Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 July 2022, 14:21   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hope valley
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 23
Isolator recommendations

Hi All,

I am going to rewire my rib and planning on replacing the isolator and installing an 8 way fuse box with negative bus. Question is can you get an isolator that will still supply power to the bilge pump when it is switch off or will the bilge pump need to be wired straight back to the battery wit h an inline fuse? Planning on putting in an on - off - (on) switch for the bilge pump!!
__________________

__________________
Bigair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2022, 15:00   #2
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,196
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigair View Post
Hi All,



I am going to rewire my rib and planning on replacing the isolator and installing an 8 way fuse box with negative bus. Question is can you get an isolator that will still supply power to the bilge pump when it is switch off or will the bilge pump need to be wired straight back to the battery wit h an inline fuse? Planning on putting in an on - off - (on) switch for the bilge pump!!


Normal practice is to wire the bilge pump from the incoming side of the isolator via a fuse.
__________________

__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2022, 15:18   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hope valley
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Normal practice is to wire the bilge pump from the incoming side of the isolator via a fuse.
That's beautifully simple thanks.
__________________
Bigair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2022, 21:18   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica/ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115/ Honda 100
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigair View Post
Hi All,

I am going to rewire my rib and planning on replacing the isolator and installing an 8 way fuse box with negative bus. Question is can you get an isolator that will still supply power to the bilge pump when it is switch off or will the bilge pump need to be wired straight back to the battery wit h an inline fuse? Planning on putting in an on - off - (on) switch for the bilge pump!!
Simple is best imho but theres always a product waiting to help you spend on your boat !!
https://seamarknunn.com/cgi-bin/sh00...2ehtml#SID=741
__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2022, 21:33   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hope valley
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Simple is best imho but theres always a product waiting to help you spend on your boat !!
https://seamarknunn.com/cgi-bin/sh00...2ehtml#SID=741
Don't think we need anything to help us spend on boats
__________________
Bigair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2022, 09:26   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,656
RIBase
It also still needs power to it hence PD's solution of wiring to the battery side of the isolator.

I have two powered bilge pumps - one large one that is wired to the isolated side of the isolator. It's either on or off. I then have the smallest auto Rule pump that is wired to the battery side of the isolator with a switch that is either auto or off.

It's wired to the leisure battery so even if I accidentally leave it on, I'll still be able to start the engine.

The BlueSea website is quite good for wiring ideas (and kit).
__________________

__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 21:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.