Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Electrics and electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 25 August 2020, 17:30   #1

Town: Oban
Make: Northcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100hp
Lowrance Elite Ti sonar logging learning curve

I've been experimenting a bit and getting to know the sonar logging feature of my Elite 9 Ti.
I went out to a wreck 20m long in 20m depth. I went this way and that around the wreck trying to get a nice side-scan image in the logged sonar data. Back at base I dropped waypoints on several views of the wreck using the Structure view in the .SL2 file and then looked at the chart to admire my work and compare my waypoints with the known position. They were all out by up to twice the water depth and spread around the actual position but I could see they were all on the boat's track.
This means unless you run directly over the target you want to waypoint you will introduce an error equal to the true horizontal distance from your target. So the further off the mark you are the further your waypoint gets plotted. The manual doesn't say anything about this 'feature'.
After converting the .sl2 file to a .smf the targets I had seen were not visible. I won't be deleting the .sl2 files after conversion as the manual suggests since they contain much more detailed imagery, particularly the in the Downscan view.
What do you know?