Old 04 February 2007, 08:43   #1

Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
Lowarance question.

For 3 years I've the Lowrance GlobalMap 7000 C with the LGC-12w GPS module (antenna). Every so now and than there is a very weak signal from the satelites. Two or three dark blue bars in the satellites page. Or two light blue bars. Sometimes there is navigation but no speed notation.
My friend with the same unit but in another part of Holland has no problems.

I know about the satellites and there positions, trees and buildings beeing in the way. I've sprayed WD40 in the antenna plugs with no solution. Who can explain and solve this problem? I would be very grateful.
Old 05 February 2007, 17:11   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Any radar sets in operation when you have the problem? Mid-range radar emissions can screw up GPS reception (seems to happen more with older antennae), and high power emissions can kill the GPS antennae.

You might try cleaning the top of the module with a mild solvent. Probably won't help, though.

Other than those, I know that some of the Lowrance GPS modules were a bit sketchy in operation. They have had quite a few odd problems, including some that happen as you describe. Unfortunately, there is very little you can do with these things as far as troubleshooting goes - swapping is about the only method; so it makes it pretty tough to ID the actual prolem cause.

Good luck;

jky
Old 05 February 2007, 20:02   #3

Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
Thanks for your reply. I've no radar, but will try to keep the module (antenna) further away from cables, etc. See how that works out.
Old 05 February 2007, 22:27   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
Thanks for your reply. I've no radar, but will try to keep the module (antenna) further away from cables, etc. See how that works out.
Doesn't necessarily have to be on your boat. Nearby radar sets may cause interference, and nearby radar ground stations are the ones reported to kill antennae (East US coast somewhere... Virginia, perhaps? Some river or bay with a Navy base.)

jky