Old 04 December 2018, 14:17   #1

Length: under 3m
Looking for some ideas for me electronics upgrade plans

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2102.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	127865

I am debating in my mind some electronics upgrades this winter.
As you will see from the picture I use a handheld GPS, NASA clipper duet and what is not in the picture is a handheld VHF.

The NASA is not great on a rib for depth and all the handheld devices is just more admin than we need.

So my thoughts are to fit a GPS/Fish finder and a fixed VHF.

The console is not massive so initial ideas was to use the hole/spot of the NASA for something like a Garmin 45CV and put the vhf to the left of the wheel.

But a friend put a spanner in at the weekend saying why not replace the compass with the GPS.

Any thoughts? What would you do?

Man maths tell me if I sell on the compass it gives me more to spend[emoji848]
Old 05 December 2018, 06:30   #2

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
You can get a black box VHF where the 'head unit' is hidden away and you just have a hand mic to integrate into the console.

I'd recommend having a compass and you can get smaller ones - I think Silva does one.

You could add a screen and bail mount a chart plotter on top of the console.

If it was my console, I'd move the engine instruments down, mount a small compass on top of the console and put the biggest chartplotter I could afford in the space above the wheel. I'd have a black box VHF with the mic on the side of the console.
Old 05 December 2018, 07:53   #3

Length: 7m +
Consider how much you actuall use that compass, most of us probably dont use one very much, they are useful for a back up.

If it were me I would;

1. Remove the compass and fit a small GPS/Plotter unit in that space
2. If I realy wanted a compass then I would fit a much smaller one, you can get them one third the size of that one, or alternatively buy a hand held compass and store onboard somewhere. You can get a hand held compass that also has a bracket to mount it on the console but remains removable, that might be an idea.
3. Fit a 'black box' VHF which hides inside the compass and you have a hand mic that has controls on it and a small screen clipped to the side of console.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	efeff.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	127872   Click image for larger version

Name:	efrg.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	127873   Click image for larger version

Name:	ray.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	127874  
Old 05 December 2018, 08:48   #4

Wow I never knew you could get a black box vhf, good idea.
As you can imagine I am trying not to make too many holes etc in the console so moving gauges is probably going to be a mess.

What small GPS’s do people use, my friend was totally non plus about Raymarine, but it would fit easily?
Old 05 December 2018, 09:00   #5

And for depth measurements? Most units come as a combination one, unless I have separate?
Old 05 December 2018, 09:23   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by acraw View Post
And for depth measurements? Most units come as a combination one, unless I have separate?

As GuyC says, go for the largest that will fit. Buy a plotter/sounder combo, loads on offer from the likes of Raymarine, Garmin, Lowrance etc. Personally I prefer Lowrance, but they are all much of a muchness. I’d go for a unit that takes Navionics charts. There are plenty of bundle deals around that will include chart & sounder transducer.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2018, 10:17   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
as said i would move the compass down for how much you use it if its not affected by any steel stainless included, fit the radio there and mount a decent sized plotter on the top of the console at eye level ish best place for it IMO. you could get a pocket compass for emergencies if wanted
Old 05 December 2018, 10:53   #8

RIBase
To be fair, I use the compass quite often, especially when out of sight of land, or when off a flat coastline. Even on the west coast of Scotland when you can be surrounded by islands, it can be dis-orientating. You probably use it more than you think. I have a mental picture in my head of where I am & the compass helps to keep it the right way up.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 05 December 2018, 11:04   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
To be fair, I use the compass quite often, especially when out of sight of land, or when off a flat coastline. Even on the west coast of Scotland when you can be surrounded by islands, it can be dis-orientating. You probably use it more than you think. I have a mental picture in my head of where I am & the compass helps to keep it the right way up.
certainly wouldn't be without one got a little garmin handheld as backup too
Old 05 December 2018, 14:54   #10

Thanks for the responses, I think I need to do some measuring.
I like the idea of putting a GPS/fish finder where the compass is, so need to see how much space I have as that may determine choice.
Then either put vhf where NASA is, or maybe move compass down there and VHF on left of wheel
Again all down to some measurements both from size and existing hole covering.
Old 05 December 2018, 15:23   #11

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Three Girls
Make: Zodiac 550 Pro
Engine: O/B Yamaha 50hp
I use a Garmin 451s. The screen is small but usable and 6 years old. I use it for speed and depth info. The newer devices should have better screens. However, the largest screens are touch screens. Take advice on one to intend to buy as some of them are useless to control in the rain or heavy sprsy.
Old 05 December 2018, 15:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobg View Post
I use a Garmin 451s. The screen is small but usable and 6 years old. I use it for speed and depth info. The newer devices should have better screens. However, the largest screens are touch screens. Take advice on one to intend to buy as some of them are useless to control in the rain or heavy sprsy.
I have a touchscreen garmin and normal one on my boat, if I was buying 2 now I would get touchscreen only as on balance I prefer it, ymmv ofcourse. Mines is only a problem with some gloves, rain does sod all to my garmin 751....the owner doesnt like it though
Old 05 December 2018, 15:45   #13

I like Garmin but unfortunately I think the only one that will fit is the 45. The raymarine is a better fit, but not sure on that choice
Old 05 December 2018, 16:39   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
certainly wouldn't be without one got a little garmin handheld as backup too

Yup I have a Garmin handheld too. Cracking bit of kit[emoji106] Do you have the G2 UK chart?
Old 05 December 2018, 17:07   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Yup I have a Garmin handheld too. Cracking bit of kit[emoji106] Do you have the G2 UK chart?
No Dave just got it because I use it for work but it doubles up for the boat as a back up to find my way if the plotter goes plus its got a compass shows petrol, food etc I guess putting charts on it would be the way to go have you mine is an Oregon 600
Old 05 December 2018, 18:05   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
No Dave just got it because I use it for work but it doubles up for the boat as a back up to find my way if the plotter goes plus its got a compass shows petrol, food etc I guess putting charts on it would be the way to go have you mine is an Oregon 600

PMd you
Old 05 December 2018, 18:17   #17

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
I was trying to source a bigger screen gps to replace my 451s ,a raymarine dragon fly 5" will fit where a garmin 4" used too . personally i did,nt buy as i an also cosidering ditching my yam gauges and using the nmea engine data into a large screen jobby,would also comment the transom sensor for dragonfly is awkward size compared to garmin
Old 06 December 2018, 06:37   #18

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Three Girls
Make: Zodiac 550 Pro
Engine: O/B Yamaha 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I have a touchscreen garmin and normal one on my boat, if I was buying 2 now I would get touchscreen only as on balance I prefer it, ymmv ofcourse. Mines is only a problem with some gloves, rain does sod all to my garmin 751....the owner doesnt like it though
I have used a B&G and I think a Lowrance Chartplotters on cockpit consoles for yachts I have delivered. Large raindrops and moderate rain on the screen screw up the control of device making them almost impossible to control/alter. It is a bit of a bugger when the Chart plotter integrates the autopilot. However, not all chartplotters I have used are affected by rain, hence my comment of 'Take Advice

I may have a post mounted Dragonfly Chart plotter available soon from a motor boat I own. But it might be too big for you. PM me if you want more details or a viewing. I am in Cornwall
Old 06 December 2018, 06:48   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobg View Post
I have used a B&G and I think a Lowrance Chartplotters on cockpit consoles for yachts I have delivered. Large raindrops and moderate rain on the screen screw up the control of device making them almost impossible to control/alter. It is a bit of a bugger when the Chart plotter integrates the autopilot. However, not all chartplotters I have used are affected by rain, hence my comment of 'Take Advice

I may have a post mounted Dragonfly Chart plotter available soon from a motor boat I own. But it might be too big for you. PM me if you want more details or a viewing. I am in Cornwall

I have a pair of Lowrance gen3 plotters integrated to the autopilot with no problems, and we’ve been out in some very wet conditions. The gen3 are hybrid with buttons & touch screen. The only time we revert to the buttons is if it’s lumpy. As an aside, Lowrance /B&G/Simrad are essentially the same kit in different boxes. They are all owned by Navico.
Old 09 December 2018, 13:00   #20

Town: Warrington
Boat name: Seal
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Send a message via Skype™ to goearth
A compass is a good idea, in case your electronics go faulty, which is always possible. You should always have a backup. Even a cheap hand-held is better than nothing. Just my opinion!
email martin.berman@boatsearch.earth
goearth is offline   Reply With Quote