Old 28 December 2011, 15:56   #1

Town: Plymuff
Boat name: Stingray
Make: Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp mercury
mercury power trim fault

ok, so i have a mercury 115 power trim fault
i will try to explain what is happening, and what i have tried.

the trim is working by itself in down motion, but up is working fine.
i have had to disconnect the remote switch on the console, then the switch on the side of the engine works fine. so i am presuming its a remote fault.
i disconnected the green/white wire. when i plug it back in, the engine starts to motor down.

i took the remote apart and found damp in the up/down switch. which i have dried, and put back together. (long drawn out affair to get it apart!!)

the remote has two sets of wires going to the back of the boat, a control set (which has a plug you can disconnect, and a power set. when you disconnect the control set, the fault remains, and you can still activate up, but down works even when you let go of the switch. so i am presuming the cable with no connector has these cables in also.

any ideas what to look at next? i dont think its a relay problem, as the engine motors correctly with the green/white wire removed from the remote.

is it damp somewhere? do i need to look closer at the console remote??

thanks, if i head scratch anymore i will go bald!
Old 28 December 2011, 16:49   #2

Town: North Lincolnshire
Length: no boat
I would check along the length of the cable for any damage, it seems strange you are able to activate the trim/tilt when the two control cables have been disconnected.
Old 28 December 2011, 17:32   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I had a trim fault in the Autumn which turned out to be two corroded wires in the main 10-pin loom (identified with multimeter for continuity). Because the trim works fine at the switch on the engine, you can probably rule out faulty solenoids. Can you borrow another loom to see if the wiring is the issue or somehow test the switch?
Old 28 December 2011, 17:36   #4

It still works with the control cable disconnected, not the main lead.

I think I need to spend some time with a multimeter and check all the leads etc!
Old 29 December 2011, 09:04   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarkP View Post
the trim is working by itself in down motion, but up is working fine.
i have had to disconnect the remote switch on the console, then the switch on the side of the engine works fine. so i am presuming its a remote fault.
i disconnected the green/white wire. when i plug it back in, the engine starts to motor down.

i took the remote apart and found damp in the up/down switch. which i have dried, and put back together. (long drawn out affair to get it apart!!)
That says to me you either have a faulty switch (suck in the "down" position) or a short between + and the "down" wire.

Quote:
when you disconnect the control set, the fault remains, and you can still activate up, but down works even when you let go of the switch.
Does it motor down constantly unless you move the switch to "up"? or does it do nothing until tyou press the switch down but keep going when you let go? (and will moving it to "up" momentarily stop it motoring down if that is the case?)

Quote:
any ideas what to look at next? i dont think its a relay problem,
Agreed. If it was a relay problem it wouldn't work from the engine end either.

I'll try to get a look at my wiring diagrams when I get home, unless someone posts something first.
Old 29 December 2011, 09:11   #6

Town: Plymouth
Swap the green and blue wires over so up is down and vice versa. If the fault remains on the same down section of the switch (which would then be controlling the up movement) it's a faulty switch. If it reverses the fault to the up button on the switch (which would be bringing the tilt down at that point) its faulty wiring

My bet is a faulty switch too. Cheap replacement at about £20. Or if your as tight as me swap it with the engine switch and disconnect the bottom wire on it making down inactive on the engine side. Let's face it how often do you use that one anyway - its hardly a long walk back to helm!

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 29 December 2011, 09:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post

Does it motor down constantly unless you move the switch to "up"? or does it do nothing until tyou press the switch down but keep going when you let go? (and will moving it to "up" momentarily stop it motoring down if that is the case?)

I'll try to get a look at my wiring diagrams when I get home, unless someone posts something first.
it will start to motor down the minute you connect the white/green wire in the engine housing.
if you press the up switch on the remote, it will stop it motoring and begin to go back up, as soon as you let go, it starts down again.

with the remote green/white wire disconnected, i can tilt the engine up on the remote, and not down, and on the side of the engine the tilt works up and down without problem

thanks for your replies
Old 29 December 2011, 09:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Swap the green and blue wires over so up is down and vice versa. If the fault remains on the same down section of the switch (which would then be controlling the up movement) it's a faulty switch. If it reverses the fault to the up button on the switch (which would be bringing the tilt down at that point) its faulty wiring

My bet is a faulty switch too. Cheap replacement at about £20. Or if your as tight as me swap it with the engine switch and disconnect the bottom wire on it making down inactive on the engine side. Let's face it how often do you use that one anyway - its hardly a long walk back to helm!

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
nice idea, i will try tonight, thanks

if i have tilt in a downwards motion, that would be better for trimming the engine until i sort it properly
Old 29 December 2011, 09:17   #9

Just remember to disconnect your power when not in use as you don't want to burn your motor out and create more problems

Old 29 December 2011, 09:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Just remember to disconnect your power when not in use as you don't want to burn your motor out and create more problems

will do thanks

i may bring it down to you if i get stuck??
Old 29 December 2011, 09:32   #11

If your local I may have a replacement switch which your welcome to knocking about somewhere. I know I've a new one in my container and I have loads of spare control boxes which you could try too if needed to prove the fault. The only problem is logistics as I'm not available right now, not entirely sure when that's going to change.

I could drop off the part but that's about it right now

Old 29 December 2011, 09:40   #12

i will see what the problem is first, thanks.
i am in plymouth monday, so could call and get it if you are around?
will let you know
thanks very much
Old 29 December 2011, 09:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarkP
i will see what the problem is first, thanks.
i am in plymouth monday, so could call and get it if you are around?
will let you know
thanks very much
Ok, let me know ASAP what part you want to give me time go get it from Plymstock. I'm split between Home and Derriford right now.

Old 01 January 2012, 15:43   #14

Done as suggested, swapped the two wires, it now works fine, on the reverse, and motors all the time up. So yep, switch on control it is,
Can you get me one? And how much? Thanks
Old 01 January 2012, 15:47   #15

That's good news. Or at least better than it could have been. I'll have a look to see if I've a switch, like I said I am sure I have a new one in its packet somewhere. If I can find it your welcome to have it for free!

I'll have a look in the morning and let you know but don't be afraid to remind me if I've not posted back. I'll have forgotten

Old 02 January 2012, 13:19   #16

Ok so did not find the new one I know I have but I did find a used one. It was working when removed but will need re-wired back on as the plug in connectors have been cut off. Perfectly useable.

Up to you it's here if you want it free of charge. They are around £20 to buy new if you prefer that option.

Here's a pic of the on I have

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-153291930.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	64710   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3584248820.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	64711  
Old 02 January 2012, 20:15   #17

Thanks a lot, very much appreciated
Pm incoming!
Old 02 January 2012, 21:20   #18

No problem. Glad to be able to help!