Old 14 January 2005, 10:11   #21

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
CJL I'm fully with you on this! (Sorry for hijacking the thread)

My car had a problem with the engine management chip and went in to have the chip replaced £400 ta very much. The problem went away for 3 months and then re-appeared....back into the garage to reset the chip £180. Worked fine for a week then back in again to reset the chip £180.

At this point I lots my rag and almost punched the service engineer. Understanding my frustration and looking a tad scared he coughed up that the reason the chip needed to be reset so often was the fact that the battery on the car was pretty low......in fact if the battery dropped below 7v then the chip would need to be reset!!!! (The Misses had left the lights on one night and drained the battery.....or maybe it was me.....but for the sake of argument she did it )

But it amazes me in two ways:

1.) One the bl**dy idiots didn't bother changing the battery saving me £260 in the process.
2.) That Volvo (sad I know but we have dogs....it's the law) would make a car that if the battery runs flat then it needs to go to the garage to be fixed!!!

So I've got to take the car back again to have a new battery put in.
Old 15 January 2005, 14:42   #22

Town: Bexleyheath
Boat name: Project I
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40hp
MMSI: Non DSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glatzel
The software allows you to reprogram the various channels and is how the sets are reprogrammed for channels 0 & 31 etc. To do so you need the software, and two cables per each type of radio.

I suspect (understandably) Icom's approach varies country to country according to the legality of reprogramming your set to channels you cannot use or legally listen to. My understanding is that if you have a legitaimate reason for additional channels (eg you are coastguard/RNLI) then sets will be reprogrammed if you provide suitable written support
The only channels that you don't have access to are the ones that you don't have authority to access! For example to have Channel 0 added to your set you require a written letter of authority from Peter Dymond Head of Search and Rescue at the MCA!

The situation is exactly the same with ALL of the other "private channels", you MUST have a written authority from the licensed organisation before you can add it to your radio. I would suspect that no one would really want to get themselves fined after the licensee has reported them to us for the misuse of their channel/s.

Mike
Old 15 January 2005, 19:28   #23

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Does Peter Dymond Head's authority extend to Finnland cos that's where the guy originally asking the question is based!

Point taken about not being naughty however!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2005, 10:04   #24

Town: Bexleyheath
Boat name: Project I
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40hp
MMSI: Non DSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Does Peter Dymond Head's authority extend to Finnland cos that's where the guy originally asking the question is based!

Point taken about not being naughty however!
Now THAT is a good question!!

Channel 0 is not actually a Maritime frequency (it is in fact PMR, land use) this is why it it doesn't come in your radio as standard. Here in the UK it is one of several non-maritime channels allocated to MCA for SAR operations, in Finland it may or may not be used for a similar purpose, I don't actually know.

If he came into UK TWs using it, he would quickly get in trouble (but not fined) as long as he was licensed by his flag state he would be reported to them and ordered to cease operation on the Channel. However, he would still require an authority from the Finnish authorities for the reason above to have it in the radio in the first place.

Mike