Old 23 November 2008, 10:24   #1

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Leccy Package for Dive RIB

Our club is speccing up a rib at present, electronics are important to us so wanted some background on;

8" displays from Garmin, Lowrance, Standard H.

Had thought; Humminbird SI unit with a 8" Combo Plotter Sonar side by side in console coupled to a DSCvhf. However I'v been a bit out of the market for a bit, do most now come with a basic chart of the UK similar to HautiPath as standard? Had seen Lowrance just launched their HDS or something.

Also anyone know which of Honda, Evinrude or Mariner Opti have a package for engine data to display on any of the above plotters?
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2008, 12:01   #2

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I can't speak for SI as I have never had one but out of Garmin and Lowrance I would pick the Garmin. I prefer the Lowrance for its flexibility and would pick over Garmin for a personal boat but the intuitive operation of Garmin would seem to be better for a club boat.
Lowrance definitely displays Evinrude not sure of the others.
Old 23 November 2008, 18:12   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Simon why put the engine instruments onto the screen? Would you not rather have a really good echo sounder GPS set up? A Raymarine C80 would normally be beyond a club budget but in the current economic crisis their may be deals to be done. It runs on soft function keys so easy for any user to operate and understand. Very impressed with ours as is Nasher with a C120.

They also have a new A series range but haven't seen them yet. Trip to the boat shows me thinks.

Pete
Old 23 November 2008, 19:55   #4

I see what you mean JG Tech have some low prices, the C120 is about £1600 admittedly all the other kit needs to go on top but thats a huge reduction from last time I was looking at prices.
Old 24 November 2008, 06:55   #5

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Well my choice would be either Garmin or SH.
The SH kit all comes with three year warranty, none of the others do!

Do you have a VHF? you can get some great deals on SH kit at them mo and if it was as a package with the VHF even better. I think there are some left over deal from SIBS where the plotter comes with a free chart.

Having said that the Humminbird side scanning sonar for diving is fantastic. Having seen a demo of this stuff recently it would be on my wish list if good identification of underwater objects is needed. Their kit comes with 2 year warranty so like SH better than the others. Am toying with the idea of one of these on Micki Dee Bee.

IMHO I find the Raymarine display, compared to the others, not all that in a RIB. You can't change the size of the display like Garmin and SH. By this I mean your vital info like depth and speed. On the SH you can have one of these the size of the screen making it much easier to see at speed.

Both the Garmin and the SH have the ability to diplay incoming DSC distress calls and DSC position requests, if linked to the right VHF (any SH and most Icom). They also have AIS as standard.

If you in no hurry it def worth a trip to the boat show in January, compare all the kit actually working and there is bound to be some good deals for the show as well.

Hope that helps.
Old 24 November 2008, 11:34   #6

I was hoping you'd contribute to this thread Jon, we do have the time so might indeed go to the boat show. My personal favourite is Lowrance however Pete7's comment on simplicity and intuitive function is very valid for club use.

Depending on budget a twin unit approach would be best case scenario; an SI unit and a separate Plotter/Sonar. This way we'll have duplication of function but the SI unit may never come out of that mode.
Old 24 November 2008, 11:45   #7

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
What rib?

Well if it is easy of use you can't beat either the Garmin or the SH on this, all the mags agree on that fact in varoius trials over the last few years.

My set up at the mo is a 12" CP500 (SH) used as the main chart plotter then a 7" CP300 used mainly for depth with an in hull transducer. I can't fault the kit it all workes really well and those that work on my boat and or have used it love the kit too. These are then conected to 2 VHF's both SH, GX-3000 and GX-1500. Also have 2 GPS antenna. Both systems are fully indepedent.

As I mentioned I am looking at a Humminbird side scan as I was so impressed with how well it works and would be a great tool for some of the work we do. Am looking to keep the in hull and move it to the large 12" and then have a transome mount for the SI set, clearly not using both at the same time!
Old 24 November 2008, 19:55   #8

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Having had a garmin unit I now have the Lowrance LCX27C and I think it is streets ahead of the Garmin in terms of build and functionality.

I think they represent better value as well.

Chris

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2008, 22:55   #9

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Thats what I said above. I used to use Garmin but now have a rake of Lowrance stuff. Out of the two I prefer the Lowrance but the garmin is more intuitive for club use.
For multiple users ease of use without thick manuals is important.
Old 26 November 2008, 16:10   #10

I had similar thoughts to this myself, having used a standard horizon sometime ago, now a discontinued product, I'd go for Lowrance for my own kit every time but multiple users need to be able to "drop on stuff straight away" Hence Garmin or S.H.

Not seen how hard Humminbird SI units are to drive but may look into this, the boat show idea is a must so might be checking out kit then.

Thank you for the replies thus far.
Old 28 November 2008, 09:22   #11

Town: Australia
Boat name: Independent (Indy)
Make: Avon SR6
Engine: Twin 90hp E-Tec 2016
Electronics for Dive Boat

Hi,

I ended up with a NorthStar (NavMan) 660 which is a 7" Portrait, and it works a treat. However, in hindsight I would have gone a SH all inclusive 8".

The only reason I did not was because the suckers are not advertised or marketed well in oz, and I did not even know they existed until coming across accidently and then doing my homework on them, and playing with one.

Stating that - Bang for Buck, the Northstar and associated VHF works a treat.

The portrait is great as my primary screens are the chart & Sonar, and Portrait presents better than the landscape. I have also customised the Highway and Sonar as an alternative display as well.

Great system for $$ and has not failed me yet. Again however, go the SH. Great system.

I checked out the Lowrance, Furuno etc as well.

Good Luck.