Old 06 June 2020, 17:28   #1

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
NMEA 2000 questions.

Firstly, where do people power their network from? Direct from master switch? Can anyone see a problem with using power from the same switch that powers the GPS. It would seem the logical place as all N2k data will be displayed on the screen.
Secondly, do I have to power the network from a T or can power from the end of backbone? Some say yes, some say no?
Old 06 June 2020, 17:58   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Firstly, where do people power their network from? Direct from master switch? Can anyone see a problem with using power from the same switch that powers the GPS. It would seem the logical place as all N2k data will be displayed on the screen.

Secondly, do I have to power the network from a T or can power from the end of backbone? Some say yes, some say no?

I’ve always powered via a “T” never herd of powering from one end. Can’t see how that could work, where does the terminator go? Accepted wisdom is to power from a T in the middle of the back bone. My network is powered from the fuse box via the isolator. As soon as the isolator is on, the network powers up.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2020, 19:45   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I’ve always powered via a “T” never herd of powering from one end. Can’t see how that could work, where does the terminator go? Accepted wisdom is to power from a T in the middle of the back bone. My network is powered from the fuse box via the isolator. As soon as the isolator is on, the network powers up.

*heard ffs. Autocorrect [emoji849]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2020, 20:26   #4

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Similar to Dave, I've never heard of the network being powered via one of the terminators.

Mine is powered via a switch that provides power to the chartplotter, AIS and NMEA 2K network simultaneously.

I only have the chartplotter, VHF and AIS on the NMEA 2K network and no engine related stuff.
Old 06 June 2020, 21:44   #5

RIBase
I've been looking for the pictures that I saw the power being delivered from the end of backbone but cant find them, I've googled a lot of N2k recently.
I've now got it wired via the fuse panel.
I only want the network for engine data and depth transducer on chart plotter. Not enough room on console for both Command Link gauges.
Thanks for the help. ����
Old 07 June 2020, 20:36   #6

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Mines is powered through the tee if you are buying the stuff go for the 4 branch tee set up far neater if I get a chance I will put up a picture of my gubbins under the dash
Old 07 June 2020, 20:56   #7

RIBase
I’ve had the bits and pieces for a couple of years but never got round to putting it together. Spent today sorting it out and the engine is now talking to the Garmin displaying nearly every engine value known to man.
I can overlay select values on to the navigation screen which is handy.

I do need a 2m drop cable though. Can’t believe the price!!
Old 05 December 2020, 16:39   #8

Town: cambridge
Boat name: RetiredTiger
Make: priness
Engine: Yamaha
Always use a 'T' power cable with fuse please.
Old 17 November 2021, 21:55   #9

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
I only want the network for engine data and depth transducer on chart plotter. Not enough room on console for both Command Link gauges.
Thanks for the help. ����[/QUOTE]

I have a similar situation where i have 2x yamaha gauges ,revs ,and speed and fuel ,but i need to gain more space to fit larger plotter
can anybody help as to what i need to have n2k engine data to garmin (n2k compatible ) removing the speed and fuel gauge to achieve this .....do i need a gateway device please ? ,,, strange ask but when i set up my honda it was simply a lead ,but i have read several posts with suzuki where a gateway is needed ,never seen a yamaha write up hence question
nb my yam 115 is 2010 4 stroke
Old 18 November 2021, 20:06   #10

RIBase
The Yamaha was easy, a cable from the white connector with blue and white wire under engine hood in to the n2k network. Can’t remember the part number of cable. I’ll look to see if I can find it.
Data displayed on the Garmin was water temp, voltage, trim, revs, fuel usage and I think oil pressure. The Garmin had an auto search function that found all data available from the engine and displayed it on plotter.
Old 19 November 2021, 14:36   #11

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
The Yamaha was easy, a cable from the white connector with blue and white wire under engine hood in to the n2k network. Can’t remember the part number of cable. I’ll look to see if I can find it.
Data displayed on the Garmin was water temp, voltage, trim, revs, fuel usage and I think oil pressure. The Garmin had an auto search function that found all data available from the engine and displayed it on plotter.
Thanks Alan that is great info ,i dont even think i need to get under the hood ,on hunting for cable part number i think i can link onto my command bus rail ,and it gets better i already had a honda 6 pin to nmea spare which plugged straight on the command link rail and even comes with a tee ,i still need to buy a nmea starter kit but i am very optimistic thankyou again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211119_150423_8.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	139309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211119_150432_9.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	139310  
Old 27 November 2021, 20:25   #12

Town: Annapolis, MD
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp
If you have separate displays you might want to power the N2K bus separately from the chart plotter. The idea being the displays and sensors might consume less power than the plotter and you might need to manage power consumption. Or just be able to power cycle the plotter and network separately. Just make sure if you do use a power tap, to not have power coming in from the plotter or any other devices. Some displays can provide power to the n2k bus. If you're not sure there are such things as tees that pass only data, not power.