch but they start every 2.5 mins and if water is sensed they keep running until the boat is empty then switch off. If no water is present they only run a second or two.
The sensing is based on water resistance so no moving parts.
I just switch it on and leave it on and it seems to work quite well on a RIB bouncing around.
I think I had one of these a couple of boats ago and THB it killed my batteries, so I had to piggy up a second battery if I was away from the boat for a couple of weeks or so as it was berthed at the time.

I came to the conclusion that a pump emptying out 4 gallons or so when it came on, and the water collected was better than one that came on every few minutes when there wasnt even any water there.

It was one of those infuriating boats that I couldnt keep the water out of the underdeck no matter how hard I tried , and I didnt want the cabling getting wet so I installed another auto bilge inside the underdeck. After a trip out, bouncing about, the casing of which came apart unbeknowns to me, water got in, operated the float switch, but as the lower case forms part of the pump journal, it spun away doing nothing flattened both batteries and the boat got flooded, good and proper Grr.
Old 10 September 2008, 22:54   #11

Quote:
Is that not around 4 inches of rain a day? Would the country not be underwater if we regularly got 4 inches of water every 24 hours?
I think the record rainfall for the UK is in the region of 6-10 inches in a month!
Methinks you jest sir!
Nope you are quite a bit out there.

The highest rain in a 24hr period was 11" - yes in a day. At the Gnoll in Neath 4" was recorded in 90 minutes!!!

South Wales IS almost always underwater now - in august we didn't have a single 24hr period without rain.

There is one point you are missing though - it's all down to catchment area and my RIB has a bloody big deck!!!
Old 10 September 2008, 23:22   #12

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
The highest rain in a 24hr period was 11" - yes in a day. At the Gnoll in Neath 4" was recorded in 90 minutes!!!
Yes, I was at that match - it wasn't rain that caused the flood, but Neath fans' tears after they were hammered by the Scarlets.

Quote:
There is one point you are missing though - it's all down to catchment area and my RIB has a bloody big deck!!!
1000 litres at 4" depth covers an area of around 10 sq.m.
What's the catchment area of your deck?
Old 11 September 2008, 01:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Yes, I was at that match - it wasn't rain that caused the flood, but Neath fans' tears after they were hammered by the Scarlets.

1000 litres at 4" depth covers an area of around 10 sq.m.
What's the catchment area of your deck?
Haven't measured it!!! The water drains straight into the bilge. When the pump packed up - and later when the battery was removed for a day - the boat filled up almost to deck level. When it was pumped out it took 45 mins to empty - not very scientific but using data from some actual tests of the Rule 500 it pumps about 24lpm.
Old 11 September 2008, 07:14   #14

I took the maximum rainfall figures from the met office site and used 14sq m as a "catchment area"
I think there is a slight exagerration in how much water is filling the boat as to fill to the top would take around 12 of water to fall in 24hrs and the catchment area is the size of the bit being filled so it is still a full 12 inches rather than being concentrated into a small area than the "catchment area"
Taking the rough area of the boat it would take around 3000 litres to fill a boat that size give or take a few litres for the exact sizes.
If this much water fell in the two days you happened to have the boat not pumped I would say either you are the worlds unluckiest person, Wales is permanently under water or its ever so slightly exagerrated........
1 inch of rain falling in an area of 1 sq m is still 1 inch deep if it falls over 10 sq m.
Old 11 September 2008, 10:58   #15

Well Swansea is the wettest city in Britain - last year it had 2300mm of rain which is pretty bad but Burry Port is even worse.

I told you how I measured the amount of water on board - I said it wasn't very scientific but I reckon not far off the mark.

And as to luck my mates call me Jonah - if it can go wrong it usually does for me..........
Old 11 September 2008, 15:42   #16

2300mm is less than 1/4 inch of rain per day on average
Old 11 September 2008, 17:01   #17

Quote:
2300mm is less than 1/4 inch of rain per day on average
Doesn't sound so bad when you say it like that does it?

This is a photo of Lyn Brianne taken last week - it should be at it's lowest level at the end of summer........

Some people have actually taken canoes down the spillway!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030862 (Large).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	37480   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030859 (Large).jpg
Views:	323
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	37481   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030857 (Large).jpg
Views:	192
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	37482  
Old 11 September 2008, 18:11   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
the boat filled up almost to deck level. When it was pumped out it took 45 mins to empty -
but at least your pump is getting more efficient than when we had the same argument last year

Quote:
I know it will collect that much because ... the following day after typical heavy rain and it's taken almost 1hr to pump out.
Old 11 September 2008, 19:07   #19

Is that it? here is a couple of pics of a real overflow on a reservoir going on Loch Laggan near Fort william, and it isn't even all six pipes PLUS this is the overflow of the overflow (the dam actually overflows to another dam a few miles away and this is the water that is too much even for that!
Wales sounds positively dry compared to Lochaber.......... 2300mm? Pah!
And canoeists don't just try it occasionally, see pic for them actually doing it regularly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	laggan2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	37485   Click image for larger version

Name:	laggan.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	37486  
Old 11 September 2008, 19:44   #20

There is a slight difference - about 45 degrees by the look of it!!!

These blokes are bonkers!!!

Read the comments as well.........